Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
musicfan01

Yet another Accutane journal

DAY 1

I am actually taking Sotret, a generic form of Accutane. My doc is staring me on 30mgs once a day and i have to finish my doxycycline, which i was taking, (50mg) once a day for five days. then after a week of the tane, i take two 30mgs a day. I am using Carmex for my lips and the doc gave me some Purpose moistorizer...anyone using that??

I just swallowed my first pill at 8:56 PM EST so there really isnt much to say...it took me like 15 minutes to finally swallow the thing. i was kinda nervous...i can only hope for the best :pray:

My plan is to update this log once a week...guess i'll make it on fridays.

Feel free to reply...

mf01

I used carmex when I was on my first and second round of accutane...however I just like found out a month ago that carmex is really really bad for your lips..I guess it has to do with some chemical it has in it...lol I use aquaphor when my lips were reaaaaaal dry but that really didn't happen when I was on my second round..I guess my body was just use to the effects accutane had. All I know is that accutane blows! I hope it works better for you that it did for me cry.gif good luck! biggrin.gif

I've been on Accutane for about 3 weeks, my cystic acne improved a little. I've really bloated up the doctor had me on Sterapred and Accutane at the same time. I'm suprised I'm still a little broken out, it is getting on my nerves fighting this acne thing. I took Accutane about 10 years ago and I was successful. My acne has become a little more stubborn. I hope to improve the texture of the skin and color soon. I've been using Burt's Bees Lip Balm, it has helped with the chapped lips.

I used carmex when I was on my first and second round of accutane...however I just like found out a month ago that carmex is really really bad for your lips..I guess it has to do with some chemical it has in it...lol I use aquaphor when my lips were reaaaaaal dry but that really didn't happen when I was on my second round..I guess my body was just use to the effects accutane had. All I know is that accutane blows!  I hope it works better for you that it did for me  cry.gif  good luck!  biggrin.gif

DAY 2

I woke up this morning and looked at my the top of hand and it was very red, swollen, and itchy. I'm not sure if this is from a bug bite, or if it's a side effect from the medicine. I read the medication guide and it said "Stop taking Sotret and call your prescriber if you develop a fever, rash, or red patches or bruises on your legs." Now i'm not sure if that means stop taking it if the rash is just on your legs...or any where on your body. Has anyone had this?

Relax about the rash, you wont get side effects for a few more days. Any sife effect you have now is probably all in your head.

Forget the carmex, burts bees is the way to go.

DAY 4

ok well about the rash thing...we called the pharmacist on saturday and she said that it could be a rare reaction to the medicine and i should stop taking it until i can talk to the derm. Today, my mom called the derm and he said it was probably a coinsidence, but it could have also been a very, very rare reaction. He said that i should go ahead and take a pill tonight and see what happens. I am PRAYING that it was just a coinsidence, and it will all be fine.

I haven't had any other side effects so far. I am applying the lip stuff and that's it.

I'll update if anything new happens...

mf01

DAY 8

Well, not much has happened since my last update. I dont think that the rash i got was related to the medication, so I was happy about that.

Side Effects (so far):

Slightly dry lips..but it's probably just in my head

...and I think that's it. I am breaking out in places I normally don't like under my chin. I havent really broken out real bad in a while, but now I am. I am not sure if this is part of the initial breakout.

As of today, I havent used anything on my face but the Dove Sensitive Skin Fragrence Free soap bar. My face has not dried up yet, so I don't want to use moisturizer until it is necessary. Tomorrow will be my last day taking Doxy in the morning. Starting Sunday, I will take the Accutane twice a day.

So to sum it up, everything's going fine.

I'll update if anything new happens, and if not, then I will be back next Friday!

PEACE--

mf01

DAY 16

I didn't update yesterday because I have been really busy...

Lets just say my face looks like....crap. The initial breakout is really kicking my ass. My face is whitehead city right now and they are extremely embarrassing. There is so much crap on my face that is hurts when I wash my face. sad.gif

Side effects:

-Extremely dry face - using Purpose moisturizer for that

-Dry lips..not necessarily chapped, but just dry - still using Carmex and it works great!

-Very dry eyes - using Visine Dry Eye Relief and it isn't working that great

-Mild back pain especially after sitting/standing in one position for awhile. It hurts when I move.

-I am also getting headaches a lot more. The good thing is they go away very quickly. confused.gif

That's about it...i'll be back next week unless something happens

NEXT DREM APPT: Friday, April 15, 2005

mf01

DAY 14

I didn't update yesterday because I have been really busy...

Lets just say my face looks like....crap. The initial breakout is really kicking my ass. My face is whitehead city right now and they are extremely embarrassing. There is so much crap on my face that is hurts when I wash my face.  sad.gif

Side effects:

-Extremely dry face - using Purpose moisturizer for that

-Dry lips..not necessarily chapped, but just dry - still using Carmex and it works great!

-Very dry eyes - using Visine Dry Eye Relief and it isn't working that great

-Mild back pain especially after sitting/standing in one position for awhile. It hurts when I move.

-I am also getting headaches a lot more. The good thing is they go away very quickly.  confused.gif

That's about it...i'll be back next week unless something happens

NEXT DREM APPT: Friday, April 15, 2005

mf01

My face is dry after washing and it doesnt really become oily afterward. It is 'dry' pretty much all the time...but its really dry after i wash.

Hope that answers your question

mf01

DAY 21

quick update--

I don't know if the Accutane is causing this, but my throat is really, really dry. I am not sure if it is just a coinsidence or if the tane is causing it to be so dry...anyone experienced this before??

Thanks

**ALBUM UPDATED**

DAY 22 (23..past midnight)

Not much has changed. My throat is fine now, but my nose is stuffy. I think I just have a cold or something.

Anyway, the side effects really haven't changed. Still got the lower back pain and dry lips. My face is peeling really bad along with my arms and neck. I use a ton of moisturizer on my face, but I don't think I'm drinking enough water.

I went to the derm today for the monthly blood test. He didn't change my dosage so it's still 30mg twice a day. He said he couln't believe that it has cleared me up so much in just three weeks eusa_dance.gif . I can't wait to see what it's like at the end!!

I will update my album every two weeks, so it will be updated some time next week (probably Friday 4/22).

Hasta luego mis amigos...

DAY 33 (1 MONTH eusa_dance.gif, 2 days)

So, I survived my first month of Accutane. Since my last update, things have gotten a little worse. I was all happy that my face was finally starting to quiet down and then I got a couple small breakouts, but they were nothing I couldn't handle.

Side Effects:

~Very dry, bloodshot eyes - was using Visine Dry Eye Relief but it wasn't working so now I'm using Clear Eyes and it's ok..

~Dry Face - moisturize, moisturize, moisturize (sometimes I wonder if I am putting too much on... eusa_think.gif )

~Dry Arms..peeling a little bit - using moisturizer

~Dry Ears (?)...the outer part is peeling a little

~ Back pain...subsided GREATLY! not nearly as bad as the first couple weeks. wonder why...?

~This one is kinda gross- greenish/yellowish urine...i think it's because I'm not drinking enough water, but I am working on that...

~Very tired...not sure if it's a side effect. just thougt i'd mention it...

I think that's it for now. I didn't update my album because I am lazy...i might do it this weekend.

LATER

mf01

DAY 30 (1 MONTH  eusa_dance.gif )

So, I survived my first month of Accutane. Since my last update, things have gotten a little worse. I was all happy that my face was finally starting to quiet down and then I got a couple small breakouts, but they were nothing I couldn't handle.

Side Effects:

~Very dry, bloodshot eyes - was using Visine Dry Eye Relief but it wasn't working so now I'm using Clear Eyes and it's ok..

~Dry Face - moisturize, moisturize, moisturize (sometimes I wonder if I am putting too much on... eusa_think.gif )

~Dry Arms..peeling a little bit - using moisturizer

~Dry Ears (?)...the outer part is peeling a little

~ Back pain...subsided GREATLY! not nearly as bad as the first couple weeks. wonder why...?

~This one is kinda gross- greenish/yellowish urine...i think it's because I'm not drinking enough water, but I am working on that...

~Very tired...not sure if it's a side effect. just thougt i'd mention it...

I think that's it for now. I didn't update my album because I am lazy...i might do it this weekend.

LATER

mf01

DAY 39 (1 month, 8 days)

I am not feeling too great about my face right now. Things were going almost too good...then i started to breakout again. blah. I will say that it is partly my fault because I had a coke for the first time in months..and i also found some left over easter candy (whoops)...so I think that may be a cause for this thing I am going through. I HATE it that you can't pop whiteheads when on this crap...i have a fairly large and noticable right below my cheek bone. this sucks..and the bad part is I still have four more months of it doubt.gif

SIDE EFFECTS

~Dry Eyes: Now using "Refresh Liquigel for Moderate to Severe Dry Eye" and it works GREAT! I haven't even put a drop in today!

~Dry Face: Not NEARLY as bad as it was in the beginning...you can barely tell that my face is dry. I am still using the Purpose moisturizer

~Minor back pain: actually I should say rare back pain...not as bad as the beginning

that's about all the effects as of right now...

BTW: today on the tv, a local news station did a report on Accutane and it's affects on the brain. They did a very small, local study on depression and if it is as big as a deal as the FDA is putting it...and they said it was. It kinda worried me a little bit. they said stuff I already knew like "Accutane increases the (blah blah blah) in the brain and causes depression and mood swings and (blah blah blah)" you get the jist, right? I am just a little worried about the depression. I have never really experienced depression, and when I think I am starting to get a little down in the dumps, I always play my favorite song really really loud! It sure makes a difference!

hope all is well with all you other taners!

mf01

album will be updated sometime this week...i promise! eusa_angel.gif

FYI: I have gone through and changed all my "Day --" things because i have been off...they should be right know

DAY 72

WOW...haven't updated this in a looong time. things haven't changed...at all. i broke out a little last week and it is clearing now. that is pretty much the only real "breakout" i have had in a while.

All the side effects are the same. My back pain is pretty much gone though. I am still using the same stuff for my dry lips and dry face.

by the way...school is out for me so not being so stressed might help...right?

mf01