Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was on minocycline for about 5 months until I recently stopped. After I stopped, I started breaking out really, really bad. My derm said this is normal because your body can't handle the withdraw. I'm not sure how long it will take to get back to normal. Basically, antibiotics after time kill all the good bacteria in the body, and then the body depends on the bad bacteria, antibiotics. Remember, we all can't depend on drugs, although they help for some time. They are bad, and there are natural ways to cure and treat acne. Acne is an illness, and drugs just are a temp solution. I'm a firm believer of this.

I'm a firm believer that antibiotics are a temporary solution but I'm also a firm believer that there are NOT any natural cures or solutions, I've not seen any before/after photos on this site or anywhere to show that some has actually cleared up by natural means

yeah antibiotics are really bad. I was on mino for 8 weeks and now I'm on accutane so we'll see...

As for good bacteria, yes antibiotics kill it too....

I was on minocycline for about 5 months until I recently stopped. After I stopped, I started breaking out really, really bad. My derm said this is normal because your body can't handle the withdraw. I'm not sure how long it will take to get back to normal. Basically, antibiotics after time kill all the good bacteria in the body, and then the body depends on the bad bacteria, antibiotics. Remember, we all can't depend on drugs, although they help for some time. They are bad, and there are natural ways to cure and treat acne. Acne is an illness, and drugs just are a temp solution. I'm a firm believer of this.

When i stopped minocycline my acne didn't come back WORSE than ever, it just came back the way it used to be...i agree that it is stupid to take antibiotics as it's only a temp solution but if my acne only gets better from it i don't see any harm.

Your body (after a certain while) can become immune to anti-biotics. Then your acne will come back with a vengeance. I was on Tetracycline for months and my face cleared up, then I stopped. I went back to taking it in higher dosage and so no affect.

does using an antibiotic as a topical lotion still bring the same complications (building a resistance, etc.) as taking the pill?has anyone here ever used clindamax? it's a lotion from clindamycin. i'm really wary of using it now, but my derm prescribed it to me! i don't want my acne to come back worse! someone help!

Yes, you can and will develop a resistance to topical antibiotics. I don't think that it's common for your acne to come back *worse* than before you started, but it's obviously happened to some people here.

If you're scared of resistance to topical antibiotics, you can try BenzaClin or Duac, which are amalgams of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin. Apparently your acne is much less likely to become resistance to the combination of the two than to either product alone. It can be really drying, though.

Antibiotics ain't so bad, in my opinion. Even if they only work for six months, that's six more months of clarity than you would have otherwise had!

i was on antibiotics for a few months my skin improved every so slightly not enuff to see a difference wen i came off them for a few months nothing changed my acne has never got worse it just stays the same or gets slightly better then goes bk to wat i was -_- now im back on antibiotics but i dnt see the point they're fucking shit they do piss all i also use cream as well

I was on a range of anitbiotics for about 8 years, on and off, and I truly believe they made my skin worse in the long run. I think it was long term antibiotics that led to my extremely severe break out a few years back, and I also think it was being on antibiotics long term that led to my acne being so chronic. When I gave them up in favour of accupunture and then the BP regimen, my skin cleared up. My skin has been clear for about 8 months now, apart from the occasional spot. Take them for a few weeks people, but don't get hooked. Look for other solutions. If you're young, you don't want to end up like me, having acne for 11 years.

Guest Avian
Yep - antibiotics  kill all bacteria and that is why you need to replace the good ones with pro biotics.  It is a MUST.  My son takes

Acidophillus Pearlsâ„¢ from Enzymatic Therapy

He gets them at the Health Food store but here is a website that explains them and where you can purchase them.

http://www.biogro.us/acidophiluspearls.html

Antibiotics only target certain bacteria don't they? Although sometimes they can kill the wrong ones by mistake.

If you get resistant to one type of antibiotics, you can always switch to another. There are enough types to keep you going for maybe 2-3 years.

I was on a range of anitbiotics for about 8 years, on and off, and I truly believe they made my skin worse in the long run.  I think it was long term antibiotics that led to my extremely severe break out a few years back, and I also think it was being on antibiotics long term that led to my acne being so chronic.  When I gave them up in favour of accupunture and then the BP regimen, my skin cleared up.  My skin has been clear for about 8 months now, apart from the occasional spot.  Take them for a few weeks people, but don't get hooked.  Look for other solutions.  If you're young, you don't want to end up like me, having acne for 11 years.

this thread is horribly misinformed.

First of all... antibiotics like minocycline do NOT kill good bacteria.

2nd... after you stop taking it... your acne will NOT come back twice as worse as before. Why Would it? If anything it will be alot better... or the same as it was before