Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1-s0uljah

Risking termination of Accutane Treatment

Hey guys.. i've read some posts of people getting cancelled on their accutane because of liver problems.. i've been drinking alot lately.. and maybe some other drugs.. these substances put alot of pressure onto my liver.. if i continue taking these substances.. will this risk my accutane treatement?

Do you get tested monthly? I was the same way, I drank a good bit and do some other things, and got checked bimonthly.

My last blood test, they showed a higher level, but thats all that happend, they didnt take me off.

I found while on accutane, it would take me half the amount of alcohol to get me drunk, I found that odd.

GO: im sorry >.<

I do get tested monthly.. but this has been my first month of accutane.. so i havent gotten tested while on accutane.. yea i realized how little alcohol it took to get me smashed..

I don't think drinking is worth risking my liver, or my answer to clear skin.

If you are really serious about being happy and healthy, you should take the accutane seriously too.

I have totally given up drinking while on accutane. And I have given up all my junk food too, to help keep ann my tests in check. Because I want to stay on accutane, and I want it to work for me. I am not doing anything that will jeopordize my treatment.

I think you all should too.

But, to each, his own.

This is just my opinion.............

some people would do anything to have a chance at Accutane.. since not many people are even giving the oppurtunity to take the medication.. don;t spoil it for everyone else..give up drinking for 5 months and be strict with the Accutane and have fun after that..

If you are going to party and use various substances on Accutane, you might want to look into Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root and a liver cleanser supplement. These supplements will help to protect your liver. In addition, drink a ton of water.

There are certain substances that will effect your liver more than others. If you feel that you absolutely must continue doing whatever it is you are doing, please educate yourself and be aware of what your body is going through with these substances in combination with a hardcore drug such as Accutane. You can find a ton of information regarding the effects of certain drugs and alcohol on your body just by performing a search on Google.

Also, unless the results of your blood test come back abnormal, your doctor probably won’t pull you off of Accutane.

Still, I want you to think about all this. Think about your body. Think about your health. If you are not going to stop, you might want to consider slowing down while you are on Accutane. Love yourself, k?

Accutane in my opinion isn't as "hardcore" as it is made out to be. For some people it might cause severe problems, but these individuals are a small minority. My derm actually asked me if I had been doing heavy drinking after my blood test showed high liver enzyme levels.. I don't drink, so the increase was definately caused by accutane. By working out a lot more than before and taking a liver cleansing pill I got the levels back to normal.

Soujah: if your derm doesnt say anything after your next blood test result I wouldn't worry, if he does then stop drinking-- simple as that. The derm won't take you off of tane unless your liver enzyme levels are dangerously high. I think the only way they could be THAT high is if you drink a lot leading up to the test.. if you stop like a week or two before you should be fine.

But even if your tests don't show anything that doesn't mean that your liver isn't undergoing severe stress during your bouts of debauchery. The liver can stop working during a state of shock. Don't think that your organs "owe you" a fair warning which you would become aware of during blood testing.

im just gonna drink alot of water to clean out my system and avoid the drugs and alcohol.. my blood test is tommorow..

Here is something that you should know about your liver and alcohol. It takes one hour to process one drink. If you have more than one drink, what your liver cannot process is being stored in the fatty cells and your blood work will show high levels of triglycerides. Accutane also increases triglycerides. So if you drink and take Accutane, you are potentially taxing your liver beyond what it is capable. From what I understand, liver failure is one of the most painful things that you can die of.

Drugs such as cocaine and heroin also overload your liver as well. So if you are doing a combination of these things, you are doing twice as much damage - - if not more.

I do consider Accutane to be a hardcore drug because out of all the drugs I’ve experienced in the past, none have delivered so many side effects nor have I needed to be so cautious about things from getting pregnant to taking Vitamin A while on a drug. It is essentially a near fatal amount of synthetic Vitamin A that not only effects your liver, but every other organ starting with the skin. Although some pamphlets don’t mention drug and alcohol use while on Accutane and most dermatologists don’t think to mention it, I can’t imagine that it is good or okay in anyway.

I drank a ton while on accutane, and limited my drug usage to only 1 thing, that I did maybe 3-4 times.

When drinking dont drink your normal amount, drink half, you will notice the big difference.

My biggest mistake was drinking like I used to when I wasnt on accutane and getting very sick.

Both Accutane and alcohol dehydrate you so a severe hangover shouldn’t be too much of a surprised. Drink a lot of water and take it easy. You might want to skip today’s dose since your liver is probably angry enough at you.

Ello...

I started a topic a while ago tracking my progress on Accutane, but with the flood of new topics being posted since then, I can't seem to locate it. Anyways, I'll post here since what I want to say is related to liver function.

I went for the follow-up appointment with my derm today. I've been on 20mg daily for 2 months. Anyways, my cheeks are not cleared yet, so I project that I'll be on it for another 4-7 months or so. However, I was really bummed out when I got the results of my 1st blood test which was done one month after I got on therapy. My lipid levels were all within the normal range but still, the values were on the high side. One of my liver enzymes (AST/SGOT), was quite elevated (65U/L). The upper limit of normal is 40U/L. The rest of the liver enzymes were well within normal range. In view of the situation, my derm did a 3rd blood test to check my liver function again. I so hope it doesn't go up further, otherwise, there might be a chance that I would have to discontinue the drug.

My liver is under quite a bit of stress although I never had a penchant for drinking. In fact, I've never drunk before in my entire life. Problem is, I'm taking a few other prescription drugs. Thanks for pointing out that drinking a lot of water might help. : ) My derm didn't say anything about adding a liver protecting supplement and I forgot to ask. Am going to look up milk thistle to see if it would help my situation. But I just hate being on so many drugs and supplements. arrrghhh!!

Accutane is working wonderfully for me and it would be such a pity to stop it since nothing else is ever going to be that effective. My derm did mention that there's a possibility that the liver enzymes would return to normal with prolonged use of Accutane as the body adjusts itself to the drug. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this might be the case.

The worst thing to do is to destroy your liver because it virtually effects all other organs of your body. There was a recent case here where an actress took a chinese herbal medicine adulterated with fenfluramine which is hepatotoxic. She eventually became jaundiced and went into liver failure. She would have expired if her boyfriend's liver had not matched hers. She was lucky that her boyrfriend donated part of his liver to her and now they're married! Ain't that sweet? Okay, I'm digressing. Just feeling a little bummed out.

Take good care of your health, both mentally and physically.

Michelle

Michelle: Thank you so much for posting that information. I think many times people forget how important certain organs are and fail to understand the damage they are doing to themselves by taking certain drugs and drinking. Accutane and prescription medications included in that equation.

If you want to track your progress on Accutane, start a journal: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=6

Michelle:  Thank you so much for posting that information.  I think many times people forget how important certain organs are and fail to understand the damage they are doing to themselves by taking certain drugs and drinking.  Accutane and prescription medications included in that equation.

If you want to track your progress on Accutane, start a journal: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=6