Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OptimusPrime

TCA CROSS on large scars

Can one treat large, saucer-shaped scars with TCA CROSS? If so, how do you do it? A single prick with the toothpick in the center of the scar? Or multiple pricks in the depressed area? Or some other way...

I would ere on the side of caution, and just do a single shot in the middle of the scar at first and see how you respond.

My doctor was too aggressive with one of my scarred pores and poked it several times which created a big nasty hypopigmented spot that looks way worse than the original scar. cry.gif

hols,

Did the scar level up to the rest of your skin or is it still indented? ...i thought of using a q-tip for the larger scars.

I would ere on the side of caution, and just do a single shot in the middle of the scar at first and see how you respond.

My doctor was too aggressive with one of my scarred pores and poked it several times which created a big nasty hypopigmented spot that looks way worse than the original scar.  cry.gif

Can one treat large, saucer-shaped scars with TCA CROSS?  If so, how do you do it?  A single prick with the toothpick in the center of the scar? Or multiple pricks in the depressed area?  Or some other way...

I've treated saucer shaped scars with 50% TCA.  I use a toothpick and very lightly go over the whole depressed area.  I think I see some improvement but can't say for sure.  It's not doing anything detrimental, though.

hols,

Did the scar level up to the rest of your skin or is it still indented? ...i thought of using a q-tip for the larger scars.

I apply the tca to the entire boxcar scar and so far it has worked. One thing i do different which i think nobody has done is I needle the scar first to get it level with surrounding skin and then cross it.. This has worked on several crater boxcars ive have and 3 of them are completly level with the skin

I apply the tca to the entire boxcar scar and so far it has worked. One thing i do different which i think nobody has done is I needle the scar first to get it level with surrounding skin and then cross it.. This has worked on several crater boxcars ive have and 3 of them are completly level with the skin

dermadude: Yes, I would like to know this too. How does one 'needle' a scar. And what tool do you use to apply the TCA to the entire depressed area of the scar? And another thing. Isn't applying TCA to a larger area dangerous because it creates too much damage? Please share your experience! smile.gif

Maybe some photos of the treated scars would be nice also.

I think I read that that you sort of spread the tca in the pit with the toothpick staying in the borders and then start pressing in the scar at different points with the toothpick no more than 3 seconds at each point. The idea of pressing the toothpick is so the tca will get into the 2nd and third layers where the sunken scar is bound down. Keep in mind that this is not a one time procedure especially with large deep pitted scars. It could take 4 to 8 trys over a 4 to 8 month period with 65% or higher tca.

By the way-use a surgical glove and designate an old contact lens case for the tca but the tca must be stored in the glass bottle it came with. You can carefully pour the unused tca from the contact lens holder back into the glass vile. Dont store the tca in the plastic contact lens case and rinse it well when done. It is supposedly the best way to do tca cross without fumbling with the glass vile for dipping the toothpick. Also never use it for contact lenses again. lol

my experience with tca sucked, i think my scars got worse. Anyone who wants to try think twice. it isnt worth doing it stay with original scar. Tca is best used for only deep ice pick holes..

People on this board have said it's also good for any scar type...better be, as i have many rolling that i will treat tca on. redface.gif

EHgirl, I just want to caution you on the idea of using a q-tip to apply the TCA. I've read posts here from people who said it dripped and ran onto skin they did not intend to treat. Also, I don't think you can get the pressure you need to cause the pentration into the lower dermal layers. Good Luck!

DO NOT USE A Q TIP IT WILL SPREAD TO YOUR BRAIN AND CAUSE YOUR BRAIN CELLS TO COAGULATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im the first to try my method of needling and then crossing right after and I defintely have improvement. I use a diabetic lance to needle the scar till its level with the skin then apply the tca after. Dont ask me how it works cause im not a brain surgeon but the idea sounded good and worked. hehe

I dont use that method on ice pick though!

Derma, how long do you wait after needling to apply tca? Also, how long has it been since your've done this? HAve the results lasted?

I wait till the blood stop flowing then i wipe it with a alchhol based toner. At that point the scar is level with the skin then I apply the tca....

One thing i do is circle the area that im gonna cross and make it slightly larger then the actual scar since I have gone through trial and error I put the tca a little bit on the outside of the scar. For some reason after the scab falls off its more level with the surrounding skin..

I have pretty much eradicated a couple of boxcar scar and one rolling scar... its been one month and where the scar used to be matches the surround skin so im fairly positive that it going to stay that way

Wow, that is really interesting, dermadude. I would think that apply TCA acid on a needled scar would cause quite a burning sensation. Do you use an toothpick to apply the TCA, and if you do, do you press the toothpick into the scar, or do you use a q-tip or something and just lightly glaze the needled scar with the TCA?

Please keep us updated and thanks for the reply.

-dj

hmmmmmmmmmm, i thought of using a q-tip for my finger tip size scars/indents ...i would certainly make sure the q-tip was not drippy or anything like that....and then, toothpicks for the smaller ice picks....i'm not sure if using a toothpick for all scar sizes is ideal?...what do u guys think?

cool.gif

all a q tip is is a small piece of cotton on the end of a stick. iadvise againt using it just for the simple fact you cant really controll how much tca you soak up on it

i use a toothpick with the end chopped off... for icepick yu wanna leave it on but for larger scars i see no point in using a toothpick so i cut the end off so its flat

eusa_think.gif i don't understand why some people r not washing tca off after 5 min like the instructions advise us to?...if it's self neutralizing, why do they give u neutralizer?...i just crossed a scarred pore inbetween my eyebrows..lol....i had to do it a couple times until i saw it frosting...i don't want to rinse it off or bother with the neutralizer....by the way, tca smells alot like perm solution!...i'm a hairstylist so i'm very familiar with the smell. lol.gif