Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beijing

Saw the surgeon and felt depressed

sorry about my english, I am not native speaker.Today I just went to the laser center and consulted with a dermotologist about my scars. He told me to wait 4 more months for scars healing themselves and then I can try IPL treatment, which includes 5 sessions and costs $2500, and the best improvement could be only 50%. He also make it clear that there is no way to remove acne scars so far.

I was clear one year ago when I came to Canada. but now..... Today the incurable disease SARS is spreading in my home country. I plan to go back there and can be fortunate enough to be infectted by SARS. Even death would be better than strugglling with scars in my long later life.

Really really depressed :):D:lol: I am hopeless

I know its depressing, but thats just one derms opinion. If you're not happy with him go and see another one. There seem to be so many procedures on offer, so don't lose hope. I am yet to do anything about my scarring as I am on Accutane at the moment, but I am optimistic.

I would get several opinions from Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons before you get depressed. You have more options than just laser. Here are a few possibilities to look into:

- subcision

- needling

- non-ablative lasers (n-lite, smoothbeam, cooltouch II)

and others as well.

Use your time wisely to research the treatments available to you.

In the meantime, hang in there as best as you can and know that you are not alone. :)

It is true you can't truly get rid of scars, but you can definately improve them, I'm not sure where you're from , but you should go to plastic surgeons and get other opinions, I've gotten a lot of improvement in my own skin from home peels and people have a hard time believing my scars were noticeable, although they were not really deep. I've had non ablative laser done and it is a lot of money and it just makes your skin tighter, but does not improve the scars, also it depends on what type of scarring you have and how extensive, Feel free to ask me questions, but I'm going out of town on Friday so I may not be able to check my email for a few days, but there is hope, I spent years waiting for a scar to be taken care of on my cheek, I was told nothing could be done, and then one day I went to check with a plastic surgeon and he excised it out and now it is barely noticeable

It really bothers me to hear people say that being dead would be better than having scars, or acne or any affliction that makes you look different to the herd.

Having scarring, on your face or on your body is not any reason to doubt yourself intellectually, spiritually or socially. In fact, I beleieve people who have faced adversity, no matter how trivial, are blessed with a compassion and knowledge that the majority of folks are not.

I can understand how they get you down, I'm sure everyone here has had some sort of let down from a derm or from a doctor who has given little to no option for a real solution, but rest assured there IS one and you WILL find it.

Hell, they can transplant a pig's heart into a human body, grow babies in test tubes, make the blind see again ... it stands to reason that they can certainly fix a few marks on a person's face. Technology and ideas in the field advance constantly and even some old traditional approaches such as accupuncture can have some extreme benefits to scarring.

Have you looked into needling at all ... maybe give that thread a looksee and then see if you still feel so down. There are always new options.

Please cheer up and know that you are not only about your skin and its condition.

:)

Good attitude Emit! I wish I could be more positive like you but I too feel depressed at time due to my scar ridden face. It makes me so insecure and I hate feeling that way. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

JP

JP and Beijing I understand how hard it is to live with scars on one's face, but we're not only faces, skins or scars. Emit is so right about that. You are a special person who I'm sure has many skills and attributes that can make scars invisible to anyone who look at you. :D Concentrate on your inner self rather than your face.

Give your body sometime to heal itself and PLEASE do not stick to the ideas of one doctor. Please beware that they will try to assert you some unrealistic but very expensive solutions from which they can earn better than simpler and cheaper solutions. :twisted:

I know many people who got rid of all scarring with Accutane treatment.

I also suffered from scarring and I'm now using AHA-based treatment for scars. It takes longer than other chemical methods to heal, but it lets the skin heal naturally on its own.

Also be careful about BP. I was prescribed BP by a derm and I realised that it actually scarred worse than ever. I changed my derm and the new one told me that the prescribed regimen was actually a maltreatment. Accordingly, BP is a very strong drug which does not work well for all skin types.

AHA's can work wonders on scars if the scars are not very very deep. Go out and look for alternative methods, the exact impact of laser treatments on skin are yet to be studied in full detail and they don't know the adverse effects on inner layers of the skin.

In the meantime, take care of yourself, treat yourself with your hobbies, take long walks in the lovely spring weather and get some sunshine :) Don't skip sunscreen, of course!

Hey - we all have moments of big time insecurity - weather it be from facial scars or from our own inability to feel safe within our own skin.

I have a lot of friends who are very beautiful by society's standards and they have severe issues with dealing with people in a one-on-one manner. They have had all these pic staken and don't want people to see them with a zit, or a mark or a slight scar from a zit.

It happens to us ALL.

Beleive me, models are no different, although they may have great skin compared to some acne sufferers, they too have their scars and imperfections that need hiding [these are hidden by photoshopping the pics on computer]

Models are the most insecure people alive. I guess that's because they live in fear of being caught in full sunlight by fans and being photographed.

Being 'beautiful' doesnt make people feel any less self aware - in fact it's a moreso situation and lends to make them neurotic in a sense.

Don't be too highly strung over your skin. We all have bad days ...

:)

sorry about my english, I am not native speaker.Today I just went to the laser center and consulted with a dermotologist about my scars.  He told me to wait 4 more months for scars healing themselves and then I can try IPL treatment, which includes 5 sessions and costs $2500, and the best improvement could be only 50%. He also make it clear that there is no way to remove acne scars so far.

I was clear one year ago when I came to Canada. but now..... Today the incurable disease SARS is spreading in my home country. I plan to go back there and can be fortunate enough to be infectted by SARS. Even death would be better than strugglling with scars in my long later life.

Really really depressed :)  :D  :lol: I am hopeless

May i know the derm that u had consulted from is from china or canada?

Nah m8 take it easy. Believe that there are so many methods available that you can at least improve your scars by 70 - 80 percent which is so much that they will be barely noticable.

I just visited a derm/surgeon two days ago and she told me, we can get almost 100 percent result by 99 percent of your scars and 70 - 80 percent by those deeper ones. The deeper ones can be then filled in by colagen or some other materials that last longer than colangen to smooth my face. So she told me, yes, whit a combination of more methods it is possible to make your face so good, that without really close and very near long focus there wont by any chance to see my scarring.

But one thing she made clear right from the beginning, its a longer way, dont expect to have resurfacing and in one month to have a smooth skin, its needed to start with non-ablative lasers to get rid of all discolorations and improve the scars as much as possible with this non-invasive way, then I ll have resurfacing on some areas if still needing and wanting ! Hey maybe the 70 percent improvement that can be reached will make you so happy, that you will be satisfied. She also told me to start with non-invasive ways first, be patient and the results will come.

Just keep your head up and keep on hoping and fighting. My scars have never affected my life in any way, only ppl let them.

And I think by scarring is quite bad ... tho ppl dont think so but you always see things more negative on yourself than the others. But it is not so deep I think.

Simply change your Doc and you will see.

Yeah i know how you feel. Two Dr's have told me that there was nothing i could do. That was a while back though. Some pastic surgeons don't have enough experience with scarring so they respond negatively.

Tnank you all for encouraging me! But I suppose I still need a long time to rebuild my confidence.

Doctors always say the healing period would be six months after acne and suggest me to decide if I need a laser surgery by then.

I am wondering what changes the scars which I can notice now would be in these 6 months. deeper or flatter? or nothing different except redness fading. and what should I do in these 6 months.

Hope we will have a great relief some day!

Nobody give me some opion?

After doing some search through internet, I realize that is only my dream. scars cannot heal themselves and they jsut become more apparent!

But I have to wait becasue they won't do laser on me until I go through these healing period. I can't wait now. even though the treatment, IPL, is probably just wasting of money.

Life is so tough :)

Beijing, don't worry about your scars and have optimism with technology. I have scars on my cheeks as well and have tried laser treatment which make them less deep, but of course it didn't bring my baby-smooth-skin back. I'm sure that in a few years technology will bring something good for us acne-scar sufferers!

I think you just have to be confident, take good care of your skin, show what a fantastic person you are and soon you will find that there are heaps of people who love you because of you, not because of your skin, and maybe if you think about the starving kids in Africa, you will realise how foolish our problems seem compared to theirs :oops:

In the meantime, just be confident and show your traits.. if you keep thinking about your skin it will only bring you down so think about other features you like about yourself, maybe your hair, your arms or legs.. and show people that you have great personality, then your skin wouldn't really matter much!

RELL - Can u tell us what treatments u had for ur scars?    :)

Hi sorimachi. Sure :wink:

The first time I treated my scars, I used these creams that worked like a mild chemical peel. They peeled my skin everyday and made my skin very tight and shiny and it kept doing it to shed the old skin off. When I was using these creams I never got pimples, but if I missed applying them for one day then my skin would look ugly - oily yet dead skin cells everywhere :D

The creams did improve my skin but I would have to keep using it and I didn't think I would be able to get off it, so I stopped and my skin went crazy - the cheeks were dry, yet the T-zone were oily and I started getting pimples again.

I went back to my home country for holidays and I went to a dermatologist who gave me laser treatment to my scars. I had some pretty deep holes on my cheeks so she lasered them one by one and it was a very painful process - yes I cried - but it was also very natural. She basically 'burned' the scarred skin with the laser so it got wounded, and when the skin grew back it would become less deeper than before. The laser worked in few scars but there were some that were quite deep that she injected Placenta into them and I had to say that it was very satisfactory. The lasered scars took a while to heal, because every month they grew about 0.5 mm.

Now when I observe my face, I can see that the deep scars look red but they were basically not as deep and because they are red it means that the skin is still developing.

*phew*

Quite a story huh? Right now I am overseas so I can't go back to her but she is a great dermatologist. I still have some scars that are quite deep and I would have loved to go back to her again. The laser treatment was excruciating but it really worth it!

I just got some medicine sent by post from my Mam and that made me cry. We haven't seen each other for 10 months. She is so worried about me. I really really miss her and dream of hugging her every night.