Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Has anyone had their hypertrophic scars excised by a surgeon? -- If so, how were the results??

Posted
Has anyone had their hypertrophic scars excised by a surgeon? -- If so, how were the results??

Posted

I had a hypertrophic scar removed from my forehead last June. The diameter of the scar was about 1 cm, the thin scar left after it about 1, 5 cm. It looked so much better though. It was thin and white. And after my CO2 laser session three weeks ago I can hardly see it anymore.

Before I my dermatologist tried cryogenic nitrogen and laser on it, but it kept coming back.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.smile.gif

Posted

I'm wondering which is better for slightly raised hypetrophies (not even red or purple anymore): first try cortisone injections to even them out with surrounding sking or just get them excised and be left with a fine thin line?

klaara: how long after the surgery was your line scar red still red? I'm getting excisions in April and Er:YAG resurfacing in July/August. So i'm hoping the laser will smooth out the lines.

Posted

I've tried creams, injections (weekly for months), and lasers. Nothing is working. I feel like I'm just running into a brick wall everywhere that I turn. Luckily, I do not have a tendency to scar like this. I only aquired these scars after a high dose of accutane that I took six years ago. Since then I've never scarred in such a way.

Everytime that I mention having my scars excised to the doctors (I've asked 4 doctors so far) they always reply with, "You'll have thin lined scars. You do not want that."

My question is -- How bad are these lined scars? I personally feel that having a small lined scars would be a lot better than what I have already.

Feedback is appreciated!!

Posted

to Vghranskaliiy: After the excision the thin line scar and its surroundings were red for about two months. It is very important to keep the scabs for as long as the fall off themselves, like that you get a smoother result. I accidentaly removed one little scab by stupidly scratching my forehead and until the laser resurfacing it was a little lower than the rest of the skin.

Posted

klaara, thanks!

detective31: Much the same with me. I never scar in hypetrophic manner, just 10 years ago when I took accutane. Before and after that never, and I've injured myself in many places. I got my first excision and I'm having intradermal stitch removed on thursday. I'm eager to see how it turns out. Yes, thin line scars are much better looking (if a scar can look good at all...) than holes or bumbs. I don't know what is this so difficult to understand for doctors. And those lines can be further improved by local laser resurfacing. This is my aproach. I will tell on friday how it turned out!

Posted

Vghranskaliiy: Thanks for the reply! Did they do your excision in a doctors office or the hospital? ---- Let me know how everything turns out. I wish you the best of luck!! smile.gif

Posted

Had it done in a hospital. Took about 15 minutes. Now I'm hoping for the best because this one was just a test to see how it heels, how satisfactory the results will be etc. If all goes well, I will have furhter (about 8 scars - atropic and hypertropic) excisions in April.

Posted

Was it hard to convince your doctor to do this procedure? Mine are not wanting to do this for me. sad.gif How many other treatments have you had before you decided to try this approach? -- Sorry, I don't mean to throw a bunch of questions at you. I'm just frustrated and looking for all of the help I can get!!!

Posted

No it was not hard. I was already determined which scars I want excised and which I want treated with corticosteroids. I don't listen to 'experts' anymore (maybe I should...) I have done extensive research and I believe this is the way to go. I had 2 Erbium YAG resurfacings and 2 IPL tretments but as you may guess it didn't remove the scars - obviously. It did help smooth them out a bit though. And the texture of the skin is a little better.