Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpskin

Benzaclin stop working?

I have been using Benzaclin for 7 days now, and I my skin had almost completely cleared up after only 3 days, but now on day 7, I have broken out terribly. Does anyone know if this is common, or have had a similar experience? I'm not sure whether to continue using it, or if this means the bacteria has already become resistant.

I'm grateful for any thoughts!

Thanks!

I've never been on Benzaclin but my opinion is that one week is way too early for your skin to develop an immunity to a topical. It could just be an initial breakout. I'd stick it out... one week is too early to bail, don't you think?

That's what I was thinking - it was just such a drastic change from nearly perfect skin right away to horrible skin that I kind of freaked out. I wonder if it is normal to have an initial breakout on benzaclin?

Actually, the good thing about the combination of Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin is, when used together, the bacteria do not become resistent. So going on that theory, I don't think your break out is due to bacterial resistence.

See below. My son was prescribed this also.

Comment in:

J Drugs Dermatol. 2002 Dec;1(3):259-60.

A new treatment for acne vulgaris combining benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin.

Tschen E, Jones T.

Academic Dermatology Associates, Albuquerque, NM, USA.

Topical acne therapies are widely used for the treatment of mild to moderately severe acne vulgaris. However, many available treatments have limitations associated with their use, including lengthy time to response, cosmetic acceptability, and photosensitivity. Combinations of topical antibiotics and comedolytics are especially useful, but some formulations have stability challenges. A new combination formulation that contains 1% clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide (BenzaClin Topical Gel) is currently available. In clinical trials, clinical improvement occurred at the first two follow-up visits and continued throughout treatment. In addition, combination therapy with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel rapidly reduces Propionibacteria acnes counts and suppresses the emergence of clindamycin-resistant P. acnes. This formulation is stable at room temperature for up to 2 months after compounding. The aqueous gel vehicle is less drying, and there is no photosensitivity associated with its use. This study compares the combination treatment of 1% clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide topical gel with other therapeutic options for mild to moderately severe acne vulgaris.

Publication Types:

Review

Review, Tutorial

PMID: 12847739 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thanks goldengirl! That's encouraging - maybe my breakout is from something else, or just complete coincidence. Has your son started using the benzaclin yet? I'd love to know how he's doing and what point he's at.....is he taking any antibiotics?

Thanks!

I been on benzaclin for 13 weeks now im not clear but im still haning in there i do belive i had a intial break out 2 weeks later i saw huge improvement on my skin and then like another couple of weeks by skin was mild breaking out slowly and it got worse. Right now my skin just have marks, benzaclin does take a long time to work take it for 2-6weeks thats when you should see improvment. You will recieve alot of dryness from this med you will need a mosterizer