Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gamer123

Vitamin A pills = inexpensive Accutane?

i've read/heard from alot of places saying that accutane (yes very expensive) have very high dose of vitamin A and high dose of vitamin A kinda do the same as accutane and so many doctors recommend taking vitamin A (naturally or pills) which also helps with acne, its ALOT cheaper comparing to accutance

i just wanna see if anyone of you heard/know about this and what ya all think of this...cause natural vitamin a and pills are very affordable for alot of us

Accutane has a vit. A derivative, it's not straight vitamin A. If you were to take the amount of Vit. A that was in accutane through natural A pills, you would be asking for trouble. At the very least if you do this, go and get regular blood work done(Weekly at the most) to ensure you aren't really fucking your body up.

i personally would not go this route, if u want the results of accutane you should just get accutane. Better to spend more money than being dead or damaging your body.

i take vit A in pill form and in some fruit juices. But i don't overdo it, in vitamin form i like i have 150% RDA a day, which isn't gonna do any harm.

No, don't do that! Vitamin A is FAT soluble, which means it gets stored in your body. Once it builds up over time (taking too much too fast), it becomes toxic and will start to hurt you from the inside out. Not good.

No, don't do that! Vitamin A is FAT soluble, which means it gets stored in your body. Once it builds up over time (taking too much too fast), it becomes toxic and will start to hurt you from the inside out. Not good.

Topical retinyl palmitate is working for me. I've had accutane 3 times and the damn oil always came back as soon as I went off of it. Accutane sux! Why? Because it's not sustainable. I've been on topical Vitamin A for a month from www.thevitamincure.com with no oil, no peeling and light purging. I don't care if I have to be on it forever, at least I don't have to go on accutane again.

Accutane has a vit. A derivative, it's not straight vitamin A. If you were to take the amount of Vit. A that was in accutane through natural A pills, you would be asking for trouble. At the very least if you do this, go and get regular blood work done(Weekly at the most) to ensure you aren't really fucking your body up.

I'd have to see those studies because that sounds wrong(Not saying you read wrong I just want to see the studies so I can look at how they were done).

I was skeptical of that claim too, so I checked it out in the Life Extension Foundation's Disease Prevention and Treatment:

They say that "Vitamin A, below 300,000 IU daily, should be taken to reduce sebum production."

I know that doesn't cite any studies but LEF is generally a very good source for info.

Guest Stu :-)

Drink Carrot juice. Beta carotene, the body will convert this into Vitamin A. This has SERIOUSLY helped me get rid of a lot of my acne. I recommend giving this a go.... Nothing to lose, i hope it works for some of you. This is my life blood for a better life without a doubt.....

^^^^^^^

I agree. Generally many health sites have good intentions but they also run a business and that comes first. Anyway, I don't believe the site if they don't give studies. I wanted to see what context the studies were done under, who did they test, how, what forms of Vitamin A, etc... Unfortunately many many people have shown signs of liver toxicity with much lower levels. I was one of them and if you search this forum, there are others as well. To whoever goes this route, remember to get yourself checked by a doc every week or so if you do plan on taking this much vitamin A.

Isotretinoin (as Ro/Accutane or any of its generic equivalents) is, as 13 cis-retinoic acid, essentially a controlled form of vitamin A poisoning, albeit as a synthetic derivative.

Taking straight vitamin A supplements significantly in excess of the RDA of 5,000-10,000 IU

let alone remotely approaching the upper toxicity level of 300,000 IU/day deposits the excess in fatty deposits in the liver, hence the risk of hepatoxicity or liver damage associated with Accutane and especially likely with high-dose, long-term courses.

If you want the benefits of vitamin A without the risks, take beta-carotene. This is a self-regulating form of vitamin A, so that your body absorbs as much as it possibly can of vitamin A from it and then once your body as much as knows it needs and can handle, it ceases absorbing the vitamin A and excretes the excess from your system. The only conceivable risk with beta-carotene is that if you REALLY, REALLY overdose on it, it can turn your skin ever so lightly orangeish-yellow, almost like a tan.

Carrots are a very rich natural source of beta-carotene, but I would actually be very wary of carrot juice as an acne sufferer. I know people are skeptical of the whole GI diet thing, but for acne sufferers insulin and blood sugar are VERY important factors because they are the main factors in any inflammatory response in the skin to diet, and acne is of course an inflammatory condition in addition to a hormonal one. Carrot juice raises your blood sugar levels very high VERY quickly, promoting inflammation in addition to flooding your blood with insulin, which your liver then has to deal with as well as all your wacky imbalanced androgens.

Take beta-carotene supplements, they'll sort you out nice and pretty.

Thanks for the info Antony. Personally, beta carotene never worked for me that well. And let me be clear-- vitamin A has made the most dramatic, rapid improvement in my skin of anything I've ever tried (liver cleansing, anti-inflammatory diet, zinc, Ayurvedic treatments, TCM treatments and probably some others). Herbs such as milk thistle offer outstanding protection to the liver. It may be wise to take them concurrently with vitamin A if anyone is considering high dose.

Liver-protective Herbs

My copy of the Canadian Compedium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialities says:

Many of the side effects and adverse reactions seen or expected in patients receiving isotretinoin are similar to those described in patients taking high doses of vitamin A.