Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Micole

Want to start Accutane

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here and I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's had any experience with accutane. I'm currently on Minocyclin and Retin A, it's been 3 months and I'm seeing no improvement yet. I've been dealing with acne since 18, and I'm 24 now....I feel like I've tried everything out there and wasted soo much money...I am so sick of this. I don't even want to look people in the eyes if I don't have foundation on, and I refuse to leave the house without my makeup on. Which leads me to my first question. I want to ask my doctor about accutane, but I'm terrified of the initial breakout. Can you wear makeup while on accutane?... b/c I don't know if I could face going to school without it. Also, how much worse would you say your skin got at first, and how long does it take generally to get past that point? I'm just really scared to start it, but I'm so upset all the time now and desperate not to have to be so obsessive about my skin anymore. If anyone could offer any advice or words of encouragement, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks...

Micole

Accutane should clear u up good, and the initial breakout varies. Some get it, some don't. Some have it mild, some have it bad.

Oh its okay, go knock yourself against a wall and come back smile.gif

Don't think too much about it, just take it. Start on a low dose first though. I just came back from a derm visit and I got my first box of roaccutane. I almost tuned myself out while the derm's talking to me (i was really sleepy but what the heck). He's a really nice guy though, considering he's the first derm I've seen in my life for my acne.

Guest Craigems

i fixed the multi posts dont worry.

Guest Craigems

yes, go to your profile and fix it

Thanks for the response and thanks for fixing that for me smile.gif I'm going to see the derm on Monday, so I'm hoping to start then. I think it's a good idea to just do it and not think about it so much anymore...I guess I've agonized enough over it, lol. I guess the sooner I start, the sooner it will all be over with smile.gif

Micole: Hi and welcome to the forum! You’re in good company - - acne-prone company, but good nevertheless.

(Speaking of which, I constantly find myself staring at my fiancé’s skin looking for scarring from acne because I am terrified of passing this gene onto my children.)

To hopefully ease your mind, some people never get an initial breakout and for those of us who do, it represents the beginning of clarity - -nothing better than that! The initial breakout usually takes place within the first two months of Accutane. For a lot of us, it builds up to a climax for a couple of weeks and then slowly winds down after it reaches its height. Most people begin seeing a major difference around the third and fourth months. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you will be pimple-free but it will never be as bad as the initial breakout.

I had difficulty wearing make-up during a portion of my treatment. My skin was incredibly dry and oily at the same time. Wearing make-up drew attention to this fact and made my skin look worse. I learned to deal with it. I learned to leave the use make-up-less and say “I know my skin looks horrible but I am still going to live my life.� After the initial breakout, my skin improved to a make-up willing environment again. I had great luck with Revlon’s Clear Complexion and recently switched to M.A.C., which is working even better although the cost is high.

Do you have cystic acne?

Hi and thanks for the welcome! Well, I've never had cystic acne until about 6 months ago. I always had breakouts, but they weren't deep like they are now....then I tried using Proactiv and I swear, all of a sudden my skin is worse! Could be a coincidence..but I'd rather blame the Proactive. Stupid stuff, lol. Anyways, now I can't seem to get over this and instead of getting better it's only getting progressively worse! I'm praying I'm one of the lucky few who never gets an initial breakout, but it looks as if I may just have to put aside my vanity for a couple months and just keep telling myself it's all going to be worth it in the end. Thanks for the makeup tips, I've been hearing alot about M.A.C. so I may end up trying that down the road. I'm so glad I've found this board though, theres alot of good info on here eusa_angel.gif

Are you currently on a birth control pill? Prior to going on Accutane, the dermatologist will want you to be on the pill for at least a month and the pill can be a solution in itself.

Seriously, putting your vanity away for two months IS worth it. Your situation sounds similar to mine and I think that was why I got so much grief for deciding to go with Accutane. Everyone around me kept saying that it is reserved for people who’ve had acne their entire lives not for someone who only suffered for a short period of time.

..then I tried using Proactiv and I swear, all of a sudden my skin is worse! Could be a coincidence..but I'd rather blame the Proactive. Stupid stuff, lol.

Ummmmmm YEAH!!! I tried it for THREE WEEKS and my skin became SOOO TERRIBLE!!!! I got pimples in places I NEVER HAD BEFORE and they're still there!!! BOOOO Like my forehead!!!!!