Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stumped

**My amnesteem log**

Today is my first day on Accutane. I've only taken minocyline for three weeks and doxycycline for a month, but due to new cysts still emerging...I'm finally taking this risk. I get about two new cysts a week joining in my team of the prior ones. I'm 20 years old and has never had an acne problem, and barely any whiteheads. I woke up suddenly one day with this damn acne, not understand why my "pimples" were not coming to a head. Also, I've gone to the gyno to make sure there are no cysts on my ovaries.

The acne has taken such a huge affect on me emotionally more than it has to me physically. I find myself unable to concentrate at work, at my night classes, and I have avoided seeing any of my friends for the last eight months. I want my life back. Everyone in my life tells me NOT to go on accutane, for they are worried about my health, yet all the doctors say I should go on it. What do you guys/gals think?

Since I have had side effects due to minocycline, I am worried about what accutane may do to me. I bought aquaphor, vasoline, and cetaphil in case the dryness gets overbearing. (Thank you to everyone on the board for recommending these products) My derma, understanding my worries of the intial breakout and effects has put me on only 20mgs a day for the month. If all goes well, the prescription will be upped to 40mgs.

Btw, I was told by three different dermatologists that accutane is supposed to have a permanent effect is it works for the individual. My gyno says it's not. Would anyone have more information on that? I really do not want this to happen again when I'm 30+.

Let me first attack this rising of cysts, worry about the current and future scars later. I'll be updating every few days when I get the chance. Thanks smile.gif

I'm slowly working hard on getting my life back, despite the no-improvement in my skin. We all just need to accept it, yet work on it. I remember having friends who were in a worst situation than me (acne-related) and it has never bothered me. I'm hoping that's how people feel about me as well.

Best of luck with the Accutane! I've been on it for just about 2 weeks now, and let me tell you, once your lips get real chapped, you will LOVE Aquaphor. It's the only thing that helps my lips now.

Things will get worse before they get better...but it will be worth it by far after you're all done!

Day 2

First off, it's just great to know I'm not alone on this. I love how everyone is very supportive of each other. smile.gif

It's pretty amazing as to how I can already see minute changes in my face. Small colorless bumps have appeared on my cheeks and my whiteheads has enlarged slightly. Despite not really having any dry skin or chapped lips yet, I am still putting on the cetaphil and aquaphor nevertheless. I did wake up this morning with some pains in my right knee for about ten minutes. I'm thinking it's either, I slept in a funky position, my knees have always been pretty weak, or it's due to me never having exercised a day in my life.

Would anyone by any chance know the maximum mgs I can take for my height and weight? I'm 100 lbs and 5'2.

I don't know about the maximum dose, but im 180 lbs, and on 80mg/day. I would like to have my dosage upped though, but apparently my derm doesnt think I need it. razz.gif

Hope that can help you in some way

I would bet that your knee pain is Accutane related.. I started getting back pains, and joint pains almost right after I started. Anything out of the ordinary is most likely causes by Accutane. People just can't believe it starts affecting them so fast, so they dismiss it as something else.

Anyways, good luck on your treatment, in no time your gonna be finished. Just watch! cool.gif

Day 3

Nothing much has changed except I've been feeling more tired and my body feels a bit stiff. I had one of my joints act up a little again, but it did not last too long. This morning though, I couldn't help myself but to pop that one zit that has been staring at me in the mirror for the last three days. I wonder, when does the initial breakouts usually occur?

One wish one day equals to one month. Then I'd only have to take this for 6 days.

Keeger I think you're close to 1mg/kg already?

Anyway I think the initial breakouts come in anytime from 2 weeks to 1 month.

Day 3 - Update

My left eye has been really dry, it's quite painful. Especially since my work consists of me staring at the computer for long periods at a time. This has never happened before. Time to get some eye drops. Would anyone have any recommendations?

I feel two small cysts coming onboard, the cetaphil will have to take some getting used to since I'm not too dry yet and it's made my face look shiny.

Saint Patrick's Day - Sigh, no drinks for me.

Anyone else here from NYC?

Day 3 - Update*

My left eye has been really dry, it's quite painful.  Especially since my work consists of me staring at the computer for long periods at a time.  This has never happened before.  Time to get some eye drops.  Would anyone have any recommendations?

I feel two small cysts coming onboard, the cetaphil will have to take some getting used to since I'm not too dry yet and it's made my face look shiny.

Saint Patrick's Day - Sigh, no drinks for me. 

Anyone else here from NYC?

i have had acne for years. it would get better and worse, but enough is enough. i'd been on antibiotics for around 8 months, and just started accutane a little over a week ago. i am 5'10 and 130lbs. i am on 40mg a day. here's what i've been experiencing: drrry lips, bloody (sorry, gross) mucus in nose, and drying of the skin on my face. i have not experienced the initial breakout yet, but i'm prepared for the worst. my skin is actually looking really good at the moment (knock on wood!). this might be due to the fact that i have switched to cleansing my face only once a day since i started experiencing drier skin. i've been getting compliments from classmates telling me my skin is looking better. hopefully they are not just saying that to make me feel better eusa_eh.gif hope this helps!

I'm from NY! I was on 42nd street today rehearsing for a show I'm doing.

I didn't drink either. I'm avoiding Alk on accutane.

Today's my second day on Tane, btw smile.gif

i have had acne for years. it would get better and worse, but enough is enough. i'd been on antibiotics for around 8 months, and just started accutane a little over a week ago. i am 5'10 and 130lbs. i am on 40mg a day. here's what i've been experiencing: drrry lips, bloody (sorry, gross) mucus in nose, and drying of the skin on my face. i have not experienced the initial breakout yet, but i'm prepared for the worst. my skin is actually looking really good at the moment (knock on wood!). this might be due to the fact that i have switched to cleansing my face only once a day since i started experiencing drier skin. i've been getting compliments from classmates telling me my skin is looking better. hopefully they are not just saying that to make me feel better  eusa_eh.gif  hope this helps!

Day 4

My old scars has gotten redder and the cortisone shot I had two weeks ago has left an indent. The little bumps have increased on my skin and pretty visible although I'm not too worried about them (as long as they don't enlarge). My body also feels like I finished a full-body workout because my muscles are sore and I've been feeling more tired than usual. Haven't experienced much drying except for the eyes, but then perhaps it's because I'm taking precautions. I consistently apply aquaphor to my lips and cetaphil (day and night) to my skin. Either that, or it's because it's only been day 4.

I'm really anticipating the month to be over with.

Day 7 - One Week

Missed a dose today due to waking up late and rushing to work. My skin is definitely getting increasingly dry (alot more dry patches, bumps, etc). Not sure why, but some parts of my face actually hurts. My skin color looks very blotchy, does anyone else have that problem? Haven't experienced any more joint pains than usual, only some aching muscles.

So far, it's nothing I can't handle...but as for upcoming midterms and work deadlines, that's another thing.

Btw: I still love toning my face with acv. I wake up in the morning to less redness, especially now that accutane is accentuating the scars and current acne. I have ceased with my egg-white mask, since it may contains alot Vitamin A. Although, I'm hoping to start up again perhaps three months into.

Kind of stinks how I won't be able to join in with the usual thursday happy hours.

Day 8

I realized something today. It seems that my skin all over is much more sensitive. I've never had much cuts or wounds but in the last few days, I somehow ended up with a cut on my hand and leg. Normally, it takes literally a night for a fresh wound to scab, but it's been three days and it hasn't yet. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Amnesteem, but might as well keep it as a record.

I hope my skin will be decently clear by the time classes are over. I really don't want to waste a second summer not leaving the house.

I think I'm about to fall in love with Aquaphor.

Day 9

Hmm, another cut on my hand. Two new painful cysts on the left side of my face. Lips have been getting dry. Forehead was clear before Accutane, now two big pimples and four very noticable whiteheads. Right side has two smaller cysts. It's getting harder to apply makeup. Cetaphil does a great job for the dry patches but it's a bit greasy. Going to buy the Neutrogena lotion I've been seeing on some of the other posts.

Midterm tonight, then three-day weekend follows soon enough. I hope I get to catch some more zzz's. It's been three hours sleeping time a night. I'm dreading the two weeks/one month time...

Question...please advice. I'm getting worried.

I have two areas of my gums swollen and painful. I just had a checkup at the dentist a few days before the start of my accutane. Is this part of the side effects? Also, my rib cage area has been extremely painful if when I lay down or sit down. I'm hoping this all goes away in a few weeks. But did anyone else ever have this problem?

what side effects did you have from mino? I got a HUGE rash all over my arms, back, chest, and neck. Not too much on my face. But now all my body parts are crystal clear (which never happened before) except for my face! WTF???

My face has these weird bumps everywhere! Even in places where I never had acne before! My skin feels like some kind of sand paper.... just not as rough. I don't know how to describe it.

what side effects did you have from mino? I got a HUGE rash all over my arms, back, chest, and neck. Not too much on my face. But now all my body parts are crystal clear (which never happened before) except for my face! WTF???

My face has these weird bumps everywhere! Even in places where I never had acne before! My skin feels like some kind of sand paper.... just not as rough. I don't know how to describe it.

you're having quite a few side effects already. i advise you to drink lots of water. it definitely helps with the body aches and dryness. hope this helps!

I've been on it for 8 weeks now. Wait your bumps peeled away from doxy? another antibiotic?

Day 10

Due to the side-effects from mino, I was worried about how sensitive I would be to Accutane. I woke up this morning with another area of my gum swollen. The first one I had is no longer painful but still slightly swollen. It was difficult brushing my teeth.

Now that I have already made the decision to go on Accutane, I really hope that these side effects do diminish with the next couple of weeks. I want to see this through for the next six months.

Not much change today except a new zit, enlarged whiteheads, and of course the swollen gum. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem on the forum before, so I googled it. Here's what I got:

What are the other possible side effects of Accutane?

It is important to watch for the special symptoms

listed above as these may be signs of serious side

effects.

The side effects listed below are generally temporary

and disappear when Accutane treatment is stopped;

however, you must tell your doctor if any of your side

effects do not clear up in a few weeks after you stop

taking Accutane. You must also check with your doctor

if these effects become bothersome to see if any

change in your medication is needed.

• Some of the most common side effects are: dryness of

the skin, lips, mouth, and lining of the nose. Some

other side effects that may occur include: facial or

body rash, flaking of the skin, itching, peeling of

the palms and soles, increased sensitivity to the sun,

inflammation of the lips, mild nose bleed, bleeding

and inflammation of the gums, easily injured skin and

increased fatigue. You may experience some redness,

dryness, or irritation of the eyes.

• If you wear contact lenses, you may find them

uncomfortable during treatment because Accutane may

cause dry eyes. This may continue after treatment has

stopped.

• In some patients variable amounts of hair loss have

occurred. In rare cases, this hair loss persisted

after treatment was completed.

These are not all of Accutane's possible side effects.

Your doctor or pharmacist can give you more detailed

information that is written for health care

professionals.

Ok, at least the "gums" part is within the possible symptoms. I'm slightly relieved.

And yes, I will definitely take up on your advice to drink more water. I've never been much of a water-drinker but I shall give it a shot.

Day 14

Ok, during the weekend, I had in total of 6 different areas of my gums swollen. Thank goodness, two went down to normal. The rest are no longer as sensitive but still swollen. My gums have been bleeding after every brush.

Also, it's kind of funny. Prior to Accutane, I never touched my face nor did I try popping anything on my own. But does anyone ever notice that the cysts/pimples begin to dry and harden on Accutane? The one I had on my forehead was absolutely annoying me. It came to a head but just didn't feel like coming out. I waited 'till Sunday afternoon before finally popping it. So, far it hasn't erupted new ones around the area and it's going down normally.

Another change I notice is that usually all my pimples turn to huge cysts. Now, most of them are finally beginning to look more like zits instead. My lips have definitely been getting more and more dry. The Aquaphor is doing an ok job but not the best. There's more peeling around my nose and chin, but Cetaphil is doing a fantastic job so far. It's no longer as greasy as before. I only put it on the areas necessary.

2 weeks down...another 5 months and 2 weeks to go...

Day 16

I feel that the forehead, the nose, and the chin may be the worse areas to have acne. With that...a new, painful, and still growing zit is on my forehead right above the one I had just last week. Another large cyst is on my cheek and two smaller ones on the other side. All three have already decided to pigment my skin, as usual.

I don't recognize my nose anymore. It sounds weird but the skin looks lighter than the rest of my face. Also, the pores with the tiniest blackheads look wide open. The rest of my skin is full of red bumps (not necessarily pimples) and my scars are still looking pretty bad. Not sure about the inital breakout since my monthly is coming around soon, but I know my forehead is definitely being attacked right now by many large whiteheads, two zits, and two pimples.

Three of my gums are still swollen and the fourth one is extremely sensitive. Though most of them are no longer as painful as when they came about. I think it's healing, though VERY slowly.

Overall, at least I know Amnesteem is doing something. And hopefully, it's breaking relations with my acne and I.

Out of curiousity, does anyone read this or is my journal pretty much pointless? I'll try just writing in it once a week. But I must thank alot of people who kept up with their journals from day 1 to after they were off Accutane. It was them who gave me more courage into taking this step.

Day 22

I must say I've seen a big improvement in the last week. My cysts have gone down tremendously and now when I wash my face, my skin feels smoother than it has been in a really long time. The red/brown scars are still visible but easier to cover up. My skin has been dryer by the day, especially around the chin.

Yesterday, a couple of pimples appeared around my chin and lip area and I'm awaiting for them to go down. One more area of my gum swelled but is also going down.

I'll be taking my second blood test this weekend and my dosage will be upped to 40mg. I'm fearing a breakout attack when I do and more peeling skin. :T

Nevertheless, Amnesteen is doing its job better than anything I've taken.