Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
righton

Taking Retin-A Micro, but want to tan!

I was a fairly avid tanner (going at least once a every 5-7 days) for most of last year. However, I was prescribed Retin-A Micro (night) and Clindamycin (day) for minor acne at the start of this year. It states that one should avoid sun expose at all costs. However, it also states that the: "The microspheres do not penetrate the skin barrier. The microspheres remain on top of the skin and are easily washed off when you shower or wash your face."

Is there any way that I can tan or get darker while on this stuff? I'm really starting to pale up and would like to get tan again. Maybe a self-tanner? Or, could I perhaps wash my face in the morning, go tan, and then come back and apply the medication?

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

I was a fairly avid tanner (going at least once a every 5-7 days) for most of last year. However, I was prescribed Retin-A Micro (night) and Clindamycin (day) for minor acne at the start of this year. It states that one should avoid sun expose at all costs. However, it also states that the: "The microspheres do not penetrate the skin barrier. The microspheres remain on top of the skin and are easily washed off when you shower or wash your face."

Is there any way that I can tan or get darker while on this stuff? I'm really starting to pale up and would like to get tan again. Maybe a self-tanner? Or, could I perhaps wash my face in the morning, go tan, and then come back and apply the medication?

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!

Probably a bad idea. Retin-A causes the skin to shed the top layer of skin- this sensitises the skin to sunlight, so those areas where you have applied it may tan/burn more quickly. So you'd end up with uneven skin tone. And sunlight damage can persist for *long* periods; to some extent it's permanent.

It's unclear how long you'd have to knock the Retin-A on the head for before you could risk tanning. I'd think several days; but that might be low- it could well be weeks.

How about Mystic Tan? Anyone know if this will work with a Retin-A/Clindamycin prescription? And, if not Mystic Tan, how about a self-tanner?

I take retin-a micro at night... and I go to tanning salons sometimes during the days...

I knowwwww tanning salons are bad, but I think they kind of help my skin!!!

Plus, I travel a lot and I am on LOTS of skin meds - I usually just don't put them on the day that I tan. Then, I apply them at night when I'm out of the sun.