Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flux

Blackheads: No Solution

I have been at war with the blackheads on my nose for 15 years now.

I am a 29 year old male. The problem is, there just seems to be no winning this war.

I have blackheads all over my nose. I have tried everything to take care of them but there truely is no solution. Nothing is going to give me the complexion I want. I accept this. Still, I am deteremened to do what I can to look as good as I can.

Most things I try end up irritating my nose (scrubs, squeezing, or retin-a 0.1%), giving it a red appearance worse then the blackheads themselves.

I have recently dropped retin-a after about nine months of use, and find myself back at ground-zero. eusa_think.gif

The products I am currently using

Clean&Clear Foaming Cleanser

Clean&Clear Blackhead Astringent (I did not use/need this during retin-a treatment)

Dove Day Lotion (love this stuff).

Here are my treatment considerations:

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque - Seems to be reccomended quite often here

Retin-a 0.025% - I loath going through another adjustment period, but this may be my best bet

Makeup - Yes, I'm a man. But damnit, I want to look good. This probably wont do well to hide blackheads, but it may help lessen the redness left by retin-a.

I'm also a little curious about:

Accutane - Sounds like its too extreme for my case, but I am curious.

Dermabrasion/Microdermabrasion - Could this work?

I'll post my updates every so often.

If anyone has suggestions, please share!

why dont you try a chemical peel... i done my first peel last week and i am pleased with the results...seemed to get rid of the few blackheads i had too... im pretty sure it will help you at least even if it doesnt get rid of them smile.gif

Thanks for your replys.

18yo, sqeezing generally leaves me with red marks. I can get away with a little of this, but not much. 'The best thing for you', I wonder, have you ever tried retin-a? That stuff does help. BTW, I just read this:

Although I never recommend steaming the face (heat can overstimulate oil production, cause spider veins to surface, and create irritation), a tepid to slightly warm compress over the face can help soften the blackhead or blemish, making removal easier.

mate have you had a go on Minocycline (sp)? I did and it cleared my nose of plugs and blackheads very nicely, for about three months.

if you find a cure LET ME KNOW

...You're a man, and you're 29, yet you're concerned with some dots on your nose which no one can even see unless they are directly in front of you?

Seriously just accept them, be a man and move on....most males have that, I see it everyday.

If your nose is also very oily..I would suggest a natural clay mask like "Mudd Masque".. after applied, as its drying on your skin you can actually feel it "sucking" your pores out.....its about $5....works great on my nose... I love it !

BTW ..a doctor would never prescribe accutane for blackheads only...besides, once you are through with the accutane...your oily skin will come back and so will your blackheads..not to mention the side effects.. hairloss, dry eyes, liver problems and so much more...it is just not worth it...for your situation.

IMO..perhaps your make up is clogging your pores, causing your blackheads???

Have you ever tried Mineral make-up...???

Just a thought....

18yo - Good luck there. Retin-a did significantly decrease pore production for me, but the tradeoff was a red nose.. the blackheads were still present,. just minimized.

Nevermind - Minocycline? Funny, I've never even heard of this stuff. I'll look into it,. but what happened after three months??

Unnamed Soldier - I have enlarged pores. They are very visable. And I am more man then you, I have no doubt. You really shouldn't be such an asshole to people you know nothing about.

Nodoubt - Maybe you should read my post wink.gif I dont use makeup, and I am using a masque. As for Accutane, I knew there was a reason I had decided not to try it last year. Hairloss is not a good tradeoff..

And now a regimen update - I loved the Mint Julip masque so much (I could see dots of oil surrounding my pores after it dried last night), that I just put it on again. Will it dry out my skin too much? We'll see.

Nodoubt - Maybe you should read my post wink.gif I dont use makeup, and I am using a masque. As for Accutane, I knew there was a reason I had decided not to try it last year. Hairloss is not a good tradeoff..

...You're a man, and you're 29, yet you're concerned with some dots on your nose which no one can even see unless they are directly in front of you?

Seriously just accept them, be a man and move on....most males have that, I see it everyday.

Hi Flux,

Me and you are in the same boat bud, please read my regime description in the regime forum and feel free to instant message me to discuss tactics and options smile.gif

Gloriousbach

okay i was reading your post and i cant believe no one came up with the right answer..... :-S

I have your answer.. you must buy Pore Strips

~~~~~~~~DIRECTIONS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Apply pore strip to nose (see insturctions on package)

2. Peel off (SLOWLEY)

3. Wash nose to get that glue shit off...

4. apply small amount of bp that will allow your nose pores to disinfect and breathe. (VERY THIN AMOUNT ON NOSE) not thick!

5. Only do this 2 every week but spaced out! e.g Monday and Thrusdays! (using pore strips too oftern in a short space off time can strip skin off and leave you raw, so you must leave your skin to recover after one)

6.Don't moisture the nose with oily cream. This adds to you dead skin and oil production which equals BLACKHEADS!!

7. use a oil free moisturiser if necessary

NOW TELL ME THAT WASNT GOOD ADVICE smile.gif

okay so now you know how to get your nose looking fresh without blackheads!

NOW if you want to know anymore good stuff just PM me or ask me something in my OWN regime topic. Alot of stuff you've been looking for in here....

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=52726

Flux, you are in the same boat as many people.

I probably feel that same as you do, especially that pore strips are not worth it.

Although I have not yet been on any perscripstions for acne (blackheads).

I'm currently attempting masks, buying them, making them, reading up on them. If you can afford it, try some peel off masks (yes you can buy those).

Also I recommend you try a sort of automatic blackhead extracting tool. One that is electric and gets the job done.

Try this one: http://www.blackhead-gun.com/

See if you can get it somewhere else for cheaper.

Good luck.