Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
havingfaith

Satisfied with Dr. Y?

It seems like in the past week Dr. Y has been getting a lot of bad press because of Loves experience. I believe there has been over 80 pages devoted to just Dr. Y and peoples experience with dermabrasion. It seems that people that you were heavy prior posters that had the procedure (dermabrasion) done have not posted as of lately. Like they have disappeared. Is that because they have received good improvement and they don't feel they need this board anymore or have they had a bad experience. I agree with Healtysceptic post that most Doctors operate in a mechanical mode, so when I doctor shows caring & compassion we may overlook whether or not a procedure is beneficial. I have met the Doctor and he is a genuine person, but I'm calling for people who have gone through the procedure and if they will be honest and objective & comment whether they have had a good experience or in the case of Love a bad experience.

Guest niko

This whole he's a nice and caring doctor fetish also baffles me. Who cares if he is nice or funny, or when you see him 'you want to give him a hug'. I'm after results not a new friend. I always thought it was funny how if a doctor is nice that bumps him up the rank of good doctors, seems a bit silly.

This whole he's a nice and caring doctor fetish also baffles me.  Who cares if he is nice or funny, or when you see him 'you want to give him a hug'.  I'm after results not a new friend.  I always thought it was funny how if a doctor is nice that bumps him up the rank of good doctors, seems a bit silly.

Well, he does have a lot of experience.  Anything for a medical audience on Dermabrasion  that you read has some mention of him.  But I agree, he is not the end all of dermabrasion.  I don't think that wirebrush is either.  Especially because even for us with minor scars, we're not going to get perfection from either.  Maybe for the severe cases, where one has to go deeper, wire brush would be better.

For most doctors improving our scars is more a vanity issue and the outcome is not guranteed that is probably why most doctors don't specialize in acne scar treatments. Dr. Y has definitely devoted his career to patients with problem skin and having a doctor that is compassionate and understands what what we all go through is much more than vanity, it has affected our lives at a deeper level. That is why probably many people have sought out this Doctor. Also it helps with the introduction letter to honestly tell the Doctor who your scars actually make you feel, not like a first consultation when you feel the doctor is just judging you. I have had prior dermabrasions with the diamond fraze and have not had any complications, but this year I became aware of the wire brush that is suppose to be most effective. I can say I probably had about 10% improvement from my previous dermabrasions but I never did anything to raise my scars. Some of the new treatments weren't available. But for the people who have had this done and aren't satisfied was it because the expectations were to high that a single dermabrasion would eradicate all scars or was there "prep" work prior to build up the scars and the final touch was it blend the skin all in.

It seems that people that you were heavy prior posters that had the procedure (dermabrasion) done have not posted as of lately.  Like they have disappeared.  Is that because they have received good improvement and they don't feel they need this board anymore or have they had a bad experience.  I

Well, I for one (and I have said this over and over again), am very satisfied with my dermabrasion--so much so that I am planning a second one in June, about a year after my first. I am a great admirer of Dr. Y not just because of the amazing person he is, but also because of the results I have seen on my skin. I will say that his genuine decency is not just extra, but in my opinion is part of what makes him such an effective Dr. I believe that he genuinely listens to his patients and sympathizes with their situations and this is part of what allows him to get such good results.

Having said all of this, I do think that some people are jumping into this, unthinkingly, are not fully understanding what an undertaking this is, and I think some people are forming unrealistic expectations of this (I'm not talking about anyone in particular here). I think that this is a recipe for disappointment. I do believe that dermabrasion works best on and should be reserved for moderate to severe scarring--I know not everyone agrees with this, but this is my opinion.

I have not been posting as much for several reasons:

1. my skin is a lot better and I do not obsess about it as much, so I do not visit this board as much.

2. I have become increasingly concerned about this firestorm surrounding this issue--both in terms of people who are planning to have this done, their expectations, and peole who are trying to assess their improvement too early. Honestly, I wish this subject would die down a bit and that dermabrasion would become a very plausible option for people with at least moderate scarring and that Dr. Y can be a resource for those people who opt to see him, and not THE undisputed choice for everyone with any scarring at all and from which people expect miracles. My slow down in posts is my part in making that happen.

3. I have recently become a bit disenchanted with this board frankly. Many of the people who used to post some of the most useful and informative info have disappeared (I hope for them that that means that they have found something that worsk for them). And while there are some great new voices on this board, there are also a lot of people who, it seems, are more interested in bickering or insulting each other that in exchanging meaningful information about scar remediation. I often find myself more discouraged and annoyed than encouraged and hopeful when navigating this board. Sorry to have to say this, and I definitely don't mean that this is true about everyone, but it's enough of a critical mass that I think it's affecting the way I think about this board.

I am very pleased with the results of my dermabrasion and I think very highly of Dr. Y and Cassandra. I don't worship either of them nor do I think everyone out there is suitable for dermabrasion. I have tried over the past year to report what I have learned and what I have experienced (sometimes I regret that I shared so much). I am sorry for those who have not been satisfied with their results, especially Kiki (I'm not sure anyone else has given it enough time to make an accurate assessment)--I know that must be very discouraging, though for what it's worth, I always thought your scars looked very mild and that you were very pretty despite them.

I wish everyone who had this done a speedy and healthy recovery and to everyone who is considering it, please make sure that your situation warrants it and that you are entering it with reasonable expectations.

sincerely,

--leo

Nicely said, leopolda. It's true, posting on the scar forums at acne.org is not a nice feeling. When one may move on, it's best to move on.

I guess for me I started this post because I did schedule my dermabrasion with Dr. Y and was having second thoughts because of all this controversy. I choose the Doctor because of my consultation with him, his skill level, and for his experience. It probably would be safe to say that he has performed more dermabrasions in his 40 year career than any other living Dr. in the world.

I'm glad Leopolda that you were contend with your experience, I believe that you were the one that started the original post & I want to thank you for sharing your experience and for your insightful & intelligent posts. Meet Pete its also good to see that your back, I know the board at times has been sort of harsh on you but I think that your experience, knowledge, and objectivity is definitely what the board needs.

I'm sorry for such a long post. But I feel that this current protocol that I have followed has helped my scars more so than any of the treatments I have had done in the past 13 years. I have gained a better understanding of scar revision from doing the research on this board and from peoples experiences, and have also met some really caring doctors. I have never posted my experience because I wanted to complete the protocol and ascertain the results as I completely healed. Maybe people should reserve their level of improvement until the final stage of healing because maybe we become misled or develop to high of expectations.

Well i just wne to see him and i live in Puerto Rico, i think most people on the internet in general are sarcastic unrealistic people who spend most of their time here.

If you are interested in Dr.Y and treatment go and see him, stop asking other people, i'd rather trust a doctor who comes in and let's me talk, explains to me the reality of results and complications than listen to some sour miserable people who beause of their facial defects can't seem to live their lives as they can, heck not everyone has to like you, take a fuc*ing trip to another country, just break out of your routine and you will see scars is not the end of the world. I want to try and improve them that's why i am taking this journey, there is a world of acne sca sufferers outside this board, i mean the percentage is not even worth mentioning compared to people who have never heard of the board, you think DR.Y only performs dermabrasion on people from the board? you think he was not praised upon before we all knew about him?

Jeez sometimes people are just plain ignorant.

My advice is to go in for a consultation, as you would any doctor.

Well i just wne to see him and i live in Puerto Rico, i think most people on the internet in general are sarcastic unrealistic people who spend most of their time here.

If you are interested in Dr.Y and treatment go and see him, stop asking other people, i'd rather trust a doctor who comes in and let's me talk, explains to me the reality of results and complications than listen to some sour miserable people who beause of their facial defects can't seem to live their lives as they can, heck not everyone has to like you, take a fuc*ing trip to another country, just break out of your routine and you will see scars is not the end of the world. I want to try and improve them that's why i am taking this journey, there is a world of acne sca sufferers outside this board, i mean the percentage is not even worth mentioning compared to people who have never heard of the board, you think DR.Y only performs dermabrasion on people from the board? you think he was not praised upon before we all knew about him?

Jeez sometimes people are just plain ignorant.

My advice is to go in for a consultation, as you would any doctor.

I am still going to go through with my dermabrasion, even if my scars are mild.  I already tried the lasers, peels, and the other "miracle creams".  I feel really good about this.  When you just know, you know.

Amensiac well said -- a good post for us patients from Overseas.

Everyone here knows what I think of Doctor Y so I don't need to post again. I travelled twice from Australia so that speaks for itself. I think he is a wonderful person but it his skill that I respect the most. I have had ten previous sugeries and nothing got me personally anywhere near the results of the wire brush. This is my own personal experience only. I am not encouraging or discouraging anyone to do this just offering my own personal experience. My scars were severe.

And the results are not physiological -- I have had many comments from my dermatologist here, my family and also from pictures I have taken and documentated. They are personal to me and I don't need to post them to get anyone else approval but people I have showed in Doctor Y's office have seen this.

One thing I should add is that Doctor Y told me I was a perfect candidate because the main thing I was looking to do was improve my scars only not my whole enitre life.

And the results are not physiological -- I have had many comments from my dermatologist here,  my family and also from pictures I have taken and documentated. They are personal to me and I don't need to post them to get anyone else approval but people I have showed in Doctor Y's office have seen this.

As for myself and pictures, I found it best this time around to just put them away and make no comparisons until a period of six months has passed

I think the people here that are questioning others decisions about going through with the dermabrasion aren't really trying to tell you what to do or what not to do, but are trying to express what a big decision this is and are trying to make you realize that this is not a decision that you should make without knowing all you possibly can about it, the possible good and the possible bad. Especially when some are saying how devestated they would be if it did not turn out how they desired

ann a bell - Thank you so much for your words. I leave on Monday March 14th and I have to say I have been really stressed. I did speak to Cassandra on Thursday and she said my fears are normal.

Dr. Y 's office called me yesterday just to check on me which made me feel better. I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I guess this is to be expected. This is not a procedure to take lightly. Thank you again.

K9lover

Good Luck to you Miss Shady. I am sure we will both be fine. It is just right now I am driving everybody around me crazy. I just wish I could fast forward a week, so I could have this behind me. Travel safe and you are in my thoughts.

k9lover

k9lover,

I'm guessing you are female, but if I was wrong then I suggest you find the right make up (to cover redness) before the dermabrasion.

You shall need regular Shaving Foam for cleaning, Vaseline, and pain killers in case it hurts when cleaning, but don't take it before the procedure because it will thin your blood.

Good luck ... my thoughts are with you.

Regards,

Sword

ann a bell  -  Thank you so much for your words.  I leave on Monday March 14th and I have to say I have been really stressed.  I did speak to Cassandra on Thursday and she said my fears are normal.

Dr. Y 's office called me yesterday just to check on me which made me feel better.  I am excited and scared to death at the same time.  I guess this is to be expected.  This is not a procedure to take lightly.  Thank you again.

K9lover

Sword, you are correct I am female. I have bought some of the MAC green concealer which I have heard is good.

So even though I am a female I need the shaving cream? I am popping ativan like it is candy to try to calm my nerves and trying to enjoy my glass of wine.

Sword after the procedure did you just stay in the room or did you venture out? Just curious.

I know I do not post much, but you have really helped me with my decision.

k9lover