Notifications
Clear all

Topical Vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/08/2005 7:55 pm

After going on accutane twice, I read on this board that some ppl were taking high doses of Vitamin A instead, so I've spent the last year popping 10 Vitamin A pills a day (~80,000IU). Though the oil comin out of my nose never went away, my breakouts did seem to subsided a little, so I'd decided to double the dose and then found a site [Removed] that sells a really high dose of Vitamin A for acne in liquid form. But it warns pretty strong against takin it intenally, so when I got it a couple days ago, decided at first to try only puttin it on my face. MY GOD! My nose is completely dry all day without wiping it once! I don't know if it'll work for my acne, but I still can't believe the oil is gone like this. I just hope it continues.

MemberMember
(@twocanyan)

Posted : 03/08/2005 8:39 pm

wally36 said:
After going on accutane twice, I read on this board that some ppl were taking high doses of Vitamin A instead, so I've spent the last year popping 10 Vitamin A pills a day (~80,000IU). Though the oil comin out of my nose never went away, my breakouts did seem to subsided a little, so I'd decided to double the dose and then found a site [Removed] that sells a really high dose of Vitamin A for acne in liquid form. But it warns pretty strong against takin it intenally, so when I got it a couple days ago, decided at first to try only puttin it on my face. MY GOD! My nose is completely dry all day without wiping it once! I don't know if it'll work for my acne, but I still can't believe the oil is gone like this. I just hope it continues.

MemberMember
(@prodigul)

Posted : 03/09/2005 12:19 am

Yeah, accutane is a synthetic of a specific type... not same as in vitamin capsules. Id stop what you're doing as it will be quite harmful to your liver. Go on tane if you want, if not, dont try to improvise it

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/09/2005 8:24 pm

Yeah, that's what that website says, but it also says accutane's real similar to Vit A and so almost just as bad taken internally. I'm still gonna put a single drop on my yogurt -- 25,000IU -- every mornin though. Tastes nasty!!! But the topical thing works great so far; I ain't had an oily nose for three day now. That alone is worth it if keeps up. I let you guys know how I'm doing in a week. Seems like you gotta pay the piper sometime for all the closed pores, but hopefully it won't get as bad as accutane.

MemberMember
(@proactivsucks)

Posted : 03/09/2005 8:45 pm

I think you should stop taking it internally, but I suppose there is no harm when you use it topically. It'll be just like Retin-a? LOL

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 03/09/2005 8:55 pm

You need to *stop* taking the vitamin A. It really *will* fuck you up until it ultimately kills you.

When you go on Accutane the doc tests your liver function, and monitors the effects. You haven't done that. You cholesterol will rise, and you are risking heart disease just from that.

Vitamin A is believed to gradually screw up your bones. As in osteoporosis, much earlier and much worse. Just that can and will kill you; and trust somebody who recently broke their leg, even for a healthy person, that ain't any fun at all.

It also screws around with your joints, brain, eyes and skin.

Maybe the skin effects will be good in your case, but I wouldn't like to bet, but the brain, joints and eyes are *not*.

The topical version is *much* safer, you won't get much absorbed, so the liver is safe. The main risk is overdrying. Oh yeah and keep out of the sun.

I think you should drop down to no more than 50% RDA and get the rest of your A from fresh fruit and vegetables (carotenes).

Seriously, I ain't kidding. What you are doing is near suicidal.

STOP!

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/10/2005 2:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I stopped taking it internally this morning, but don't think I'll need to anymore. Actually [Removed] made me swear not to take it internally before it let me buy for the same reasons you gave. Seems like one bottle contains enough Vit A to kill someone 3-times over if they swallowed it all at once. Still, the site also says that some races have inherited tougher livers that need a little more than the RDA says.

But it ain't nothin like RetinA, I've taken that before and it makes my face red and flaky. This stuff is oil-based and feels good going on and I expected my lips to be peeling by now but they aren't. The main thing is I'm sitting here in my cubicle knowing that my face isn't shiny as usual and I'm finally not compelled to run to the bathroom every hour to wipe it off. I've tried everything to get rid of the oil, because I know it's the main thing's been causing the breakouts all these years. And I've been lurking these boards for years with nothing good to say about my experience with treatments. I've tried RetinA, copper, zinc, topical spirolactone, azaleic acid, chromium, selenium, B5, low sugar, egg yolks, tetracycline, proactiv, benzoyl peroxide, AHA, peels, dermabrasion, and probably alot of others I've forgotten, but the only thing til now to get rid of the oil was accutane. Though I've been on it 2 and half times, it did stop the oil, but the minute I went off of it, it came right back. style_emoticons/

Internally, Vit A may not be that good for you, but I know you can't take accutane forever either without liver damage. Now that I found a sustainable treatment that will stop the oil, and after all the time and frustration and expense I've suffered, I'm seriously on the verge of tears. But if it ever stops working, I don't know what I'll do, probably have a nervous breakdown.

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 03/10/2005 4:40 pm

But if it ever stops working, I don't know what I'll do, probably have a nervous breakdown.

MemberMember
(@kabol)

Posted : 03/11/2005 6:19 pm

i read in a book i got at home that says to take 150 000 IU vit A / day for 3 months and then continue on 25 000 IU.... they don't put any warnings or anything on this... but since u ppl seem sure its harmful i guess i will not take this.

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/13/2005 1:09 pm

Wally's Report: Seven days since start of treatment.

Glad to say the sebum is still gone. Went out Sat and resolved not to wipe my face all day and my nose was dry at the end expect for maybe a little wetness in the lower corners. Maybe that'll go away eventually too, I hope. The 'skin solution' does get on my lips but they aren't dry or peeling like I expected. I am somewhat concerned that 5 or 6 small pinholes zits cropped up sporatically on my neck and cheeks, places I haven't broken out in years. Normally I get deep ones only and only in my once oily t-zone, but these guys were very superficial along with the one new pimple on the side of my nose and popped easily, did not absess, in fact they're almost invisible the next day! Older acne seems to heal slower, but at least one persistent boil seems to have turned into a regular open pore. eusa_dance.gif

So far I've used about 1/4 of the bottle. But I use alot, about 400,000 IU every night. Looks like the 20 dollar bottle will last about a month at this rate. Still not used to putting oil on my face. Just seems wrong. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/17/2005 10:40 pm

Wally's Report: 12 days since start of treatment.

Sebum is still gone. Actually got a little tan Tuesday. Spent 15 min at the pool. First time I could tolerate the sun in a while. Got more little bumps on my neck and temples, one at the top of my nose. Kinda scary. Even though they're superficial, there's a lot of small ones in areas I'm not used to having breakouts. One day I think I've made a big mistake, the next day think it was a good decision. Still it ain't anywheres as bad as accutane, but it's hard to resist the urge to put BP on. One good sign is that I can't squeeze much 'white junk' out of my nose pores, and a lot used to come out before starting. I guess the oil is drying up.

MemberMember
(@eversman)

Posted : 03/18/2005 8:38 am

Wally's Report: 12 days since start of treatment.

Sebum is still gone. Actually got a little tan Tuesday. Spent 15 min at the pool. First time I could tolerate the sun in a while. Got more little bumps on my neck and temples, one at the top of my nose. Kinda scary. Even though they're superficial, there's a lot of small ones in areas I'm not used to having breakouts. One day I think I've made a big mistake, the next day think it was a good decision. Still it ain't anywheres as bad as accutane, but it's hard to resist the urge to put BP on. One good sign is that I can't squeeze much 'white junk' out of my nose pores, and a lot used to come out before starting. I guess the oil is drying up.

MemberMember
(@mrstee)

Posted : 03/22/2005 5:14 pm

thanx, wally. i don't have much breakouts but i do have a lot of oil and my makeup just slides off my face by the end of the day. i can't use accutane because i am off oral contraceptives and may have a baby though i am not planning specifically for one. i ordered a bottle and the oil was gone next day, also the olive oil seems to keep me from drying out too much, so i recommend it so far for anyone wanting to contol the oil but not use a harmful internal thing like accutane, but whether it does anything for acne, i can't say.

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 03/27/2005 2:26 pm

This is the start of my fourth week and I'm feeling much better about this and myself since last post. Most of the tiny blemishes are gone and I see now that it works exactly the opposite of accutane. Whereas accutane works from the inside, making deep pimples erupt in a horrible mess at once, topical Vit A takes longer to reach the deep ones, causing the superfical scars to open up first. So while you still go through a 'purge' period, it ain't so bad. And actually the second week (worst one) wasn't much worse than my skin condition before I started, but now I'm feeling really good about my face, so I can finally say I'd recommend the treatment to anyone who's considering accutane. For twenty bucks, at least it's worth a try.

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 03/27/2005 4:01 pm

This is the start of my fourth week and I'm feeling much better about this and myself since last post. Most of the tiny blemishes are gone and I see now that it works exactly the opposite of accutane. Whereas accutane works from the inside, making deep pimples erupt in a horrible mess at once, topical Vit A takes longer to reach the deep ones, causing the superfical scars to open up first. So while you still go through a 'purge' period, it ain't so bad. And actually the second week (worst one) wasn't much worse than my skin condition before I started, but now I'm feeling really good about my face, so I can finally say I'd recommend the treatment to anyone who's considering accutane. For twenty bucks, at least it's worth a try.

MemberMember
(@codyy)

Posted : 03/30/2005 12:29 pm

I see that J/A/S/O/N makes a vitamin A cream called A-Skin Amins. Does anyone know how this compares to The Vitamin Cure's stuff. I've seen the IU's listed as 100,000 and 10,000. I'm not sure which is right. Has anyone tried this?

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 04/01/2005 2:43 pm

I admit this do dry the face up pretty fast...but u better wash ur hands good before taking a piss or ur johnson will crust over like a dead snake and won't be no good to noone

MemberMember
(@thomthumb)

Posted : 04/02/2005 6:49 pm

Retinol has always been WAY irritating to my skin, I would expect redness if you try this for a few weeks

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 04/03/2005 7:00 pm

I beg to differ. This is retinyl, not retinol. I've been on it for a month and my skin is less irritated using it than before. I got a tan, no peeling. In fact the constant peeling I've had since using accutane is almost stopped. My lips aren't dry and my face ain't red like it was on retin-A or in taking 100,000 IU of Vitamin A/day. Also the sore, itchy red areas I had for years at the bottom corners of my nose are almost completely healed.

I just started on the second bottle Saturday (took a month to drain). I must say, however, in waiting for the 2nd bottle to arrive I missed a day (Friday) and by Friday afternoon I saw a little more oil coming from the pores in my nose, but not as bad as before I started using it, so I don't know how long I need to take it before the oil glands shrink and I can stop. But at least being on it isn't a pain in the face like retinols are.

MemberMember
(@mrstee)

Posted : 04/04/2005 1:55 pm

lol, aynon razz.gif

i only put it on my T-zone or should i say "Tee-zone" eusa_sick.gif but i'm not red or get little bumps like wally had. just glad my foundation stays on.

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 04/10/2005 1:22 pm

Is ur name Tee cause u wear alot of Bling Bling? :0)

I'm actually less red than before I started. I've got the little bumps Wally had though.

Strange for me is the oil suppression don't work for 24 hours, only about 18 hours before I start to see seepage. Maybe my glands need time to shrink. But one thing is after that first wave of small bumpules went across my face, I can't find any more blackheads. Second thing is the bumps come from scarry areas, and opening up the scars is a good thing, right? Third is my face doesn't feel funky and pasty with oil anymore if u know what I talking about.

I dread the fact the Vitamen A seems to be reaching deeper into my skin though. cause I doubt the deeper acne won't come out so easily as those little bumps near the surface. But I don't mind if it comes out, as long as it stays out for good!

MemberMember
(@mrstee)

Posted : 04/15/2005 4:33 pm

evil.gif I pity the fool that mocks my jewelry!!! lol.gif

actually i'm a semi-pro golfer, hence 'Tee'.

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 04/17/2005 6:00 pm

I've been on it for 7 weeks and it's all good. The Vit A is getting deeper ones to break out, but it's very sporatic and few and far between. No more shallow ones except along my hairline -- seems weird but I don't mind it.

Aynon, I saw where you said the sebum-suppression lasts only 18 hours, and I had the same experience. The website says to put it on liberally at night, and put on a spot coat in the morning. So I also put a couple drops on my nose and let it soak in while I eat breakfast, wash my face and go the work. Try that.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 04/18/2005 10:43 pm

Hi Wally36. I am happy for you that the topical vitamin A is working for you. I have been on Accutane twice and everyother imaginable topical and antibiotic available. Accutane only worked while I was on it and ended up with a lot of back pain at the end of my second course. I have extremely oily skin and was hoping this stuff could help. I just got my first bottle of vitamin A+ today and was just wondering if you apply it directly to your face, put it on your fingertip, or from a cotton ball? Do you still use any bp in the morning? Thanks for your help!

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 04/20/2005 9:26 pm

Hey Wally36 or MrsTee, just looking for an update on your skin condition. I've just started this topical vitamin A and you're right, it just seems really wrong to be putting oil on my face. How long did it take to see improvement? I seem to be breaking out more now and I'm still oily (it's only been days). Wondering if this is an initial purge and my skin will get better soon, I hope! Let us know how you're doing.