Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lkirkp

So do I moisturize my pimples or dry them out?

2 questions actually...

I once took Accutane about 5 years ago (when I was 18) and the cysts stopped. But here in the past month, I have had about 3 or 4 come up, but all on the left cheek of my face. Is this something I should be scared about or is this kind of normal and expected to just pass by?

Second, I am confused by reading some posts about the treatment of pimples. So we need to moisturize our faces and the pimples, or should we dry them out? It would seem moisturizing would only provide moisture for the bacteria to spread and grow, but at the same time, it would seem that drying them would only cause irritation and infection to them. So which is it. Please help. Thanks!

Just to tell you something: my face is dry after I've washed it with warm water. I usually just let this be and just use a little bit of water at school to put on the dry spots. I had no new zits for a week. Last sunday I used a moisturizer around my chin and nose after washing my face and by the end of the day I had 4 whiteheads. The next day I discovered 2 new zits and a cyst next to my nose while I never have/had cysts. Tells you enough doesn't it?

Well for people who have oily faces and that is a cause of acne, you should probably moisturize (with a trusted oil free moisturizer) because it helps keep oil production to a minimum.

If your not oily skinned and oil isn't a precursor to your acne, it might not be needed. (so long as you can deal with whatever level of dryness your regimen is giving you) Moisturizers can break some people out apparently. Especially bad moisturizers.

Good points, all...but excessive dryness can also cause/exacerbate acne. So...I always recommend moisturzing (with a non-comedogeic moisturizer, of course).

Just my $.02...

I used to dry the hell out of my skin and my acne was not getting better at all. I'm now a huge fan of moisterizer. My skin is not irritated and it makes my overall complexion look so much better.

I like aloe vera as a moisturiser, it moisturises the skin and has a nice cooling effect... ie it reduces redness... just be sure that the one you get is noncomedogenic/nonacnegenic