Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hsmith

Should i ask to lower my dosage on Accutane?

I was on 40 mg a day and was starting to clear very much and went out of town and was off the medication for 10 days and came back with 80 mg a day. My acne before tane wasnt too bad ive been on 80mg for 2 months and my lifes been miserable my acne sucks and is now almost severe and i keep thinking its the last breakout but it never is sometimes i also use topical gels like AHA and bp to try to help and i dunno if it might make it worse. But its the last 4 months of my senior year and dances are comming up and this is awful. Im 175 pounds and my chapped lips and dry skin arent even that bad if i go down to 40 mg do you think the acne will get worse or better

Its possible that you are getting a sort of 2nd "initial breakout". How long are you taking the 80 mgs now?

The reason I think this is because you were off the medication for over a week, and then suddenly went to a higher dosage. Most people break out again after their dosage is increased, and you also werent taking it at all at the time of the increase...So I would think if youve only been on it a few weeks (the 80 mg) that its a 2nd breakout and it should subside soon. If it doesnt, call your derm and get prednisone or something like that to calm inflammation!

Guest Craigems

Hang in there, you said your've had 2 months on 80mg correcT?? it shouldnt be long for you to be start getting clear, dropping down to 40mg will make your course longer, also i would suggest talking to your derm about this! maybe he can calibrate your course to suit your dance.