Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Donna

Any success with Microdermabrasion?

:?: I've read that this probably isn't the best procedure for acne scarring since it doesn't get down that deep, however I was still wondering if anyone had had any improvement with this (even if it took like 20 sessions or something). I would really like to try it when I've finished on accutane and don't mind if it takes a long time to see results, I just can't seem to figure out how I would get other procedures done without having to hide away for months while my skin heals etc. There is a clinic in my area that does it and they list acne scarring as one of the things they do it for, but maybe they mean only really minor ones. Hope you guys can help. Thanks! :)

Hi Donna

A couple of years ago I had a series of 8 microdermabrasions at a beauty salon - they left my face looking raw and also created some scatch like scarring that took a couple of months to heal! To make things worse, they also broke me out.

I thought it was all a scam too - but have since had 2 microdermabrasion treatments (in between needling treatments) that have worked really well. This time, I have had it done by the same lady who does my needling and that's in an aesthetician's clinic. She explained to me that there are many different microdermabrasion machines - some only cost a few thousand dollars and others cost up to 40 thousand. Hers is one of the really expensive ones.

So I think it depends on the machine and the person using it.

It won't help with deep scarring but is very useful for red marks, uneven skin tone and some very shallow scarring.

Saying that, I wouldn't advise you to do this staringt after accutane, you would need to wait at least 6 months to a year.