Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Illegal Life

Should I listen to My Derm?

yo Im new as you can see...

Well first off my acne marks arent red there like brownish, since I guess because Im black or something @[email protected]

Anyway my acne has kind of been under control lately, Ive been doing the regimen posted on this site, and using neutrogena salyclic (I know I butchered that spelling) acid

treatment, and taking a 100mg Doryx pill just recently, even though my acne was under control kind of before that.

I have some brown marks left over however from the old acne and my dermatologist told me to use tazorac cream since it's a retinal A to get rid of the pigment discoloraton. I used this once before for almost 5-6 months and itd break me out TERRIBLY and I evne told him that but he insists on me using it for the discoloration.

So the question is should I use it and risk getting an insane amount of pimples again? Or should I just wait for the skin discoloration to fade away with time and just be happy my acnes under control?

yo Im new as you can see...

Well first off my acne marks arent red there like brownish, since I guess because Im black or something @[email protected]

Anyway my acne has kind of been under control lately, Ive been doing the regimen posted on this site, and using neutrogena salyclic (I know I butchered that spelling)  acid   

treatment, and taking a 100mg Doryx  pill just recently, even though my acne was under control kind of before that.

I have some brown marks left over however from the old acne and my dermatologist told me to use tazorac cream since it's a retinal A to get rid of the pigment discoloraton.  I used this once before for almost 5-6 months and itd break me out TERRIBLY and I evne told him that but he insists on me using it for the discoloration.

So the question is should I use it and risk getting an insane amount of pimples again?  Or should I just wait for the skin discoloration to fade away with time and just be happy my acnes under control?

Why dont use it for a few days see what happens, if you start to break out i would stop. Dermatoligst dont give a fuck they want to write a prescription asap and see antoher patient to get more money. Try aplying eggwhite/lemon/honey mask everyday this is really helpfull and wont break u out

i agree, spot test first, if you see results and no breakout in that area, then start applying all over. if you dont see results or breakout, dont use it. i agree that Dr's just write whatever to get you out so they can go to the next, plus the drug companies give kickbacks to dr's that write prescriptions for the co's drug. knowing that makes me not trust dr's

ARRRRGHHH!!! dont use Tazorac especially if your skin has been under control with your med!!!!!! WARNING WARNING WARNING!!! it's VERY strong and i'm surprised your doc suggested it for just dark marks. it's been called the strongest topical med out there--the closest thing to topical Accutane! Yes, it's THAT strong.

BUT..

...that is not why I'm against it.

My personal horror: sad.gif

I had mild acne and my doc gave me Tazorac in Dec. At first, my skin smooth out, a little peely but much better. THEN....Three months later, I was breaking out more than ever--my skin had never gotten this bad my entire LIFE--so my doc put me on an antibiotic. My skin was still horrible and getting worse (cysts! everwhere!!). I was told to be patient, but I think 3 MONTHS was plenty of time to give Taz a chance, especially since the drugmaker's website claims some people get clear by the end of one month. NOT TRUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

as with any acne medication, there is always an inital break-out period, but I was fed up. by the end of Feb., I went to a different doc and he put me on Accutane, and I got my prescription two weeks ago.

THE ONLY GOOD THING about Tazorac is that it drove me to Accutane which will hopefully undo the misery Tazorac caused and give me complete clearing without having to experiment with any more medications.

Well I decided to not use the tazorac. I figure since I exfoliate twice a day the marks will just fade away over time...hopefully a few weeks or a month or two

Im on tazorac and my brown marks that've been on my face for over a year are fading little by little. I'm extremely happy.

~Poi

Tazorac was harsh for my sons cheeks but their noses handles it really well. They applied it there because it seemed to work really well for blackheads. If we applied it to other areas it seemed much harsher.