Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaysOfMyLife

1 year 7 months from my last Accutane Pill

Every once and awhile I come here wondering what the people here are up to. Visit after visit, I always see a few threads about Accutane being negative, positive, and some neutral. So, I figured I would give a brief 1 year 7 month after Accutane post.

I started Accutane when I was 18 with severe acne, minus the cysts. Basically I had a lot of zits that looked like small cysts, but I was able to pop. My face was far from anything I wanted to look at.

I was on it for four months taking 40mg one day then 80 mg the next. Within 3 days of starting my face exploded in the most disgusting acne I've ever witnessed. It was actually exciting counting 20+ full blown zits on my face at the start.

The side effects I had were severe depression, dry eyes, back aches, lost some hair and a lot of nose bleeds.

Was the depression and wanting to kill myself everyday worth the risk? YES!!! There is no way I was living with that type of face for the rest of my life. Most of the depression was probably more due to the fact my face looked so disgusting and I thought I was going to be severely scarred.

Was the dry eyes worth it? YES!!! It was actually funny because when I woke up, I couldn't see until I pulled my eye-lids away from my eye.

Was the back aches worth it? YES!!! Laying down having some pain in back was worth it.

Was losing hair worth it? YES!!!

Was the nose bleeds worth it? YES!!! Almost everytime I showered I had a nose bleed. I am kind of picky with being clean, which means I had nose bleeds sometimes 3 times a day. They were annoying, ruined some of my clothes and scariest part was I would get dizzy a lot.

1 year 7 months later:

Depression: Gone a week after taking the last pill.

Dry Eyes: In the morning they are still kind of dry, but 1-2 minutes after waking up they are fine.

Back Aches: Gone.

Lost Hair: Seems to have all grown back.

Nose Bleeds: Haven't had one since stopping accutane.

Now, the most important thing of all, where is my acne? I got quite the scare about 6 months after being done with accutane. It started to come back, but one thing that didn't work before sure does now. BP + Water = my friend. I put on BP cream once a day and I get a zit or two per week. Very rarely do I get a zit that is so disgusting that I can't leave my house. Most are so small that I have to be an inch from the mirror.

Second most important thing of all. Am I scarred? I will tell all of you something about accutane. When you take your last pill, you won't look good because you are going to have so many red marks that you think there is no way you can look good, ever. Give them time because they go away. I have one indented scar on above my eyebrow because I picked it while on accutane. Not sure whether or not I had a decrease in healing, but my cat barely scratched me while on 'tane and now I have an inch long scar on my arm. No biggy though.

In the end, it is your choice whether or not accutane is worth the risk.

Something like a year after finishing accutane.

[attachmentid=609]

And this was about a month ago.

[attachmentid=608]

So yea, I am happy with life. If you go on accutane, it is a long road to travel, but worth it.

post-21565-1110226540_thumb.jpg

post-21565-1110226560_thumb.jpg

post-21565-1110226540_thumb.jpg

post-21565-1110226560_thumb.jpg

hey thanks for sharing your story! i am three months into tane and happy with the improvements so far, i think it will be worth it. hope.

by the way, you are looking extreemly sexy. wink.gif and your skin is stellar.

This is a great post!!!! Thank you so much for putting all this information down. It feels like once our friends in the Prescription Medication Forum stop their treatment, they fall off the face of the earth. I think more people should check-in with their one-year progress. I promise I will.

I agree with the above members that your skin looks incredible. I can’t wait for the day I allow a camera near my face again. If you had showed me that picture before giving us your story, there is no way I ever would have thought you had acne.

Did you do anything to push along the healing process of your red marks and scars?

Time was my friend when it came to red marks and scarring. I thought for sure I was going to have indents all over my cheeks, but with each month my face slowly became smoother and smoother. When you have acne, you will never achieve a 100% perfect face, but if no one notices unless you are in the light 2 inches from your face, then you have it good.

first and foremost, awesome post. your skin looks fantastic, and so do you! wink.gif its so nice to read success stories like this, and kudos to you for coming to the boards and sharing it, youve really given the lot of us some huge inspiration. im currently finishing up my course of accutane, and everything youve described in your post sounds so much like me. i have cleared up, but the redmarks.. oh man, theyre bad! especially to me. its so heartening to hear that someone else had the same issue and that it all turned out in the end. cause yeah, although im clear, i dont look "clear", i know you know what i mean, and thats a bit disheartening cause i was hoping by the end of accutane id actually look as clear as i am. anyways, thanks again for sharing. ENJOY your skin, you look awesome! take care,

Lisa

Days of My life,

do you wear contacts? It concerns me that your eyes are still dry as that is my major side effect...berry

Days of My life,

do you wear contacts? It concerns me that your eyes are still dry as that is my major side effect...berry

My eyes are also still dry, 7months after... They are kind of "heavy" ..

I came off tane about 3 years ago and my eyes still get pretty dryish, i cant wear my contacts for too long. Just for going out in etc, but i think its different for everyone.

thanks a lot for posting your success bud. I am contemplating accutane, and there were a lot of negative threads about it lately. They got me thinkin too hard. Cheers to accutane smile.gif.

Ok first you look very good, you’re a hottie… wub.gif Thanx for the great post I know that I sure needed some inspiration! Best of luck to you and your new life acne free! eusa_clap.gifbiggrin.gif

seriously, mr. hotstuff, thanks.

i really needed that post to keep me going. i think i am in the midst of my initial breakout, and not believing that this will really work. its nice to know it did for you.

peace.

Guest Craigems

Yeh perfect post, this is what we need, more Accutane Success Stories! thankyou for that, it will help us all!

Days - thank you for this. It's especially encouraging to me, as a mom, cause my daughter is post accutane and the marks are taking forever to heal. I have to remind myself that it's only been 8 weeks off. I need patience NOW! You look so great and are so handsome. I'm very happy for you. It is wonderful when people come back.

Have you kept in touch with your derm? Do you still go for visits? What have you been using on your skin?

Days - thank you for this.  It's especially encouraging to me, as a mom, cause my daughter is post accutane and the marks are taking forever to heal.  I have to remind myself that it's only been 8 weeks off.  I need patience NOW!  You look so great and are so handsome.  I'm very happy for you.  It is wonderful when people come back. 

Have you kept in touch with your derm?  Do you still go for visits?  What have you been using on your skin?

The advantage to your daughter is she can wear make-up. Give her another 8 weeks and with some make-up she will look fine. My doctor not derm prescribed me accutane and I haven't been to the doctor in over a year. For my skin, I put on BP 2.5% at night and drink lots of water. BP doesn't work for me unless I drink water. Not sure how that works out, but that is the verdict.