Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimbaso

grr punch floats

I have been trying to find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in Michigan who does punch floats. And not ONCE have I called an office without having to repeat "punch...float" three times and then finally say: "float...as in float on water." It seems that punch floats used to be quite popular 7 or 8 years ago, why has it fallen off the face of the Earth?

I am trying to get my punch floats done in Michigan, so that I will not have to make two trips to New Orleans to see Dr. Y, if I decide to have dermabrasion with him and not someone in Michigan.

Does anyone, by any chance, know of someone in Michigan that still does them?

Thanks all!

Hi Meet Pete,

How did the dermabrasion mess up your face? I recall on another post you said you only got one new scar from the dermabrasion.

Please elaborate.

Thank you!

I have been trying to find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in Michigan who does punch floats.  And not ONCE have I called an office without having to repeat "punch...float" three times and then finally say: "float...as in float on water."

Yes...I'm really beginning to wonder how doctors who have "specialized" in fields such as dermatology don't even KNOW what all of a patient's options are. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It really makes me so frustrated that this has happened to so many people.

Best,

Kim

I have been trying to find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in Michigan who does punch floats.  And not ONCE have I called an office without having to repeat "punch...float" three times and then finally say: "float...as in float on water."  It seems that punch floats used to be quite popular 7 or 8 years ago, why has it fallen off the face of the Earth?

I am trying to get my punch floats done in Michigan, so that I will not have to make two trips to New Orleans to see Dr. Y, if I decide to have dermabrasion with him and not someone in Michigan.

Thanks all!

Hey North,

I have a consultation set up with a otolaryngologist at the University of Michigan. I called their Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center in Livonia and got a pretty promising answer when I asked about dermabrasion. I made sure to ask several times to distinguish between microdermabrasion and dermabrasion. All of the doctors there perform both Laser and Dermbrasion, the nurse says regularily. They do it with the diamond wheel though. THey are pretty booked up, if you want one of the more experienced doctors, you might not be able to get an appointment until the beginning of May, but you can always keep checking back for cancellations. My consultation isn't until March 17. Until then, I"m trying desperately to find someone who does "punch floats." After hearing all the new posts about Dr.Y and the fact that he hasn't returned my own phone calls in about two weeks, I'm not sure if it's worth going all the way to New Orleans to be treated by him. If you want the center's info. you can PM me or just search umich.edu for the name of the center. Good luck! Let me know if you come across anyone promising...

Best,

Kim

I acually called there and spoke with them about the different procedures. I had originally set up an appoinnment with Dr. Baker (i think that was his name any ways), but then I canceled and decided to do some more research before taking the plunge into any procedures. Thanks for the info and let me know how your consult goes. When I talked with the nurse she seemed pretty set on lasers for acne scarring saying that it was the "gold standard". I would be curious to hear what the doctor has to say. Good luck. If I have any luck finding out information about punch floats I will let you know.

Hey North,

I have a consultation set up with a otolaryngologist at the University of Michigan.  I called their Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center in Livonia and got a pretty promising answer when I asked about dermabrasion.  I made sure to ask several times to distinguish between microdermabrasion and dermabrasion.  All of the doctors there perform both Laser and Dermbrasion, the nurse says regularily.  They do it with the diamond wheel though.  THey are pretty booked up, if you want one of the more experienced doctors, you might not be able to get an appointment until the beginning of May, but you can always keep checking back for cancellations.  My consultation isn't until March 17.  Until then, I"m trying desperately to find someone who does "punch floats."  After hearing all the new posts about Dr.Y and the fact that he hasn't returned my own phone calls in about two weeks, I'm not sure if it's worth going all the way to New Orleans to be treated by him.  If you want the center's info. you can PM me or just search umich.edu for the name of the center.  Good luck!  Let me know if you come across anyone promising...

Best,

Kim

It would be good to ask those doctors also, why they think laser is the "gold standard" and the best method for treating acne scars? Don't they really know what they are talking about, or is the members of this board just too severe cases? I feel also very sad and frustrated, that so called experts who charge big money don't really seem to know their area of expertise. Punch floats/elevations, punch grafts and dermabrasions seem to be totally unknown or at least unexperienced techniques for majority of plastic surgeons.

I have been trying to find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon in Michigan who does punch floats.  And not ONCE have I called an office without having to repeat "punch...float" three times and then finally say: "float...as in float on water."  It seems that punch floats used to be quite popular 7 or 8 years ago, why has it fallen off the face of the Earth?

Thanks all!

Try to use a term "punch elevation" next time.

And no, I don't think punch floats were popular 8-10 years ago. Then anywhere I asked didn't know to offer anything else but CO2-laser, dermabrasion or cutting the scars out.

Kimbasco,

I also live in Michigan and had the punches done in Traverse City many years ago.  The procedure was a bit different than what I had done at Dr. Y's office but the results were the same.  They called it a "punch graft"; they removed a plug of skin from behind my ear and grafted it into the scar on my face.  It worked just as well as the floats I had done recently.  Maybe some of the docs around here would be familiar with the "graft" term instead?

Kimbaso, Ebby, or others that live in michigan....do you have any recommendations of anyone that performs chemical peels.

Ebby...I was wondering where at in traverse city you got your punch grafts done and did you have any other kind of treatment and would you recommend this physician to anyone else.

Thanks for the help

Kimbaso....the grafts are not much different than the floats. The scar I had it done on was a chicken pox scar and not very deep. The doc performed the procedure in the same amount of time that Dr. Y did the floats....regular office visit stuff.

Northernflower.....Dr. Tobin did the grafts; I really don't know if he's still practicing there. His office was near the college (I think it was on Front St.......I moved from there several years ago and have forgotten alot of the street names!) Actually, he did a great job on the graft, but he also did my first dermabrasion and it was disastrous. I don't think he was very experienced and it ruined the skin texture.

Whoohoo!

I just talked to Dr. Y (yes, he's nice) and he said that I have very little that would need to be punch elevated and that it wouldn't be worth my time to come to NO twice just to get two icepicks elevated. I don't know if I'm going to be going to Dr.Y for the dermabrasion, but he gave me some good advice. I think that flying to NO and paying $4500 is all a bit too much for me. I'm also starting to think that the diamond wheel will be safer for me than the brush. I have a consult with someone in Michigan (March 17), with the University of Michigan and I'll decide from there.

But, the whoohoo was because I found someone in MI who does punch elevations, for all of you looking! His name is Dr. Vladamir Panine and he is in Lansing. Office number: (517)487-5957. I have an appointment on March 30th, will let you michiganders know how it goes and how he is.

I didn't call Tobin, Ebby, he was on the bottom of my very long list and when I found Panine (he was close to the bottom) I just stopped calling because I really hate calling doctors' offices.