Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cassadie

Accutane and Antibiotics

Is anyone taking an antibiotic with Accutane, like a cocktail? I am on Accutane 40mg daily and 250mg of Zithromax every other day. My first month on Accutane was just that alone and now on my second month my derm added in the Zithromax. I did not have sever acne by any means before I started so maybe my derm was amazed when I saw her last that my face looks like shit cuz it does, way worse then before I was on the tane. I was thinking that she was going to give me prednisone definitely not Zithromax, I have only been on them together for a couple of weeks so I have not really noticed any difference with the Zithromax. confused.gif

If anyone else is taking an antibiotic with the Accutane I would love to hear how it is going for you-PLEASE! biggrin.gif

im on accutane and tetracycline lotion. I was on the tane for about 3 months with still alot of bacne. Once I added the tetracycline my back totally cleared within two weeks. Now I just have to get rid of the red marks

Is anyone taking an antibiotic with Accutane, like a cocktail?  I am on Accutane 40mg daily and 250mg of Zithromax every other day.  My first month on Accutane was just that alone and now on my second month my derm added in the Zithromax.  I did not have sever acne by any means before I started so maybe my derm was amazed when I saw her last that my face looks like shit cuz it does, way worse then before I was on the tane.  I was thinking that she was going to give me prednisone definitely not Zithromax, I have only been on them together for a couple of weeks so I have not really noticed any difference with the Zithromax. confused.gif

If anyone else is taking an antibiotic with the Accutane I would love to hear how it is going for you-PLEASE! biggrin.gif

Cassie: I was sick two weeks ago and my doctor prescribed me Zithromax. I didn’t have the same reaction that you did but I am on my fifth month of Accutane and it wasn’t prescribed to control my acne. When I was breaking out on Accutane, my first dermatologist prescribed Erythromycin which didn’t clear up my acne at all and made me puke. I have heard of it working for some people however. I haven’t heard of anyone being prescribed Zithromax to control their acne, however - - and the dose you are on sounds pretty high.

Since my acne was cystic, my new dermatologist prescribed Prednisone and it helped me out wonderfully. Still, if your acne isn’t cystic, Prednisone isn’t going to do anything for you and has the potential to make you break out even more.

If this is your initial breakout, then this reaction is pretty normal to just Accutane alone.

Cassie:  I was sick two weeks ago and my doctor prescribed me Zithromax.  I didn’t have the same reaction that you did but I am on my fifth month of Accutane and it wasn’t prescribed to control my acne.  When I was breaking out on Accutane, my first dermatologist prescribed Erythromycin which didn’t clear up my acne at all and made me puke.  I have heard of it working for some people however.  I haven’t heard of anyone being prescribed Zithromax to control their acne, however - - and the dose you are on sounds pretty high.

Since my acne was cystic, my new dermatologist prescribed Prednisone and it helped me out wonderfully.  Still, if your acne isn’t cystic, Prednisone isn’t going to do anything for you and has the potential to make you break out even more.

If this is your initial breakout, then this reaction is pretty normal to just Accutane alone.

So the Zithromax was for an ear infection and not for your acne? I’m confused.

When my dermatologist prescribed Erythromycin, I didn’t see any change in my acne. This could have something to do with the fact that I couldn’t keep the pills down. (oh, the joys of puking at work!) It wasn’t until my new dermatologist gave me a prescription to Prednisone that I actually saw a difference.

P.S. Always check interactions for yourself at www.drugs.com. When my doctor prescribed me Zithromax, I made him show me the book of interactions. I’ve worked for medical malpractice attorneys in the past. Don’t put too much faith in doctors.

Cassadie check out the thread in "antibiotics- quick resistance test?". There are three links to articles regarding zithromax for acne. it's somewhat new in the acne world. I am currently on it with accuatne- and I think it works quite well- but I also started it before my accuatne treatment.

zithromax is a powerful antibiotic and stays in your body longer than the other more traditional ones. It is perfectly safe on accuatne- it is related to erythromycin. Give it a chance- antibiotics take a few weeks to kick in...

So the Zithromax was for an ear infection and not for your acne?  I’m confused.

When my dermatologist prescribed Erythromycin, I didn’t see any change in my acne.  This could have something to do with the fact that I couldn’t keep the pills down.  (oh, the joys of puking at work!)  It wasn’t until my new dermatologist gave me a prescription to Prednisone that I actually saw a difference.

P.S.  Always check interactions for yourself at www.drugs.com.  When my doctor prescribed me Zithromax, I made him show me the book of interactions.  I’ve worked for medical malpractice attorneys in the past.  Don’t put too much faith in doctors.

Guest Craigems

I was on minocycline and Accutane, and prednisone all at the same time ... i only just stopped the minocycline! lol. i was on it with 20mg a day of accutane. now i'm 40mg/day now without the minocycline!

Im going to ask to go on zithromax with accutane for first 6 or so weeks, maybe temper the initial breakout so my face doesent get any more scars than it needs to.

Im going to ask to go on zithromax with accutane for first 6 or so weeks, maybe temper the initial breakout so my face doesent get any more scars than it needs to.