Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so I went out and got a concealer (clinique acne solutions concealing cream), it works pretty nicely and matches my skin color well, but if I rub it in too much (im supposed to use my finger to do it, I think its too creamy to use a brush) it kinda flakes. Anyway, It covers the acne and red marks well, but in order to cover all the red marks on my face I would have to put it over almost my whole face, which doesnt look good (makes my skin tone look very uneven).

So I heard that foundation is like a lighter makeup that you put on your whole face, and evens out your skin color, as well as covering redmarks some? My questions are as follows:

1) Would this work for a guy? I dont want it to look like I have makeup on if I can help it, but as it is now if I put just concealer on you can tell im wearing it because my skin tone is so uneven.

2) What brands would you recommend for a guy? Preferably something I can buy in a store, but online would be *ok* as well.

3) I could just put the concealer on the bigger spots and then apply the foundation to my entire face over top of it, correct? Whats the best way to apply the foundation?

4) How good of a job does it do at covering the red marks? (I HATE THEM !!!!!!)

5) Are all foundations acne safe? As in non-comedegonic and oil free or whatever?

If not what should I be looking for on the labels?

Thanks lots for answering whoever can smile.gif I want to look my best for something I gotta do in 2 weeks, so quick answers would be appreciated smile.gif

1) Would this work for a guy? I dont want it to look like I have makeup on if I can help it, but as it is now if I put just concealer on you can tell im wearing it because my skin tone is so uneven.

It would work. You just have to search for one that works with your skin. Foundation can look disgusting or it can look nice.

2) What brands would you recommend for a guy? Preferably something I can buy in a store, but online would be *ok* as well.

I'm not sure. You have to try them out. I'd suggest going to a department store and having them match you and give you samples. That way you can see if it is the right color and if it looks natural and blah blah blah. [prescriptives is good]. From the drugstore I like almay foundation, and I heard max factor face infinity is good.

3) I could just put the concealer on the bigger spots and then apply the foundation to my entire face over top of it, correct? Whats the best way to apply the foundation?

I don't put on concealer first because then you rub the foundation over which messes up the concealer. I put on moisturizer, then foundation, then concealer.

4) How good of a job does it do at covering the red marks? (I HATE THEM !!!!!!)

I wear makeup because of red marks, if I didn't have them I'd probably go virtually makeup-less. Foundation doesn't do a great job of covering them. They help a little, but concealer does the best for them. You can always get a heavy foundation, but those are obvious and show up on your face as being made up.

5) Are all foundations acne safe? As in non-comedegonic and oil free or whatever?

If not what should I be looking for on the labels?

All foundations are definitely not acne safe. And what's scary is sometimes they can be oil free and stuff but they still might make you break out and stuff. You have to try out different kinds, and stay away from ones with oil. Almay [you get it at drugstores] is oil free and all that.

Hey Dustino,

I think if you want a cover up for red marks you should go with powder. It looks really natural if you put it on with a brush. I like Neutrogena loose powder. What you can do is first put on moisturizer (optional) then concealer then dust on the powder.

Hi,

I think tinted moisturizers would work well for your whole face since you don't want too much coverage. Wearing full-coverage foundation would probably be too much.

Tinted moisturizers are very sheer and natural, plus it moisturizes too.

I recommended it to some of my guy friends and they loved how it evens out the skin tone without making you look like you are actually wearing makeup.

It is very easy to apply and you'll never find it flaky like Clinique concealer.

I used to use Clinique concealing cream too and i know it covers very well and it medicated too.

I think the best way for you is to use tinted moisturizer first and then cover the spots with Clinique concealer.

If you have normal to normal/oily skin, try Aveda tinted moisturizers. They are the lightest TM I've ever tried.

Or if you have oily skin, try Chanel Voile Universel. They are light enough to just even out the redness in your skin, and won't break you out since its consistency is very watery.

Hope you'll find something that works for you smile.gif

Hey Dustino,

I think if you want a cover up for red marks you should go with powder.  It looks really natural if you put it on with a brush.  I like Neutrogena loose powder.  What you can do is first put on moisturizer (optional) then concealer then dust on the powder.

--SNIP-- You have to try them out.  I'd suggest going to a department store and having them match you and give you samples.  That way you can see if it is the right color and if it looks natural and blah blah blah. [prescriptives is good].  --SNIP--

A tinted moisturizer sounds like a good choice. On the other hand, if you opt for complete overall coverage with makeup, your face will loose its features/dimensionality and look unnatural.

Instead, consider using a self-tanning product. You may want to try one of the spray on tans at a salon. Alternatively, I recommend the kind that comes in saturated towelettes as opposed to the creams as the latter may aggravate acne.

The darker color produced by the tanning product will camouflage the acne scars, but start with one application and gradually go darker. If you use several applications all at once and then go to work or school, people will absolutely look at you strangely. Also test the product on your skin first to make sure it doesn't make your skin look orange. If it does, try a different brand. The tanning ingredient is the same, but its combination with other inactive ingredients is what produces a different color on each individual's skin.

When applying the product, be sure to cover all exposed areas including the neck and ears. Remember, real tans don't end with just the face.

Note that if you are using a chemical exfoliant, your artificial tan may not last as long so you will be required to repeat the application more often. Lastly, don't even think about using a tanning bed. All the prescriptions one may be taking plus the topical products applied to treat the acne can cause sensitivity to UV rays not to mention the potential of cancer.