Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
max_

Ambition - stop taking Accutane if you feel bad

Just one post about ambition

I just have to post one post about ambition.

I´ve always been thinking about what I did wrong to get long term psychological symptoms from the medicine.

It has gotten to the point that I´ve started to doubt myself, though I in my deep inner know that the problem occured directly during the treatment, and especially in the end of it.

Many young people are very ambitious, goal-oriented, and that can very disastrous in the Accutane-matter. Maybe you are a person that always has scored the highest in school, valedictorian, always worked hard to achieve goals, worked to get a good job and university education, that you have set.

Do not set your goal-oriented mind in taking accutane until your acne is gone. It may mean that you don´t listen to signals that the body/brain gives you during treatment to quit.

Roaccutane can clear acne, it is a matter of doseage. But in some cases, the accumulated doseage that has to be taken until your acne disappears, is so high, that you will have psychological symptoms - as a result.

Drop your ambitions when it comes to Accutane, listen to your body, be very aware when you take it.

/Max

i don't think i understand what you are saying...

"do not set you goal-oriented mind in taking accutane until your acne is gone"???

can you please clarify this?

what psychologial symptoms have you experienced?

thanks.

My list of symptoms:

When it comes to motivation, the problem is that if you are so determined to get rid of your acne, you may not listen to your body. You may not take the warnings that it gives to you, and say: "if I just go on with the treatment for another month, my acne-problems will be solved forever". Not the way to be reasoning; also do not think that by necessarity all symptoms go away after stopping treatment.

Started after treatment, and have gradually gotten worse.

depression:

- lack of ability to feel natural feelings

I can not explain exactly what sort of feelings that there is a lack of with words, you can´t explain feelings very well. But lets compare it to vision; if you can see all colors than you have functioning feelings. If you only can see black and white, then there is a lack in the spectra.

I do not enjoy life as I did, I´m restless, cant find peace.

- lack of ability to concentrate - fluctuations throughout the days. I dropped from always perform as the top 5 percent in any class i entered, to drop classes, score below average, or don´t take the classes at all

- tinnutus - a tone ringing in my ears, that change depending on how I feel

- lowered potence; a lack of interest for sex, and the opposite sex. It depends, somedays I feel no interest at all, some days I feel interest. This is not only while having sex, it is also as a general, it does not interest me much to meet a girl

- Itching, it feels like my hands and legs are filled with needles at times. This appears only a couple of times a day

- headaches, comes at times, but is not the main problem

- psychological problems - I have moodswings, meaning that all my thoughs and behaviour vary extremely from day to day. Sometimes I can laugh for half an hour, sometimes I experience one of the deepest low, and cry. Sometimes I feel stable.

- suicidal thoughs - they appear most when I´m about to go to sleep, some days they don´t appear at all

- lack of motivation; I have severe problems to motivate myself to do anything, sometimes I don´t want to get up of bed. I do not get a "kick" from exercising, as I could when I was younger.

- increased need of sleep; my need of sleep varies from 9-12 hours a day

- a desperate need for physical exercise; I do physical exercise several times a week, and if I don´t do I feel like shit

- eating problems; sometimes I crunch sugar and fat

- tiredness; I feel apathy, I don´t respond to feelings as I should.

- cognitive decline; I used to be a sharp person, but now my thoughts are interrupted, and I can´t think as clear

- problems with memory; I forget keys, where I put things and so on. I find it more difficult to study

- problems with immune-defense; I seldom had colds and infections; now I have them very often, and they are very difficult to battle. When having a cold, all symptoms worsen

What this has lead to is:

- a worsened social life; I don´t have as many friends as I used to have, I used to live an active life, I don´t have energy to do that anymore

- problems with relations: there are few girls that appreciate a tired person with moodswings and I have problems find motivations for finding a girl

- problems with work; I´ve managed to work 50%, but even that is difficult. I can not work under stress, I do not tolerate stress at all

- problems with family; they expect more from me, I can not be cheerful

Do you honestly feel that Accutane caused you to feel this way? I think that you said that you were 16 when you took it right? Well 16 is not old at all so it would be very difficult to blame something like this on Accutane. I think that you have some issues and really need to seek some help, someone who can just listen to all that you need to get out, but telling us all how terrible Accutane is, is not the answer. How old are you now and how long were you on Accutane? How much did you take? Have you had excessive weight gain? Do you consider yourself attractive? I think (my opinion) that you have a self confidence problem and may be over weight or something, you have some serious issues to blame Accutane for all of your failures in life. I hope that you get some help.

yo bud you got everything wrong. one or two of these symptoms may be from accutane. Courses get harder as you get older, thus making you want to drop out. If you don't exercise off accutane you feel like total shit. I always forget where i put stuff, no accutane. i always daydream, you could possibly have picked up ADD in the past couple years. People have joys and hardships, EVERYONE HAS THEM! if you only felt good, you would be abnormal. I think you don't enjoy life because you think about it too much, move on with your life. If you sit here on the acne boards complaining about what happened, and research accutane forever, you will grow old and die. Live with what you did to yourself and accept it. After all you made the decision. The tiredness, immune defections, suicidal thoughts, itching, and headaches may be because of the accutane. You could of also just used accutane as a scapegoat after picking these habits up. Anyways, your just giving this forum a scare as paul said. You aren't changing anybody's mind, just venting about how your life sucks.

It does sound like you're depressed with the lack of motivation and interest in things you used to enjoy. A lot of that describes how I've felt. I don't think it's really fair to blame all of that on Accutane. Depression can come up in anyone's life at any time.

cassidy,

Accutane was what brought me into the vicious circle.

I consider myself attractive, and I´ve met girls at times, its just that I can´t make a relation, it does not work in the long run. though I have gained 20 kilos since Accutane.

The depression is not a life event thing. Well, secondary, because I can´t live the life I could have, it gets to be. But my sife situation in itself is not the cause of this.

Ok, to be honest, I took the medicine twice, not only when I was 16, but also a second time at the age 22. Now I am 26.

Allready taking it the first time had a large impact on me, though I did not know it, or anybody around me either. That is when my personality started to change. I got acne back when I was 18, and beteen the ages of 16 and 18, when I look back at it, I didn´t have a stable mood. My need for sleep increased, and my ability to concentrate got worse. "Just something that happens to teenagers", I did not reflect over it.

I was positive, as I´ve always been, but being positive does not necessarily mean that there are no psychological symptoms.and did not do anything about it. When I was 22 I decided, for some stupid reason, to take accutane again. And that was probably what my body could take of it.

I took no extreme doses; by looking back in my journals, what I´ve taken is 4 months x2, with a dose that is about 0,7 mg/kg.

The derm,

At taking it the first time, there was not much to do. I didn´t even decide it myself, just took it as told. About the second time I´ve talked with my derm, and he doesn´t deny the problem. I have no reason for turning my anger towards him, after he presented how he had been selectively informed about the drug, and how he viewed it.

He had simply underestimated the risks, and there was no meaning of torturing him with guilt. The way the Accutane information is built up is so sophisticated that it is amazing. 50 percent of the studies deny the connections, 50 percent suggest that there might be a likelihood, the mechanism is not known, and still side-effects are listed on the package. It is a clean cover for the future - and an escape from the present.

Some dermatologists are as mislead as I was, even though they have experience.

Blood and liver tests were taken, as standard procedure, and did not show anything abnormal.

Your cumulative dose is quite high, up around 157mg/kg (or higher) from what I have calculated.

Guest Craigems

Max_ everyone who suffers from depression, suffer from it before tane. Tane can only make it worse somewhat because of increased acne... Personally i think it really has less to do with Accutane rather more to do with your life and how you live it. You are gonna be less motivated if you eat McDonalds every day. You are going to be motivated if you go to the gym. Stop blaming everything else and wake up to yourself and the fact that maybe it isnt the drug!, and it is your making it conquer you, go out and be active. If need be get a personal trainer, Then come back and tell me your still lathargic.

Craigems,

I´m not the one who gives up in the first place. Situational, a life event, maybe I hung my entire person up on acne? No. Maybe it had to do with my expectations about Accutane? No. Just a severe mistake for me to take the medicine, I would have loved to see myself with full health now.

I did not manage to take care of my body, I took the wrong maneuver twice, that is the problem.

No. I had acne, it was a bothering fact in my life, but nothing in comparison to this.

My body doesn´t work as it should craig. I´ve been pushing myself for years, with this condition, and that´s the problem. It has drained the energy out of a person that had plenty of it.

Denying it all? I think that I would loose my mind completely if I would try to.

Go on, you´re right, I must. But I hate that I´ve become a person that complains about life. Of course I will go on, I guess I´m to weak to do anything else.

/Max

max

you need to stop eusa_hand.gif being a victim! stop blaming everything on accutane. even if accutane did cause problems for you, move on.

you remind me of my boyfriends brother. he's depressed, extremely thin, poor, etc. and he walks around saying "this is gods will". wouldn't he be better off if he said something more productive?

it sounds like youre eating a lot of high fat, high sugar foods and maybe your 9-12 hours of sleep per night is a sign of some kind of sleep disorder. like sleep apnea or something. i dunno.

you can help yourself.

~shineygal

True,

I can walk, I can talk, I can write, I can see, I can hear - I mean the problem shouldn´t be that big.

It is difficult to keep a perfect diet and life, in order to have a good condition. It is possible when you have a lot of energy.

Yes, there is so much to do, so much to see, that the future is brilliant. I love life for what it is, and I am not a victim. No, never, I´m just a product of circumstances, and stepped on the wrong stone.

What a hell, even those in wheelchairs laugh at times, so why couldn´t I?

I am not a victim! Yes, there we have it. Oh tralala, now the problem is solved.

You have no idea, that´s for sure. But maybe I should give some support group a try, sit there and babble about how good I think that life is.

A retired person

A retired person can have fun, maybe that´s the view of myself that I should have. I´ve tried small relations, travelled a bit, had true friends, felt and experienced things. Try somehow to stretch those good experiences and moments of life, to be what happened during my youth and middle-age.

It´s just that it is hard to accept that I´m now, as if I would be 65. Time to write memoaires, a bibliografy or something. Give some peace of advice to young people, tell them to take care about their health and what they have.

^Hey, just wanted to say good luck bro. Depression is a bitch. I have been grappling with certain existential quandaries for years, its an ongoing battle that has often been aggravated by medication as well (namely, birth control).

Two things have helped me:

1) When I get extremely caught up in the bullshit that is daily life, I try to remember that in the greater scheme of things, today's events are really pretty fucking trivial. Relationships are trivial, "love" and ego gratification are trivial, making a particular sale is trivial, etc. It takes some of the pressure off to step back and remind oneself of the greater picture.

2) I started taking a pretty hefty course of supplements six months ago, and its done wonders, fucking wonders I tell you. I started using essential fatty acids, organic coconut oil, lecithin, zinc, cod liver, flax, its been great. Let me know if you want more info about the specific brands, its really been helpful. Lost weight, more focus, and a little more even keel overall. And the acne I had, which was admittedly very mild, has almost vanished.

I have no idea if any of that was helpful, but I thought I'd pass along some of the shit that's worked for me.

Good luck homie, I hope you feel better!

I even tried an interesting job, for half a year, before my healht fell and that can represent my career, to have that part covered.

Dude, you really need to get back in the game. Being a mopey sad sack without trying to pull out of it is not going to help you.

Are you seeking counselling? Maybe you need to go on the happy pills for awhile to get back up to speed?

Well, thanx for sharing those true words, it is true.

Just laught about it, call myself the joker. A new sokrates, that nobody takes seriously, not even myself, that ramble about society; something fun shall there be.

Theatres

There are actors in theatres that are about as messed up psychologically as me, I love to go to watch a theatre. It also reminds me about feelings, and how strong they can be when you can experience them.

A theatre is an escape, it a the place where you can move out from your own body in the best of ways, it is where the most strange thoughts are allowed. I is a place where to laugh at peculiarities.

Relations are pretty trivial, who cares, and maybe I´ll meet some girl that is enough psychologically messed up to match me, who knows.

Dude, what are you doing to attempt to improve the situation? When you finally get your shit together you may look back on this time and think, "Oh hell, I wasted months/years being an ineffective depressed victim." So why not bypass all that regret and get cracking now?

If I get myself together, I will probably be very well be able to handle that I lost years of my life. I think that I would be so grateful, that there is no end to it.

I´ve tried antidepressives of various kinds, natural supplements of all sorts, but to be honest in this case, long term use of antidepressives, is not good at all. Sooner or later they stop functioning as well, and then you are even lower. Compensating after accutane is difficult, in many ways. Therefore a technique that not compensates, but solves the problem is what is of interest.

^Hey, just wanted to say good luck bro.  Depression is a bitch.  I have been grappling with certain existential quandaries for years, its an ongoing battle that has often been aggravated by medication as well (namely, birth control). 

Two things have helped me:

1)  When I get extremely caught up in the bullshit that is daily life, I try to remember that in the greater scheme of things, today's events are really pretty fucking trivial.  Relationships are trivial, "love" and ego gratification are trivial, making a particular sale is trivial, etc.  It takes some of the pressure off to step back and remind oneself of the greater picture. 

2)  I started taking a pretty hefty course of supplements six months ago, and its done wonders, fucking wonders I tell you.  I started using essential fatty acids, organic coconut oil, lecithin, zinc, cod liver, flax, its been great.  Let me know if you want more info about the specific brands, its really been helpful.  Lost weight, more focus, and a little more even keel overall.  And the acne I had, which was admittedly very mild, has almost vanished. 

I have no idea if any of that was helpful, but I thought I'd pass along some of the shit that's worked for me. 

Good luck homie, I hope you feel better!

Could you please list all the brand and specifics about the supplements you're taking? I too could benefit from more supplements. Im taking a B Complex, Ester C, Biotin, and EPO. I could use some more energy producers and what nots....

Hey max, a question:

What happens when you take Vitamin A supplements? Do they effect you in any way?

Max,

Do you still suffer from acne? redface.gif I know that I would be depressed that I still had acne after Accutane, and you have taken it twice, so that would suck. Do you live in the US? I have been all over the world and there is so much to see and do everywhere, get out and enjoy life, live in the moment not the past. Think positive be thankful that you wake up each day as we are all so blessed for that. eusa_angel.gif