Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squeegy

My Accutane Journal

By way of background, I'm a 31-yr. old male with persistent mild to sometimes moderate acne. I have had mild acne since I was 15 and it has become more moderate over the past couple years. I have tried numerous things over the years, but nothing has worked. My derm has put me on one 20mg pill per day.

Today is my 7th day. The only side effect I have seen so far is dry lips. I have seen no reduction in oil on my face. I have very oily skin. I am usually shiny within an hour of washing my face.

For those individuals that are on a small dose like I am, when did you begin to see a reduction in the oil on your face. My oily skin bothers me as almost much as the acne.

Day 9

Not much change in the last couple days except for my lips are getty very dry. My skin is still very oily. I'm hoping that the oil will begin to deminish soon now that my lips are becoming dry. I've had a few whiteheads pop up since I started accutane. I have noticed that I'm getting smaller spots over the past week. I hope this trend continues and the breakouts begin to slow down. Other than that, I have not experienced any other side effects.

Day 10

Still getting new spots on my cheeks and a couple of whiteheads on my chin. My lips are very dry, but my skin is still as oily as before I started. I wish that my skin would begin to dry out. I know that my problem is caused by how oily my skin is.

Day 13

I'm just getting tired of this. My face is still as oily as when I began. I want the oil to decrease soon. I know that this is the main cause of my acne and until I get this under control I'm going to continue to break out. I think my dosage is going to have to be bumped to 40mg next month.

Day 14

I am really getting tired of dealing with this. I have broken out quite a bit over the last couple days, but I'm seeing absolutely no decrease in oil. My only side effect continues to be dry lips, but there not even that bad. When is the oil going to decrease? I've been dealing with oily skin and acne for nearly half of my life and I just want it to go away. It is really beginning to take a toll on my life and my family.

Day 17

Things are not getting any better. I have three decent size spots right now and usually I'll only have one big spot at a time. One of the spots is on the side of my mouth and it is swollen. I still have not noticed any decrease in oil. Another thing is my scalp is not nearly as dry as it was a week ago and my lips are not nearly as dry as they were a week ago. I'm only using chap stick a couple times a day and my lips are not pealing. It seems weird that I'm not more dry than I currently am. I weigh 160 lbs., so I don't know if my dose of 20mg per day is too low. More than likely my dose will be raised in a couple weeks when I go back to the derm.

If anyone else is on a low dose of 20mg per day, when did you begin to see a decrease in oil.

Day 23

Still no noticeable decrease in oil production. I'm still getting new spots every day. The spots have been somewhat smaller than before I started accutane, but they seem to still stick around for ever. I was hoping that I would have seem more improvement at this stage. I go in for my bloodwork in a couple days. I wonder if the derm will increase my dosage next month to 30mg or 40mg per day.

Some people dont see any improvement till month 2 or 3. The red marks will stick around longer cuz your skin is more sensetive. Is your derm trying to do the low dose for a long period? Dont worry it will work give it time.

I'm not sure if my derm is going to keep me at the 20mg per day level the entire time. I have an appointment next week so I'll see what her plans are for me.

i m 165lbs i started on 20mgs a day for 20 days then 40mgs

i m going to start the last month of my course and still 40

how much is your maximun dose for your course?

mine 8600mgs

you have a very low dose so you will not start seeing results regarding your oiliness so drastically - with me it was different. I started immediately with 60mg (and i weigh 48kgs) so that makes it quite high! I'm still on Day 18 and am having quite a severe initial breakout (i think it corresponds to my relatively high dose), but my derm told me it will take at least 7 weeks to START seeing some results - but slowly.

You must look at it as long-term! The final outcome should be great (I heard)!

Also, while on Accutane your skin takes much longer to heal - and also your spots - so it will take them longer to go away - also you will get more spots especially when you start the course or when you increase the dosage!

Good luck!! Remember you are not alone - at least you are doing something about your condition!

Day 29

I went to the derm today for my one month checkup. My blood work was perfect so that was good news. I'm still continuing to break out and my face is still oily. My dosage has been bumped from 20mg per day to 40mg per day. Hopefully I will begin to see a reduction in oil soon while not experiencing new breakouts. I can't believe one month is over. Time as gone by rather quickly.

yeah time does fly - i have to go for my first blood work next monday - i'm kind of scared - hope it wont hurt much and i will get good results - do you get the results there and then?

since your dosage was bumped up you may experience a breakout, however i hope that does not happen for u - good luck!

Why i took my blood test before the course only

my derm said you don t have to take blood test anymore

it is perfect

Why i took my blood test before the course only

my derm said you don t have to take blood test anymore

it is perfect

yes i am! i think i will have to go back on Decutan cause RoAccutane is out of stock - they keep saying it will come in next week - but next week never comes! (u know how it is in Malta!)

Day 31

Today is my third day on 40mg. I'm continuing to break out. It seems like I'm getting at least one new spot each day. Today I got quite a big one next to my nose. Also, I have a few left over marks from my breakout a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that the 40mg will do the trick. I still haven't noticed a significant reduction in oil. My derm thought that during this month my face should become less oily. Well, I'm 20% done with this course. I hope the next few months go by quickly and the breakouts begin to diminish. I've been dealing with this for nearly 16 years and I just want it to stop.

Day 34

This is my 5th day on 40mg. It seems like since I started 40mg my face has broken out more. I have had two large spots come up in the last couple days and it seems like it is taking forever for older one to go away completely. Both spots are near my nose so they are very easily noticeable. My face is slightly less oily, but I was hoping it would be less oily at this stage of the game. Almost 5 weeks done. I hope I begin to see more improvement in the next couple weeks.

Day 35

I made a mistake yesterday in that today is my 7th day on 40mg. One of the spots by nose is much bigger. It is weird because the majority of my face is smoother and looks better except for the two large spots near my nose. There is not a big bump, but there is a pretty large red spot. If these two spots would go away I could honestly say that my face looks better than when I began accutane. I hope it gets better soon, because I'm tired of dealing with this.

Day 42

I have now competed 6 weeks. 4 weeks at 20mg per day and 2 weeks at 40mg per day. This past week has been one of the best weeks I've had in a long time with respect to my face. My face is becoming less oily, which is why I believe the breakouts have slowed down. I hope this trend continues and my face becomes even less oily in the upcoming weeks. The only side effect I've experienced is dry lips, but vaseline has helped keep it managebale.

Day 49

I can't believe it has been 7 weeks. My face broke out a little last week, but it is beginning to heal. It was strange, because I went nearly a week without any new major spots. I was hoping I was past the breakout stage, but I guess I have a little longer. I hope that over the next month the breakouts begin to significantly slow down. During the past week my face has become more dry around the corners of my mouth and under my nose. I'm not sure if it is because I have been outside more lately doing yard work and have showered a couple more times during the day than normal. Whatever is the case, I hope it begins to subside soon.

I have completed four weeks on 20mg per day and three weeks on 40 mg per day. I go back to the derm in a week so hopefully my blood work will still be good. I'm not sure if she is going to keep me at the same level or increase the dose. Besides the dryness around my mouth and nose, the only other side effect is dry lips. Some days my lips are fine and other days they are very dry. It is hard to figure out.

I'll provide another update at week 8.

Day 58

I have now completed 8 weeks. I went to the derm two days ago and she was pleased with my progress. My dose was bumped up to 60mg per day. I responded well to 40mg so I hope I have similar luck with 60mg. I had a slight breakout last week that is now healing. I also had one spot pop up below my lip that had been under my skin for the past week. I have some marks left from last week's breakout, but other than that new spots have not been coming up as frequently. My face has begun to become a little more dry and my lips are still pretty dry. I do not know how many months my derm plans on me taking accutane. I also hope that my dose does not go above 60mg.

I will provide another update in a week.