Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rwojo13

Gel not working!

Hi, my name's Rachael...I'm 23 and found Dan's Regimen about 2 years ago and had ample success. I had been on Accutane twice and was starting to feel the dreaded breakout coming up...Luckily, I found the regimen and was able to keep breakouts at bay.

My question is regarding the BP gel. As I mentioned, I've had a great deal of success with the Neutrogena On-the-Spot. I purchased two! tubes of the gel and, as I've noticed other people experience, broke out into cystic-like acne on my cheeks :-( So Question 1: Am I doing anything wrong? Should I suffer through it or give up?

and Question 2: Is there anyway gylcerol/glycol could be an irritant to some people? B/c I had a similar experience with the Proactiv and I notice there's glycerol in their products.

Anyhow just wondering what the consensus was on the people who actually experience breakouts from the gel. Should I just cut my losses and go back to OntheSpot? I noticed through the BP gel reviews, almost all the ratings are either 5 star or 1 star. Are any tests being done to revamp the formula?

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'd love nothign more than for this gel to actually work for me :-)

Thanks,

Rachael

Rachael,

I'm glad I came upon your post this morning. I, too, am having problems with Dan's BP gel. I've been on the regimen for two years also, and I didn't have any problems at all until I started using his product. It took me a while to make the connection, but I really believe it's the source. The method that initially got me 100% clear was Basis sensitive skin soap, Proactiv BP Gel, and Cetaphil lotion. The only thing I've changed since October was replacing Proactiv with Dan's BP gel to save some money. Since October, I've had on and off breakouts despite following the regimen to a tee. I don't know the difference in ingredients between Proactiv and Dan's gel, but something tells me that there's either an ingredient not in Proactiv that is in Dan's, or vice versa. Obviously, the glycol theory doesn't hold up for me since Proactiv works for me. In any event, I give up on Dan's product. I'm 35-years-old and have dealt with this for too long to continue experimenting. I'd rather pay more money and get guaranteed results. I'll let you know what happens. Good luck!

Mike

Hi, my name's Rachael...I'm 23 and found Dan's Regimen about 2 years ago and had ample success. I had been on Accutane twice and was starting to feel the dreaded breakout coming up...Luckily, I found the regimen and was able to keep breakouts at bay.

My question is regarding the BP gel. As I mentioned, I've had a great deal of success with the Neutrogena On-the-Spot. I purchased two! tubes of the gel and, as I've noticed other people experience, broke out into cystic-like acne on my cheeks :-( So Question 1: Am I doing anything wrong? Should I suffer through it or give up?

and Question 2: Is there anyway gylcerol/glycol could be an irritant to some people? B/c I had a similar experience with the Proactiv and I notice there's glycerol in their products.

Anyhow just wondering what the consensus was on the people who actually experience breakouts from the gel. Should I just cut my losses and go back to OntheSpot? I noticed through the BP gel reviews, almost all the ratings are either 5 star or 1 star. Are any tests being done to revamp the formula?

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'd love nothign more than for this gel to actually work for me :-)

Thanks,

Rachael

This is very interesting. I actually find the bp gel works better than on-the-spot. I'd like anyone else who has experienced "cystic" breakouts after trying bp gel to let me know what they were using previously, and what, if anything, they changed when moving over to bp gel.

I will also ask my manufacturer, who is the best in the country for this stuff, about what is going on. They are very careful to only use the best of everything, so I will post what they say here.

I just spoke to our manufacturer, who got me in touch with one of their more medical clients. This client is someone who helped develop Retin-A, and who worked for 3 years with one of the pioneers of benzoyl peroxide, so we're looking at a good source. I need to add this info in a couple of places so people are prepared for potential initial breakouts with bp gel.

Our gel, despite its inexpensive cost, is pharmaceutical grade, whereas many over-the-counter products are not. This is why our manufacturer was nearly twice as expensive as any of the other manufacturers I encountered when shopping around. This means that our benzoyl peroxide is triple milled down to a very fine size. The small molecules of benzoyl peroxide in bp gel are thus able to penetrate more deeply than other over-the-counter products which largely sit on the surface or penetrate less deeply.

So, when bp gel gets way down into the skin, is acts as a metabolic accelerator, bringing acne that is deep below the surface out. They told me to expect a 3-4 week curve when switching from regular benzoyl peroxide to pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide. During this time, some acne that is below the surface and destined to pop up sooner or later, is brought to the surface more quickly. Thus the initial breakout.

The good news, however, is that you should see bp gel, or any pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide, keep you clearer after this 3-4 week curve because it is not only treating acne that is closer to the surface, but also preventing acne that is deeper.

Nice post Dan, I've just switched to your BP Gel two days ago, no adverse reaction yet for myself but its good to know if I do breakout it will be just part of the process of getting clear in 3-4 weeks.

I actually found the product I previously used gave me cysts on my cheeks from time to time, generally from the drying nature of it I believe. The product is called Brevoxyl 4%.

I am hoping your BP Gel to solve this problem for me.

Beama

Previous to starting BP Gel, I had been using Oxy-on-the-spot for a year, give or take. I was about 99% clear with red marks nearly all faded. When I switched to BP gel, it was as though my skin was experiencing BP for the first time again and it burned and turned my face red. My skin soon got used to it and calmed down (it also helped that this was during summer when there was the sun to help things along).

Of course, as I was mostly clear, I became complacent with the regimen and when the weather turned cold last year all sorts of horrible things began happening to my skin. I had to ramp up the amount of BP gel I used and it took about 2 months to get this latest breakout under control. Now the acne is under control (I don't have a single active spot on my face), and my skin has been upgraded from dry and crusty to just dry. I have dark red lumpy marks left over but at least I'm no longer in pain smile.gif and these will heal.

Not exactly the same experience you had but just worth noting that, for some people, just changing a part of the regimen can mean starting from scratch.

Thanks,

Rachael

Well, I have no advice for anyone as my skin has just gotten worse and worse!! eusa_boohoo.gif I reverted back to the trusty ol' regimen, and for some reason that's not working now either :-( (maybe cuz I tried AHA lotion too?)

So, I'm going to try an experiment. I really don't feel like suffering through the 3-4 week curve for the "pharmaceutical-grade" BP in the gel, yet I want something that works most efficiently: SO, I'm trying the standard regimen w/ On-the-Spot in the PM (so I can slather it on and be as white and pasty as I want) and Dan's gel in the AM ...w/ the hopes that the non-pharmaceutical grade BP will help kill the zits coming on? Then eventually I'll work myself onto the BP gel all the time (esp now b/c I have two tubes of it!)

If anyone else is having problems w/ the BP gel and wants to know how the experiment goes, please let me know. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

This is what I'll be wearing till then: ninja.gif

Rachael

I initially started the regimen with the Neutrogena on the spot BP, (along w/ Purpose Bar and Eucerin Moisturizer) and used that for a little over a week. I noticed a huge improved right away, so I sent away for Dan's BP gel. Upon switching to the gel, I noticed that it does apply much more easily and smoothly, but after a week or so my face started breaking out fairly badly, with 2 or 3 cysts popping up around my cheeks.

So I'm on week 4 (3 weeks 4 days, to be exact biggrin.gif ) of using Dan's gel and my face is finally calming down much more like it was in the beginning. Like Dan said, I guess it takes about 3-4 weeks for the pharmeucitical type gel to start showing good results if you started with the Neutrogena BP medication, at least for me anyways.

I only have one active whitehead right now that I'm trying to keep my hands away from eusa_naughty.gif , and some remaining red marks that I cover up with MAC Studio Concealer. For any guys out there looking for a natural make-up, MAC Concealer is awesome and looks very natural for simply concealing red spots.

I prefer Dan's gel over on the spot, but I have to agree...there is something about proactiv bp that sets it apart from the others...I can use a very little amount of it to get the same results as I do from a lot of Dan's gel.

But what could it be? I'm sure Dan is aware of everything that is in the proactiv bp, so Im not sure.....

Any 2.5% bp should work about the same, so long as it doesn't contain alcohol which can irritate and overdry. If you find that one is working better than another it is most likely coincidence. Or, as I have stated here, bp gel is pharmaceutical grade, so it gets in the skin more deeply. For a few people this means an initial breakout, but should result in clearer skin in the long run.