Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darklord

Sunflower seeds...

I have been eating about 4-5 handfuls of sunflower seeds aday and it has been breaking me out in places i never get spots. Its terrible. So beware they are problematic in large amounts.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tom

It's probably the large amounts of fat you suddenly added since seeds are high in fat. Your body(liver) might not be able to cope with all of it. I used to have the same problem before.

What do you mean by "sunflower seeds" Are they shelled or unshelled? Are they roasted or unroasted? If so, what oil is being used? If seasoned/flavored what ingredients are there that could give you problems?

I no longer eat flavored/seasons sunflower seeds as they always contained something I couldn't eat such as sugar, peanut oil or hydrogenated oils.

I can tolerate regular shelled with salt, raw, and roasted with salt. I just make sure that the roasted is cooked in sunflower seed oil. Although this last time I purchased a bag (didn't have the other brand), the label had that it could have been cooked with sunflower, canola, and/or soybean oil.

I don't know if roasted with added oils are a problem for me as that is something new I've added around the same time that I started taking MSM (heard it can break you out a bit). I can say though that I recently discovered what foods were goitrogenic and canola oil/rapeseed and soybean oil/soybeans are on the list (can make some hypothryoid & can increase/cause acne). Yet I've increased my intake of unshelled sunflower seeds for over a year now and have never broken out from them.

So, what places are you breaking out now that you weren't before?

Sunflower seeds are really high in Omega-6, which is pro-inflammatory. That ain't gonna help.

Try switching to pumpkin seeds. They are high in lots of mineral (like zinc) and vits, and have lots of omega-3 which is anti-inflammatory.

Pine kernels are also good, but seem to be more expensive.

Sunflower seeds are really high in Omega-6, which is pro-inflammatory. That ain't gonna help.

Try switching to pumpkin seeds. They are high in lots of mineral (like zinc) and vits, and have lots of omega-3 which is anti-inflammatory.

Pine kernels are also good, but seem to be more expensive.

About NUTS:

Stopped eating anything with peanuts. Noticed a big improvemet. Less oily skin and less cystic breakouts. Now I have heard all nuts are not created equal, but since I figured it out about the Peanuts, we have elimated pretty any kind of nut.

Thanks for the info guys, Sweetjade i have been eating hulled, unroasted, unsalted and unflavoured/seasoned sunflower seeds so i dont know where the problem is arrising from. Maybe i am eating too many and like steve said they contain alot of fat so.

I have been breaking out by my side burns and i never get any there until i upped my intake of seeds.

Wolfkeeper, thats interesting because i thought that all omega 3, 6 and 9 were all anti inflammatory.

I have stopped them now anyway, so i will see if i clear up.

Tom

About NUTS:

Stopped eating anything with peanuts.  Noticed a big improvemet. Less oily skin and less cystic breakouts.  Now I have heard all nuts are not created equal, but since I figured it out about the Peanuts, we have elimated pretty any kind of nut.

I had experimented with not eating peanuts to see if it helped clear my skin... it did but the past two days i had been getting a few more pimples....but i didn't realize soybeans are on the list of no no foods..and i had some of those a few days ago...now i just ate a bunch of peanuts thinking maybe there was no link! eusa_doh.gif im sooooo upset now sad.gif

I had experimented with not eating peanuts to see if it helped clear my skin... it did but the past two days i had been getting a few more pimples....but i didn't realize soybeans are on the list of no no foods..and i had some of those a few days ago...now i just ate a bunch of peanuts thinking maybe there was no link!  eusa_doh.gif  im sooooo upset now sad.gif

Wolfkeeper hit it right on the money. Acne-sufferers tend to have omega-3 deficiencies and excess omega-6 diets. Dietary factors alone rarely account causally for acne but are often significant factors, and clearly are in the case of your particular experience. Eat more omega-3-rich salmon, trout, cod, mackerel and tuna and/or have 1-2 tblspoons daily of flaxseed oil, either drink it straight or dress on a salad. Within 1-2 weeks you will begin seeing the improvement on your skin. This is because omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs) like flaxseed and those in cold-water fish contain GLA, ARA, ALA, DHA and EPA, all chemicals which your body uses to synthesize prostaglandins-- hormone regulators. These help to keep your hormones in balance, with obvious benefits for acne.

WOW!!! I too have been eating A LOT of sunflower seeds -- at least 4-5 handfuls a day. Probably more. I am doing candida cleanse and it's one of the things my naturopath said I could eat. I actually have been breaking out quite a bit - more so that usual. I figured it was die off (which it might be)... but, now I am suspicious. I am going to stop eating them for a while. Shit - what can we eat instead? Suggestions for non-inflamatory mid-meal snacks? Humus with cucumbers, almonds.. what else?

WOW!!! I too have been eating A LOT of sunflower seeds -- at least 4-5 handfuls a day. Probably more. I am doing candida cleanse and it's one of the things my naturopath said I could eat. I actually have been breaking out quite a bit - more so that usual. I figured it was die off (which it might be)... but, now I am suspicious. I am going to stop eating them for a while. Shit - what can we eat instead? Suggestions for non-inflamatory mid-meal snacks? Humus with cucumbers, almonds.. what else?

Pine nut kernels -- good call! I never would have thought of that. By the way, I just looked up sunflower seeds in Dr. Perricone's book and on page 55, he cites sunflower seeds as a "good for acne" / anti-inflamatory food. However, I suspect that the problem is the QUANTITY I've been eating. I also love pumpkin seeds so I'll start eating those along w/ pine nuts. Thank you!

Pine nut kernels -- good call! I never would have thought of that. By the way, I just looked up sunflower seeds in Dr. Perricone's book and on page 55, he cites sunflower seeds as a "good for acne" / anti-inflamatory food. However, I suspect that the problem is the QUANTITY I've been eating. I also love pumpkin seeds so I'll start eating those along w/ pine nuts. Thank you!

Interesting site. Hmm... hard to find anything with more Omega 3 than 6. Flax seeds seem to be the only one. I have also been eating a lot of walnuts which seem to be mostly Omega 6 also. Flaxseeds are good. I keep them in my freezer but ( in my opinion), they are not a great snack... hard to just eat a handful of flax seeds. However, they are super filling.

The richest sources of omega-3 EFAs on the planet are flaxseed oil, borage oil and evening primrose oil.

The Total EFA by HFS contains all three oils, and is available more cheaply than anywhere on the internet or in stores at http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sun/efa.html and Udo's Choice Ultimate Essential Oil Formula available in all good health stores.

The Toal EFA in particular really helped my acne and gave me so much energy and vitality as well. I put a tablespoon in each protein shake of the 2 I take per day around workouts. You can alternatively drink it straight (not too palatable, but a rich nutty taste some enjoy) or use it as a dressing on your salads.

Some have also reported great benefits applying it topically on the face as a 30-minute mask once a week. Extremely rejuvenating and age-defying, ideal for 25+ women, and may vary in its effect on acne. Worth a try topically and definitely benefits you orally.

The richest sources of omega-3 EFAs on the planet are flaxseed oil, borage oil and evening primrose oil.

The Total EFA by HFS contains all three oils, and is available more cheaply than anywhere on the internet or in stores at http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sun/efa.html and Udo's Choice Ultimate Essential Oil Formula available in all good health stores.

The Toal EFA in particular really helped my acne and gave me so much energy and vitality as well. I put a tablespoon in each protein shake of the 2 I take per day around workouts. You can alternatively drink it straight (not too palatable, but a rich nutty taste some enjoy) or use it as a dressing on your salads.

Some have also reported great benefits applying it topically on the face as a 30-minute mask once a week. Extremely rejuvenating and age-defying, ideal for 25+ women, and may vary in its effect on acne. Worth a try topically and definitely benefits you orally.

So I've been searching the forum to see if anyone else has had any experience with sunflower seeds and acne, and I found this thread. I have been experiencing the same thing! I've been eating a lot of sunflower seeds each day (the only thing I'm eating that's different) and I've noticed my skin getting worse...