Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
syng

baking soda? St Ives Apricot scrub?

alot of poeple here seems to use "scrubs" or "baking soda"

does it actually make acne worse/better? etc

is it necesarry?

well, both of them are use for exfoliation, for me the scrubs are irritating (but i do like the st ives medical one) and the baking soda is cheaper and actually can help a lot better than the normal scrubs does.

I don't think scrubs have ever made my acne look better. But from using products (esp BP) I find an exfoliant necesary to remove horrible dry skin and flakes. I used to swear by St. Ives, I like the regular, sensitive found until I discovered Baking Soda. Its much finer, so it doesnt aggravate active acne, plus i read alot about scrubs being horrible for acne prone skin, and BS is suggested as an alternative. Plus its so cheap and lasts forever!

It depends on your acne. If you have a lot of painful and severe acne, then a scrub (i.e. stives) wouldn't be a good choice. B. Soda is more gentle, but can potentially irritate you and dry you out. I mix it with a gentle cleanser once every day.

I use the St.Ives scrub 1-2 times per week. I really like my results with it.

Some people say its too rough for the skin, but you can easily dilute it with some water, and just gently rub it into your skin.

I seem to be getting good results by exfoliating with St Ives Medicated Scrub twice a day.

I know! Extremely overkill, I must have the strongest skin ever or something. confused.gif

I seem to be getting good results by exfoliating with St Ives Medicated Scrub twice a day. 

I know!  Extremely overkill, I must have the strongest skin ever or something.  confused.gif

I think the measurements are 5 tspn Baking Soda with 1 tspn of water. I never measure though. Just put the Baking Soda in a bowl and add water until you get a paste-like consistency. Add water slowly and mix. Don't let it get too runny.

You may also want to mix water with apple cider vinegar to balance the pH of your skin. Read delna's post on this for the details. It works great for me and seems to be working well for many others also.

yep, 1:8 (vinegar:water) ...but i use 1:10 (vinegar:water) to start off, its safer...

after a few months, u are suppose to finally increase it to 1:1 (I THINK)

(1) do you guys mix your "baking soda" with "cleanser" at the same time?

or (2) u "cleanse", "washoff", then only put "baking soda", then "washoff"?

does washing many times irritate the skin?

I use esfoliant (Ionax) twice a week and its likely to put off the flakes, the skin feels softer after it... I just have to be careful not to overdry it.

Whats is Baking Soda your taking about???Is it a medical product? biggrin.gif ? Where can i get it? wink.gif

I mix B. Soda with my non-medicated cleanser once a day. Works just fine.

I have tried mixing it with my medicated 2% SA cleanser.....yikes! Wasn't a good idea!

u can get baking soda almost anywhere, you mix it with water ( just a couple of drops) and make a paste it works really well, but i like more the st ives exfoliator ( medical one) its the best one.