Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beama

Should I take Accutnae?

Hey

I am 25 years old and have had acne since I can remember, probably since I was about 12-13. I have taken Accutane several times in the past with good results and have been off it for 2 and a half years, during this time I have tried B5(worked awesome to start with then I became immune) and the regimen which has worked reasonably but I still breakout regularly, including hard cysts on my cheeks.

What I want to know is should I take Accutane again? I am pretty sure it will help clear my skin but I am afraid of the drying of my skin and the side effects.

Also I have a big week coming up in 3 weeks time beginning on the 29th March for 4 days when I take over a new business, I will be meeting lots of people during this time and I want my skin to look good and in turn my confidence to be high. Would Accutane work in 3 weeks and give me clear skin? Or maybe I should continue with the regimen until after I take over the business then start Accutane.

I know I will have to take Accutane again soon as my skin is breaking out so often these days.

Any help would be great.

Beama

Hey, I know this will probably be the last thing you want to hear, but I guess I'll say it anyway.

In the end the decision is up to you. It is a risk, and you have to weigh up whether clear skin will be better than the risk. You say you've taken it several times before, how many exactly and at what dose? Some studies point out that long term clearing is associated with a total cumulative dose greater than ~120mg/kg, and this is the rule most derms stick by from what I've seen.

I doubt you will see clearing in 3 weeks. I'm 5.5 weeks in at the moment and am still recovering from the initial breakout. At 3 weeks you will probably be just starting to experience your initial breakout, or be in the middle of it.

Hey

I am 25 years old and have had acne since I can remember, probably since I was about 12-13.  I have taken Accutane several times in the past with good results and have been off it for 2 and a half years, during this time I have tried B5(worked awesome to start with then I became immune) and the regimen which has worked reasonably but I still breakout regularly, including hard cysts on my cheeks.

What I want to know is should I take Accutane again?  I am pretty sure it will help clear my skin but I am afraid of the drying of my skin and the side effects.

Also I have a big week coming up in 3 weeks time beginning on the 29th March for 4 days when I take over a new business, I will be meeting lots of people during this time and I want my skin to look good and in turn my confidence to be high.  Would Accutane work in 3 weeks and give me clear skin?  Or maybe I should continue with the regimen until after I take over the business then start Accutane.

I know I will have to take Accutane again soon as my skin is breaking out so often these days.

Any help would be great.

Beama