Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gonzogirl

Afraid to have children because of my acne

I don't know if anyone else has felt this way, but I am a little afraid to have kids because of the possibility that I could pass acne on to my children.

I'm not 100% sure that acne is hereditary, but it just scares me to think that it could be. Although I would not love my child any less if they developed it, I know how cruel other people can be from experience. Knowing how hard it can be to live with acne, I would never want to put someone else through what I've been through. Especially not my own child!

On the other hand, I feel like I want to be a mother someday, and acne is probably a silly reason to avoid motherhood. Also, I don't have much more time to think about it, since I am almost 30!

Does anyone else have these feelings, or am I a nutcase? eusa_think.gif

well my dad had acne when he was young, i have it, my sister had it (doesnt that bit sound like star wars)..so who knows gentics, maybe

Guest Shjaker

Even though Im only 16 [almost] I've thought the exact same thing!! sad.gif

But how pathetic would that be. Acne stops us from doing so much, we shouldnt let it stop us from going through one of the most amazing experiences in life, having kids!

I think at the first sign of acne in my kids I'll just hop on it and start treating it right then adn there. Not let it escalate to what mine's turned into.

I wish my parents hadof done that for me.

Don't be silly. Acne is hereditary, but that's no reason not to have kids. It's not a for sure thing they will have it, it will most likely only be for a short time in their life, and you'll know exactly how to help them through it. I mean, my dad passed cancer onto me, and I beat it. I still plan on having kids one day.

P.S. cancer sucks.

I have to admit that the thought of me passing acne onto my child is just another reason that I dont wanna have kids. It would be so hard to watch them grow up and suddenly get hit with acne.

I don't know if anyone else has felt this way, but I am a little afraid to have kids because of the possibility that I could pass acne on to my children.

I'm not 100% sure that acne is hereditary, but it just scares me to think that it could be.  Although I would not love my child any less if they developed it, I know how cruel other people can be from experience.  Knowing how hard it can be to live with acne, I would never want to put someone else through what I've been through.  Especially not my own child! 

On the other hand, I feel like I want to be a mother someday, and acne is probably a silly reason to avoid motherhood.  Also, I don't have much more time to think about it, since I am almost 30!

Does anyone else have these feelings, or am I a nutcase?  eusa_think.gif

being short is herediatary too.. you think kids wanna be short? will it stop short people from having kids? NO.. don;t be silly.. its ACNE .. don't not have kids because of it.. then you would have truly lost your life to ACNE

I worry about it too, but there are no certainties that your children would inherit it . It would stink to miss out on all the great things b/c of a maybe. I have a 19 mo. and when he spontaneously hugs and kisses me it is the greatest thing in the world.

If he does develop acne then at least I'll know to take him to the doc right away and not treat it like it is no big deal like my parents did.

Guest Keeley

Well, Im the odd ball that has acne in my family (i.e. no one else has it lol!), At least ... in the future when I become a mum... I know how to deal with acne if my kids get it! wink.gif

It can be hereditary.Both of my parents had bad acne.They still have adult acne,but it is nothing with what they had.I can see their scars.I'm the oldest out of three kids.I had to be the lucky one to get bad acne.My brother and sister only have a few pimples.No blackheads,no whiteheads,less pimples.My face feels like sandpaper.

But look,I understand that you don't want to pass your acne to your kids.And we know how terrible it is.If you really want a child,you could still consider it!Plus,if your kid has acne,he or she would have understanding parents.One thing that makes acne worse is parents who dont understand(mine had it pretty bad,but they don't understand either.

Look,people have many different little defects.After all,we're not perfect.Chances are you'll pass on more than your acne.Hey,I got a bunch of things I about myself that got passed on to me from my family.

I know people can be cruel to acne sufferers,but if my parents would have understood more,I would have really been much happier.

Even if they do get it by then time they are teens there will probably be a "cure" for acne other than accutane so keep your fingers crossed and have kids.

well neither of my parents ever had it and both me and my brother had it though we both have it very differently

Even if they do get it by then time they are teens there will probably be a "cure" for acne other than accutane so keep your fingers crossed and have kids.

first off, i don't beleive diet effects acne at all from personal experience. Secondly, who the hell would sacrifice all the good taste..... omg no refined sugars or dairy, or anythings besides greens and very lean meat? Wow... hats off to you.

first off, i don't beleive diet effects acne at all from personal experience. Secondly, who the hell would sacrifice all the good taste..... omg no refined sugars or dairy, or anythings besides greens and very lean meat? Wow... hats off to you.

Hello Gonzo girl,

I am about your age and pregnant. My acne has been a struggle for me for about 10yrs now. I got pregnant and to my amazement my acne hasn't become worse from the hormones, so that is a plus. I am the only person in my immediate family who struggles with this too. My family are all very good looking people, and honestly I don't think they would be able to deal with it like I do. Apparently god believes I can handle this to build character????? But I am fortunate my family and friends love me for me and tell me it is not as bad as I think. Now, I am fat and pregnant so I don't think about my face as much, and it has cleared it up some eusa_think.gif On the bum side of it, I tried to talk to my bf and he is kind of a jerk and tells me he wants nothing to do with my pity party, I worry too much so I can cry alone and feel sorry for myself. He isn't worried about passing it to our baby. I am hoping I will grow out of it soon! But look at the bright side bc our skin is oily we won't have deep wrinkles and we will be good looking seniors lol. Best looking at Bingo! good luck all red biggrin.gif

I'm defintely feeling the same way...but if I do have children...I gonna try my best to perserve there skin...that was the problem with me...I did'nt know I Was gonna get acne especially not this bad...I'm definetly gonna tell my kids that when they hit puberty most likely their gonna breakout....but their are ways of preventing it from gettting real bad...like for example scarring..

I did'nt realize what was happening to my skin...plus I was'nt told that both my parents had it when they were young, since I basically know everything about skin since I had to go through this ordeal...I could probably prevent my kids skin from becoming like mines...my parents was'nt really educated in that area...they just believe it would eventually get better...My acne has become worse now I'm taking accutane, I just wish I would of taken it earlier and it would of prevented some of the scars I have now...my mother refuse to let me take it sad.gif But hey I do feel confident If I have kids that, I'm gonna be crazy wacko.gif when it comes to their skin, I dont want them to go through the same thing I went through, or I just wonty have any

I feel that having children is the single worst act someone can do. I can say that even though I love my parents. I just wish they'd never decided to have me. Every day I just think about ending it all. I'm here now, just wishing that if I never was, then all that I feel would go away.

I'd never inflict this upon anyone. I'm trapped in an invisible prison, bound by my self-sworn duty to never do anything to hurt my family, so I can't even bring about blissful oblivion.

Well.......I never really though about avoiding motherhood, but it definitely worries me when I think about it.

If my kid(s) have it....I will totally feel their pain. I'll be doing everything possible for them.

I guess in a way thats good, cuz my parents have no freakin clue how badly my skin has messed me up.

Honestly, I'll actually cry if my kids get more than 5 zits on their face at one time.

I used to feel the same way, but I don't anymore. Although for more vain reasons I think about not having more than 1 child, I'll adopt the rest but whether I have 1 or more than, I know that I can help them control their acne. If they don't get the "good" genes from their daddy, I know that I can help them control it, wait better yet prevent it, through diet. Until I discovered how powerful the right dietary changes can be, I honestly was afraid of passing my genes on to my kids. I've been suffering with this since I was 10 and my father still gets some breakouts (eats foods that I avoid) and occassionally my mother does to (only when she eats too much chocolate candy). In fact I believe that my brother, he's 37 now may still have breakouts as well.

My whole family has had acne and I inherited my mothers pattern of it when she was younger only mine was worse (face, body, neck, arms, scalp, ear, butt, armpits, etc etc) and now I'm 99%+ clear through my diet. No medications, topical or oral, ever gave that to me! Thankfully it's because I was able to figure what was wrong (Insulin Resistance....it's supposed to be asymptomatic) and even then I thought the appropriate medication would be enough (LOL), but it was ultimately my diet that allowed me to take control over this condition, as well as a few other symptoms I was experiencing. I can suggest a myriad of the right antiandrogenic, anti-proliferative, anti-inflammatory, etc treatments for women, and some men, to use but if one's diet has greater control overtheir hormones than their genes, those medications won't be effective enough. Besides when a woman is pregnant she can't be on most of them, except possibly avandia and so she may very well breakout even worse (other's temporarily clear right up). Either way, if any of you females and males feel that this is going to be a long term journey for you, definately try visiting an Endocrinologist to see if you may have an underlying hormonal or health problem that is causing your acne.

Hope everyone finds their answer