Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have read this board for quite a while, and I have seen some really interesting and crazy methods of keeping skin clear. Including restricting a vitamin, like iodine, from your body...your body needs this vitamin. Or leaving out sugar from your diet. Or dairy (I am a vegan, so in a way that is good). Yet I see many many people who have no acne problems, eat these things and so much more.

I have been on accutane about 2 years ago. For some people it kicks out acne for good, but for most people I know (including me) it came back. I totally decided I would never take that pill again because it made my skin incredibly fragile, and I stopped healing well. So pimples that were coming in did not even heal properly! Well I am here, to share with you, what I do. It takes a lot of patience, a lot of discipline, a lot of question asking, "Why am I so crazy, and doing this?"

First I wash my face at night with sugar. Yes, with about half a cup of regular, white sugar. Where did I get this crazy idea? From a gypsy book! I was desperate. It even worked for me before accutane, but I was too lazy to wash my whole body with it. Not to mention I kept forgetting to take the cup I used from inside the shower, and yup, ANTS. Now I wash every night, with half a cup of sugar, I rub GENTLY, especially when I was breaking out. Then it will dissolve, this is ok though. Even if you wear make-up (which I do), still rub gently. I asked a nutritionist and a dermatologist why this would work, and all they can say is the exfoliation helps. Well it does work. It makes your face a little dry and stiff, and controls your oil production, for me my forehead was GREASY, now it never is.

After that I squeeze a fresh piece of lemon over a cotton ball and rub gently on my face. It will burn, sting, and may even itch for about 1-2 minutes. I thought I was having an allergic reaction, but this is normal, expecially if you have pimples. Do this about 20 minutes after washing.

If you have a cluster of aggravating pimples, or a cyst take a piece of garlic, cut it, and rub the wet part on it. It will help a lot. It might burn a little and make that piece of skin feel stiff.

In the morning, I wash with cetaphil, just to keep my face moisturized. I am sure you can wash with water, yet I have never done this.

INTERNALLY

I drink 6 glasses of warmed water with about a tablespoon of lemon juice everyday, and about 4 glasses of cold water in addition. They say the lemon water regulates pH levels for your skin, I do not know. It helps though.

I take b5, 550 mg, and 400 IU's of vitamin E. Plus a multivitamin. If you have looked at these boards, B5 is no stranger to you.

I try to eat at least a clove or 2 of garlic a day. This is hard. Sometimes a chew it raw, and sometimes I put it in food. The raw part burns your mouth, but you feel oddly refreshed afterwards. This is to cleanse the blood.

In any case, this is what I do. It has worked very well for me, and I know B5 works wonders, and garlic and lemons work great for most people that used them. The sugar...well everyone tries to avoid it, except me. I would also recommend using the egg face mask, I have never used it, because I am a vegan, but others have had great success with it. These are cheap methods. They aren't harmful, so why not try it? If you have any question post or email me, if you have criticisms, and they are valid, then tell me, but if they are dumb, then do me a favor and do not waste my time. This "regimen" takes time, patience, and discipline. Most of all patience.

I use baking soda mixed with some water as an exfoliating scrub but if sugar works for you that's great. I'll stick with soda though, I imagine sugar would be sticky and it dissolves rather quickly.

I use baking soda mixed with some water as an exfoliating scrub but if sugar works for you that's great. I'll stick with soda though, I imagine sugar would be sticky and it dissolves rather quickly.

A good way to eat raw garlic is to make a salad dressing with it. I usually just do flax oil, balsamic vinegar, tamari, chopped garlic and herbs, but there are endless possibilities. If you like a creamy dressing, you can use some tahini or silken tofu. This is much easier than chomping a whole clove, and it helps motivate you to eat a daily salad, which you definitely should do! smile.gif

First I wash my face at night with sugar.  Yes, with about half a cup of regular, white sugar.  Where did I get this crazy idea?  From a gypsy book!  I was desperate.  It even worked for me before accutane, but I was too lazy to wash my whole body with it.  Not to mention I kept forgetting to take the cup I used from inside the shower, and yup, ANTS.  Now I wash every night, with half a cup of sugar, I rub GENTLY, especially when I was breaking out. Then it will dissolve, this is ok though.  Even if you wear make-up (which I do), still rub gently.  I asked a nutritionist and a dermatologist why this would work, and all they can say is the exfoliation helps.

Yes, hadn't thought of that.

But sugar is also pretty antibacterial, it kills bacteria via osmosis, it sucks the water out of them and they die. Dunno whether it can penetrate pores though. It might change the skin flora in favourable ways too. AFAIK, P.Acnes eats fatty acids mostly.

Another good idea. Soap is alkaline, but skin works best when it is acid...

I'm impressed so far.

Yup. I do that. It really works. There is a BIG gotcha though- some people get burns, as in scars from garlic. My skin can handle it, but test it out behind your ear or something first. And never, ever leave garlic on the skin (I don't wash the juice off till the next morning, but the flesh probably shouldn't be left on, but YMMV on the juice.)

You drink lemonade? Ok...

I don't think the B5 works, the research was equivocal IRC. But a multivitamin is good, but avoid using anywhere near 100% vitamin A (retinyl parmitate) or above at all costs.

It's a *great* decongestant, but it's hard on the liver.

You seem to know a lot!  I cannot prove the other strange things in the regimen that I do, such as the lemon juice with water.  And I was thinking that today, SO I really AM drinking lemonade.  I do not know if it regulates pH levels in the skin, that is what I heard.

I would expect that just eating an orange or some kind of citrus fruit would have a similar effect, but I don't really know. It might even be better for you to do that, the skin and stuff in fruit has bioflavonoids in it which you normally lose when you juice it.

On the sugar front it might be interesting to compare the sugar scrub with a salt scrub and also see whether different grinds of sugar are better or worse. Interestingly sugar has been applied directly to wounds it really is a pretty good antibiotic. So's honey, but I wouldn't recommend you use that, there's botulism spores in honey(!) and there's a theoretical chance of getting poisoned, but AFAIK that has never happened via the skin, it's not worth the risk. Eating it's fine though, your stomach kills them off (provided you're above 2 years old... :-( )

I drink 6 glasses of warmed water with about a tablespoon of lemon juice everyday, and about 4 glasses of cold water in addition.  They say the lemon water regulates pH levels for your skin, I do not know.  It helps though.