Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondegirl21

Starting Accutane- Tips please..like when to take

I was wondering how accutane can be best absorbed, or if you should take it on an empty stomach. Also, what vitamins are good to take along with it? Im currently taking burdock root, dandelion root, milk thistle, garlic extract, zinc, evening primrose, acidopholus. Are these ok to continue taking with it? I *know* you cant take supplements that contain vit a...but are there any other rules? Thanks for the help smile.gif

your derm must be an amateur if he didn't tell you any of this and prescribed the drug... take accutane with food, fatty food if possible. If you can't take it with food, just take it with whole milk. Its best taken at equal intervals throughout the day, for example if you take 2 pills, one at 6 in the morning, one at 6 at night. some people take vitamin E with accutane to provide their skin with oil. Also get a good moisturizer, and always wear a moisturizer/sunblock in the sun. Get some lip balm, aquaphor is a favorite. Good luck with accutane.

Take Accutane with something fatty (just a glass of whole milk will suffice) because it is a synthetic form of Vitamin-A and Vitamin A absorbs better with fat. I usually take it during lunchtime because that is when I eat the major meal of my day. (Completely unrelated but, girls, you ever notice how men like to eat big dinners and try to make you gain weight by forcing you to join in because it’s supposedly “romantic?�)

All of the supplements and vitamins you are taking are okay to continue with. I’ve been taking nearly every one that you mentioned (except Burdock Root) for months now in combination with my Accutane treatment. The only thing I would add is Vitamin C since it helps your body absorb other minerals (and might even add in clearing up hyperpigmentation). The only other advice I can offer in this regard is that certain supplements contain Vitamin A, even though they don’t say so on the label. I’ve always been a big fan of Echinacea and Goldenseal but the health food counter guy showed me a print-out saying that it contains Vitamin A.

Other rules….drink a lot of water. The side effects of Accutane are almost identical to the side effects of dehydration: dry skin, chapped lips, head aches, insomnia, exhaustion: and drinking water helps to alleviate a lot of these symptoms.

Great luck with your treatment!!!

Take Accutane with something fatty (just a glass of whole milk will suffice) because it is a synthetic form of Vitamin-A and Vitamin A absorbs better with fat.  I usually take it during lunchtime because that is when I eat the major meal of my day.  (Completely unrelated but, girls, you ever notice how men like to eat big dinners and try to make you gain weight by forcing you to join in because it’s supposedly “romantic?â€?)

All of the supplements and vitamins you are taking are okay to continue with.  I’ve been taking nearly every one that you mentioned (except Burdock Root) for months now in combination with my Accutane treatment.  The only thing I would add is Vitamin C since it helps your body absorb other minerals (and might even add in clearing up hyperpigmentation).  The only other advice I can offer in this regard is that certain supplements contain Vitamin A, even though they don’t say so on the label.  I’ve always been a big fan of Echinacea and Goldenseal but the health food counter guy showed me a print-out saying that it contains Vitamin A.

Other rules….drink a lot of water.  The side effects of Accutane are almost identical to the side effects of dehydration: dry skin, chapped lips, head aches, insomnia, exhaustion: and drinking water helps to alleviate a lot of these symptoms. 

Great luck with your treatment!!!

ok, thanks! Ive actually been on it before I know all about its effects, the main thing I wanted to know about is what foods to take with it, and what vits to take with it so youve pretty much answered all my ?'s thanks