Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArcticMonkey

Dermabrasion........

Up until about a couple of months ago, when dermabrasion was all the rage on this board, no one really had a bad word to say about it, and everyone was scheduling appointments with Dr Yarborough to have it done. Although now that the majority of the people who have had dermabrasion have had a a couple or more months to heal, it would appear that the results from the dermabrasion are certainly nothing to write home about, Which is a bit of a let down, i know this procedure is by far a miricle cure for scars, and realistically speaking i am only looking for about a 30-40% improvement in my scarring, although it would seem that even that is asking to much, and some people have only reported having had a 10-15% improvement.

So i am starting to ask myself......Is this procedure really worth the time/money/and dare i say......heart ache???

Miss Shady and all others who are planning a dermabrasion,

I know this must be a very stressful experience waiting for this. I suppose in some ways I was lucky to be one of the first on this board, because I had never heard of any posters' less-than-great experiences with Dr. Y. I only heard stories about how great he was and how much he had helped people. And, crucially I think, the only people I had spoken to about this were people who had had this procedure more than six months previous.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been tremendously pleased with this procedure. I was not expecting miracles (I'm a bit too old and experienced to be that hopeful), but improvement. And that is what I've got. I can't put a percentage on it, but I am very pleased with the outcome of my first dermabrasion. I am a FIRM believer that you cannot judge the outcome until at least 6 months out--both initial baby-butt-smooth skin and initial rough, red, still-indented skin are both highly misleading. Neither is the final outcome. I also believe that what you find yourself with at 6 months is probably going to be more pleasing to most than at any other point after say about 1 month, for most people anyway.

I am also now convinced, after my own experiences and after following with some concern others', that the biggest thing to contend with when heading into and recovering from this procedure is psychological. Even to be considering a dermabrasion in the first place, let alone travelling to get one, as most of us are, means that your skin is a big disatisfaction in your life. Then the agony of waiting for an appointment that is probably at least months away and all of the arrangements are an added stress. On top of that, if you're like me and you don't want to broadcast to the world what you are doing, you need to take precautions to be somewhat secretive about it. Dr. Y and Cassandra will immediately put you at ease (this I can almost promise), but aside from that the procedure is a big deal--it will exhaust you, physically and emotionally, and that alone is taxing. Travel home for most of us will be stressfull (no one wants to look like the Mummy who just boarded the plane and makes everyone either stare or look away awkwardly). Next, the hardest part in my opinion, is the next several months of recovery. Being cooped up for a week or two is already really tough, and then most of us will be obsessivley checking our skin for signs of improvement or regress. I will say that finding a good make-up was essential to me because the redness will get to you, and it will wear on you, and at times it will feel like it will never go away. And, importantly, it will affect your perception of your indents. Once I toned down the redness, I could really gauge my improvement.

Honestly, I think all of that, far more than the physical, is going to be the reall test. You know, we all take such pains to be prepared for how to care for our skin after the procedure--the vaseline, the shaving foam, the tha gauze, the sunscreen, the medicine, the amino-plex, etc.... All of that is crucial, but your skin is in healing mode and its going to do what it was designed to do--heal (you can help it along with these products). I think we should all give more thought to your psychological/emotional state after the fact. Dr. Y tells us all this, as have those who have already been through it, but I'm not sure people are actually able to internalize this message, but you should prepare for times when you feel bad, when you don't see improvement, when it looks like improvement you thought you had is receding, etc. You know, some plastic surgeons do a pysch. profile on their patients before they agree to treat them to make sure they are emotionally prepared not for the procedure itself but for the recovery period.

For me, for whatever reason, I was really able to hear this message (again, maybe because I only had the word of people who were post-six-months and whom I just trusted), and when I would start to feel this way, I would just think "ok, this is what they were talking about--it's normal--I won't worry about it." It's just like taking a medicine and the label warns you that it may cause temporary nausea, but that it will subside. Then when that nausea hits, at least you were expecting it and can be comforted to know that it's part of the process.

Sorry for the long post, but it I haven't posted in a while (I'm much less obsessed with these boards now that I'm so much less obsessed with my skin).

--leo

sorry for all of my typos--my mind moves faster than my fingerss, and I'm too lazy to edit!

Leopolda, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am also older and wiser and do not expect miracles. I feel I have put much thought and consideration into my decision to have dermabrasion with Dr. Y. I must admit I have been obsessing about the posts where the patients seem somewhat disappointed. Thanks for your thoughts as I prepare for my dermabrasion jouney.

k9lover

Leopolda,  Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  I am also older and wiser and do not expect miracles.  I feel I have put much thought and consideration into my decision to have dermabrasion with Dr. Y.  I must admit I have been obsessing about the posts where the patients seem somewhat disappointed. Thanks for your thoughts as I prepare for my dermabrasion jouney.

k9lover

Guest niko

I am reconsidering getting it done myself. I am thinking of waiting until I am 30-35 before I do an invasive procedure, and instead just living with it for now. To me 10-15 even 20 percent is not enough for the downtime and costs, I know some people get results.

Miss Shady I am going through the same dilemma atm, i just don't know. eusa_wall.gif

I am now at 9 weeks post-op, and even though I am at the all-too-familiar point of watching some of the scars re-appear after being so ecstatic with no scars at all while the swelling was still present, I am still satisfied with my results thus far. My skin texture is much smoother than before and the scars are softer & much less prominent. If at 6 months post-op I have more improvement than now, I will consider it a bonus; if what I have now is the most improvement I will see at all, I am still very happy with the outcome. As Leopolda said, I too wonder if some people's expectations were too high; Dr. Y strongly warns against expecting too much and being disappointed when you have your consult with him, and he's exactly right. If I were expecting perfection from my first derm, I too would be disappointed right now. With the improvements I've seen so far, I feel much more self-confident; that alone was worth the time and money spent!

Thanks guys I am feeling better. I am only looking for improvement so I do believe I am ready for this journey. Wish me luck I go a week from Tuesday. Like I said earlier I am much older than most of you. So I am ready just scared and excited all at the same time.

K9lover

The boards have been extremely helpful, but I could not locate many insightful messages from people at the 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year vantage points. I wish there were a way to get credible (i.e., lots of data points) polling data at these post procedure durations.

I too have been disappointed to read of only 10% improvement in recent posts. However, it seems that Leo and others have been happy from the vantage point of 6 months after dermabrasion. I have a CA tan from being active outdoors with swimming, tennis, and golf. While my scars bother me, I'm not thrilled about the potential need to hibernate from the sun (and am scared to death of hypopigmentation) and am not sure if I could handle the emotional aspects of the flight back to CA. I would not want to make this big time/travel investment and incur the embarrassment factor unless I could expect, say, at least a 25% improvement. A six and 12 months respectively, how many of you think you had more or less than 25% improvement. I think I may be a candidate for say 5 punch floats. Is punch floating a material factor in the overall improvment?

Thanks for your insights. PS. I know we are supposed to stay out of the sun, but I love the outdoors and tan very nicely ( blond hair, with medium skin tone)

I am reconsidering getting it done myself.  I am thinking of waiting until I am 30-35 before I do an invasive procedure, and instead just living with it for now.  To me 10-15 even 20 percent is not enough for the downtime and costs, I know some people get results. 

Miss Shady I am going through the same dilemma atm, i just don't know.  eusa_wall.gif

Billyboy

Sorry not to have responded yet to your pm (I've not been on-line in a while). I think you in particular might really benefit from paying an initial visit to Dr. Y for a consult (and, if he deems necessary, some punch floats, which do not seem to be a very big deal (in terms of flying home embarrassment factor or recovery time). You could enjoy a few days in New Orleans, sample some of the great food, meet Dr. Y and Cassandra, see the before and after pics, etc. I think if I recall, you said you were retired, so you could spare the time. I'm not sure how much the money aspect is a concern, but if it is, the consult fee is $125, and you can fly directly from Oakland on Southwest, usually for a decent price. Meeting the two of them, seeing the pics, and going throught the trip might really help you to decide. In terms of percentage, I can't really assess exactly, but I would say I have definitely had over 25 % improvement. Maybe you could plan your derm for next winter, when the weather is not great and you'd be more likely to stay inside anyway? Just a thought.

K9lover--I felt exactly the way you do. You've done your research, you've given this a lot of thought, you have realistic expectations, and you certainly aren't just "jumping into this." There's nothing more you could do in order to make a responsible decision. I really think you'll be pleased with your decision. Plus, if you're like me, just taking the initiative to improve your scars (rather than just continue to be silently unhappy with them), is a rush and feels good.

--leo

Miss Shady,

From research within this site and without, I honestly think that your improvement depends on the type of scar and their depth. People like drewboy and portlandboy seem to have had great improvement, whereas other seem quite disappointed after three months.

I am myself conflicted as I plan on having the surgery this summer. I'm unsure if it's worth it. Especially because going to Dr. Y is stressful because of the travel. I read that you are coming from Scotland and am wondering why you are choosing to travel so far to see Dr. Y. I am currently trying to decide whether I should go with a well respected surgeon in Michigan who does the procedure with a diamond fraise or to go with the well-trusted, but far away Dr. Y. I'm just curious to know what your motivation is.

Eitherway, good luck on making the decision and the surgery should you decide to have it. I would trust Dr.Y on his projection of the results on your scars. You can speculate all you want on the outcomes, but I honestly think that the is the one who can tell you the projection closest to reality for your particular skin.

best,

Kim

Leopolda

Thanks. It is great to hear that you have more than a 25% improvement. Does anyone else have a sense as to improvement at the 6 month and 12 month marks?

My plan is to send Dr. Y some pictures and if he thinks a consult is wise to go down toward the end of Nov, with a possible derm in mid Dec. I was questioning whether I should even take the first step based on some of the more recent reports of 10% improvement. With my plan, I will be ready for the outdoors in spring. If I proceed, I am not looking forward to the first few weeks, and especially the return flight to Oakland. Wow!

Thanks for your detailed response leoploda, i do acctually feel much more at ease now.

Kimbasco, the reason i have chosen to travel so far to have Dr Yarborough perform my dermabrasion is because i have heard such great things about him, and i have read so many horror story's about people who have had dermabrasion performed by someone other than Dr Y, and they have ended up with more scarring that what they went in with, and there in no way in hell i would take that risk!

Good luck if you do decide to have the dermabrasion.

And as far as I know, noone else does dermabrasions with the rolling steel brush but Dr Y.

I've had 9 dermabrasions, by 3 different plastic surgeons, and every operation has been made with a spinning diamond fraise (cone). I believe with a wire brush it is possible and easier to go deeper. But more deeper it is done, more important it is the surgeon has lots of _recent_ experience with the operation. It's not good if (s)he has seen the operation in a medical school from the video several years ago, or has done couple of times years ago.

It is a shame, if the skill is forgotten after Dr Y retires. I think younger plastic surgeons should go to N.O. and be taught this skill in place so it is not forgotten.

9 dermabrasions! damn! that is a lot, do you still have scarring? if so is is far,far milder than what it was before you ever had any dermabrasion?

9 dermabrasions! damn! that is a lot, do you still have scarring? if so is is far,far milder than what it was before you ever had any dermabrasion?

I used to have very deep scarring, back in 1993 before the 1st. Now after 9 dermabrasions, I have rather shallow scarring which doesn't show in some light conditions, but then again do show still in some (in tangential light). I am planning for my 10th, actually have already more or less planned for one year, but it is difficult to find a skilled doctor hereabouts (Northern Europe) who would have recent experience in dermabrasion. My previous surgeons are retired. I think from the start, punch floats would had been the right first operations, but no one suggested or knew about those over 10 years ago. Maybe my scars were not even suitable for punch floats, because I never had ice picks, lots of box scars and rolling scars though. I have tried to ask what is the largest diameter of scar which can be punch floated (punch elevated) but no one seem to know.

Hi Noone --- you obviously know a lot about dermabrasion! I have had 4 dermabrasions two with the diamond friaise and two with the wire brush. I definitely got greater improvements from the wire brush.

For me the dermabrasions have all been worth it 120% --- my life is so much different now to 9 months ago. Mind you, I never expected a miracle nor did I get one, but I have had very good improvement. I have had no complications with any of them --- the only thing Is that I have had to wear make up and travel with a red face, but really who cares about these things --- i would never let such minor things stop me from achieving my end result. I just grit my teeth and get on with it.

I agree with you about it being a terrible shame about the "art" being lost when Doctor Y retires. He has trained several people in it, all free of charge, but I guess it is hard for other surgeons to get the volume of patients and resultant skill at this procedure as most people would chose to actually travel and have Doctor Y perform this than someone just learning. Plus I think a lot of surgeons are looking for the "miracle" treatment or an easier surgery to perform, which Dermabrasion is not.

Up until about a couple of months ago, when dermabrasion was all the rage on this board, no one really had a bad word to say about it, and everyone was scheduling appointments with Dr Yarborough to have it done.  Although now that the majority of the people who have had dermabrasion have had a a couple or more months to heal, it would appear that the results from the dermabrasion are certainly nothing to write home about, Which is a bit of a let down, i know this procedure is by far a miricle cure for scars, and realistically speaking i am only looking for about a 30-40% improvement in my scarring, although it would seem that even that is asking to much, and some people have only reported having had a 10-15% improvement.

So i am starting to ask myself......Is this procedure really worth the time/money/and dare i say......heart ache???

Meet Pete what is the difference between dermabrasion and dermaplaning? is it less invasive? therefore fewer possible risks of further scarring?

Thanks