Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UK_Guy

Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist?

Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist in England, preferably somewhere in the South East (I live in Oxfordshire)? By good, I mean a) someone who is up-to-date with the latest research and developments and b) someone who will actually listen to what you have to say, and who will suggest treatment appropriate to your skin condition. I'm prepared to pay privately for a good derm. Please supply contact details if you have them. Thanks

I had a bad experience the last time I saw a derm (which admitedly was about 8 years ago), he only spent about 5 minutes looking at me then just gave me a prescription for Retin-A which screwed up my skin badly (I have quite sensitive skin). Also I seemed to know more about the possible available treatments than he did! Hence why I'm asking for one people would recommend...

BTW I'm 35 with persistant moderate (I guess, though what I have got often goes cystic) acne, and since stopping minocycline (which I was mostly clear on for 3 years) at the end of last year I've experienced the worst acne I've had for about 10 years, including many places where I haven't had it for years (forehead, eyebrows, jawline, nose and by my ear - I only had it on my chin until recently), and its ruining my life :-(

Guest akid

Just go for any consultant. They're always good, and up to date as well.

Guest Avian

You can go private to get an appointment quicker, but your GP decides whether you need a referral. If you've been through loads of treatment already, it's likely that he/she will refer you. Not sure about getting a consultant - I'd make sure I requested this.

Just tell your doctor that yo dont feel as though anythings working and ask if you can be referred to see a derm. Check to find out what the waiting times are. In my area its like 16 weeks and I cant wait that long so I usually go private, but some people on here have been seen within 3 weeks

Tell them it's making you depressed and affecting you a lot psychologically as well as low confidence levels and stuff. They will probably be more willing to refer you then as it's usually last resort wink.gif

hey mate dont worry the john radcliffe is really good i just couln't get back for appointments so tranferred to cardiff

when u go to the doctoe explain that you were already seeing a derm years ago thwe only thing is ox has a long waiting list you will need to go asap

good luck

hey mate dont worry the john radcliffe is really good i just couln't get back for appointments so tranferred to cardiff

I waited weeks to see the derm after being referred. I really thought he'd solve the problem but he was SHIT! God knows what id be like if i hadnt gone on the regimen-he was USELESS.

I waited weeks to see the derm after being referred. I really thought he'd solve the problem but he was SHIT! God knows what id be like if i hadnt gone on the regimen-he was USELESS.

so hav u tried the regimen already then? Coz i was gonna go on accutane but i guessed i should at leat try the regimen first as everyone was goin on about it so much. Accutane is a pretty scary drug and the regimen has worked SO good for me. Seriously, my face is practicly clear now wen this time3 months ago it was AWFUL. I mean, if it didnt work 4 you then fair enough but wots the point of risking the side effects of accutane wen the normal BP stuff mite work 4 u? (soz if im soundin a bit rude-just wanna help)

so hav u tried the regimen already then? Coz i was gonna go on accutane but i guessed i should at leat try the regimen first as everyone was goin on about it so much. Accutane is a pretty scary drug and the regimen has worked SO good for me. Seriously, my face is practicly clear now wen this time3 months ago it was AWFUL. I mean, if it didnt work 4 you then fair enough but wots the point of risking the side effects of accutane wen the normal BP stuff mite work 4 u? (soz if im soundin a bit rude-just wanna help)

Hi there,

I'm a British girl living in the US right now & just like you have been getting to the end of my tether as far as my skin is concerned. I didn't visit a dermatologist here or in the UK when I was at home, but did make repeated visits to my GP at home. Have tried antibiotics (worked for a while), topical antibiotics (saw no improvement) & many many natural and chemical treatments (topical usually).

I just wanted to say that before you take the more drastic options I really would give Dan's regimen a proper go. I stumbled on this site while here in the US so am fortunate to be able to use the exact products he recommends, it doesn't seem so easy for people back home to find a group of products that works. Anyway like yourself I tried the regimen and for the first month, in fact for nearly the first 2 months I saw no improvement. If anything things got worse. This caused me great distress as I felt like this was my last hope. However I am now pleased to say that things seem to be working. I am by no means spot free but for the first time I feel like I can hold my head up and look people in the eye. It really did take a full 2 months for me to see any improvement though.

Anyway I have just noticed that you posted some time ago so maybe you have found some other options that work for you. Just wanted to share my experience so maybe you would give the regimen one last go.

Whatever happens, best of luck!

Guest mishmosh

I tried Oxytetracycline but gave it up after a couple of weeks.

I developed awful pains in my chest and felt like I couldnt breathe!

i didnt go back to my GP. heyho!

i can tell you from working in a dermatology department in past that no matter how much you tell them its affecting you it wont get you seen any earlier,as all the referral forms are graded by the consultants,urgent,soon and routine,acne is always routine,as skin cancer ect are urgent,soon being something not dangerous but more severe than acne.

of course as a fellow acne sufferer i no this stinks,but im just saying what i no.

you could pester a bit phone and see if there are any cancled appts,they may let you have one,once you have been put on waiting list.

i guess it depends on hosp,but as far as i no most appts are 3-6 mths,from date of receieved referral.