Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LuDamnion

Accutane success stories please!

Hey all, Im on my 6th week of accutane, and im sure many of you know what a hassle and struggle it can be with the ever changing effects accutane has on acne and the body. I have whats described as severe acne, and im seeing some change, but im afraid how the redmarks are going to turn out and when i can finally become clear.

I know alot of you have been through it, and I would like to hear your outcomes after finishing treatment, and how you would rate your skin after accutane. Thanks alot

word. i would like to hear that too...

and also if your side effects subsided when you were done with the accutane course. i am terrified that the joint pain won't go away.

i really dont have any pain or other body effects except for lips and skin, the usual. but yeah, i wanna hear what the accutane veterans say about the outcome, and how they rate their skin...redmarks too, how long did those take.

First of all let me say to you that you made your first big step for clear skin.Accutane course was a big war for me not kidding.My acne was mild-moderate but i had a lot off crap insine my skin that had to come out.I started breaking out crazy from the first 2 weeks and it didnt stop until the 4th month.I continue breaking out even at my last month.I had perfect flawless skin for 7 months.I had to take 1 month more to take care oily skin and small breakouts.Accutane will keep working even after your course cause it stays on your system.Some tips 1)Dont pick skin or zits u'll regret it 2)Moisturise often 3)Dont use anything on your face while on accutane cause u'll iritate your skin more.

Accutane was the only thing that worked for me and i lost 4 years with creams and shit that didnt do anything.Good luck smile.gif

Fightacne-

Congrats!!! I just wanted to ask you how long you are off the Accutane (7 months??) or have you been off it longer and the acne came back after 7 months?

I've been off from the first course for 7 months.Last month oily skin and mild breakouts had to lead me to my doc again which he gave me accutane for 1 month.Now i'm clear again.See the results at my album-maybe tommorow i'll post some before pictures to see the difference.

Awww, Your skin looks AMAZING!!!! You have such a gorgeous face and look so happy... Yay!

Im trying to decide if I should do accutane or not. I dont want to be that small percentage that it doesnt work for or something. Its such a huge choice. But- I definately have zero confidence left and before I got acne.. I was super confident and I actually have been scouted by 2 modeling agencies,and was getting the ball rolling- but Now its all in reverse...So Im trying to not sound so desperate, but I im desperate for it to clear up now- haha.. I just want it to go away so I can move on with things, ya know?

I dont really know what happened because my skin was flawless. Acne wasnt even in my vocab...But then I literally woke up with it. I thought it would go away, and it just got worse..and Now Im trying to decide.

Anyways- your results are awesome, and I hope you stay clear FOREVER because thats just great. Also, you look great- Rock On!

I know how u feel...i was on the same boat 1 year ago.But after all the lost time with other treatments i decided to take accutane.If its holding back your life go get it and take your chances.As far as i know its very very rare to not see results with accutane...this is also depents from your doc and how much expierience has with this treatment.A good doc wont let u leave until u have a clear face!!Thnx for the good words and feel free to ask anything about accutane.

Guest Craigems

I will post mine when i get time this arvo. (aus time)

I'm sorry but i just finish my third week and I'm about to jump off a roof.....My intial breakout makes me look like I have some contagious disease and it irritating the hell out of me.....I just cut all my classes this week and I dont think I'll be able to make it 5 mths...I mean ...I might have to look like for 5 mths...I mean I've allways had severe acne but now it even worst... I just look in the mirror and this yellowish green stuff was coming out of "one" of my many cysts......I dont think I'm gonna make it

Please....help me cry.gif

Hang in there!!!Its really tough i know,but there's no worse thing to stop now.Just think that in 5 months from now u'll have clear face for a long time(maybe for ever)Find something to keep yourself busy and not to think acne all the time.Dont pick cause u might cause scarring and thats something worse than acne sometimes.Dont give up its an uphill but in the end u'll just laugh with this whole think trust me!!!

Hang in there!!!Its really tough i know,but there's no worse thing to stop now.Just think that in 5 months from now u'll have clear face for a long time(maybe for ever)Find something to keep yourself busy and not to think acne all the time.Dont pick cause u might cause scarring and thats something worse than acne sometimes.Dont give up its an uphill but in the end u'll just laugh with this whole think trust me!!!

Have you finished your course yet, Craig?

Don't worry guys. Things usually start to look better after your 2nd month.

Scared- Aw hun, I wish I could give you a huge hug!!!!!

First of all, everyone is right- you wont see results until your 2nd month. You are not going to spend 5 months with terrible cysts. Its going to get better from this point. I know this isnt as bad as what you are going thru, but when I took retin-a micro..it made my face explode. I cried and cried because I ended up with worse acne than what I started with. (9 cysts on my chin, 1 on my forehead, a bunch of smaller cysts ALL over my cheeks, along with regular zits too- and a billion red marks leftover.) And for me- that was BAD.

Anyways- Try to just go on with your life as it is. Dont concentrate on the mirror. That isnt you right now, thats all the stuff built up thats coming out- and underneath it, you are transforming. When this is all over with, omg- you will be even more gorgeous!! Nothing good comes easy, thats for damn sure. And I know you want to skip class and hide out, but dont- Go as usual, and dont let it affect you. People do not care about it- even though YOU do. I know its easier said than done, but people REALLY do not care.

I really think its a learning experience. It shows how strong you are, and when you finish your initial breakout, and the clear skin starts shining through- youre gonna look back at this thread and go "Damn I am SO glad I didnt stop" You are already at the worst point, so if you stop taking it.. You went thru all this for nothing. Dont let that happen. Push through it, and the reward will be SO great.

If you ever need to talk, Just post or send me an email. Im going through the same thing, and I feel like hiding- but Im trying not to as hard as it is.

Youll be ok, I promise you that! Just think about the end result... Thatll be your motivation. You better not stop taking it, though- Or I will bussa'cap in yo ass.

frankie:

that was soooo helpful for me to read! thanks for taking the time to write. cause i am feeling miserable and ugly and that i might not be able to do this for 4 and 1/2 more months...but this site, and people like you, are pushing me through. i have to keep reminding myself that this WILL get better. that i WILL feel better. and push on.

thanks again. (and scarred---i'm right there with you. you can do it!)

Lexi-

Awww YAY *Hugs* haha.. Im so glad I was a help to someone. So many people have helped me on this board, and since I dont have alot of accutane/acne knowledge..I feel like I dont help anyone in return.. So that was awesome!

How far along are you with your treatment? Hows everything lookin?

Im having alot of trouble deciding to go on accutane or not- but here's my thoughts on it.

Ok..Im using 2 things that arent really working. Im still breaking out. I keep worrying about this "initial breakout" and I want to kick myself because.. Im breaking out *ANYWAY* ...so at least with Accutane, at the end of that breakout, is ACTUALLY clear skin because accutane WORKS.

I purged like a purgey-purger on Retin-A, hun- and let me tell you- WHOA...the aftermath.. Still breakin out, Still have red marks, ....I went through that, for what? Nothing! At least with the tane, youve got an end in sight.

So everyday that you wake up, and you feel your face to check for progress...or you jump to the mirror and feel sad.. Just remember, there's a time limit on this particular acne you have right now..whereas pre-tane, there wasnt. So each day that goes by, is another day closer to clear skin.

Be thankful that you are getting over the hump, and youre sexy-mama-ness will explode all over the place, instead of your acne. And for every moment that you stop and think about if your skin looks bad.. replace those thoughts with "My skin is gonna look SO good. Movie-star Good."

Haha- So keep your faith up, and if you ever feel cocka about anything, feel free to PM me, or email me. Im here if you need to vent. We are all going through this mess together.. If and WHEN, I get accutane- I will probably have the same posts too. Haha

FrankieBGirl

Thanks sooo much...you really help me alot. I'mm gonna try my best to get through this. I just freaked out for a moment when I look in the mirror. shock.gif But thanks again, I'm too far in it to turn back now...I have to be strong... eusa_angel.gif Thanks again biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Now u're on the road for clear skin dont give up.Theres a lot of help in this board from people that really care. wink.gif

frankie. you are awesome.

i can tell that you must be a really awesomely awesome awesome girl. and yes, the thing about being on accutane is that there IS an end. and the fact that it seems like the most proactive (haha) thing to do. i don't know how old you are, but i am 26, i've been dealing with this for a very long time, and wrestling with the descision "to go on tane or not go on tane" for years. when i think about it now (sometimes) i think, i could have started and been DONE like 5 times over...but i think everything is a process. the path is the goal. i feel like i needed to get through all the options, totally exhaust all the possibilities before turning to accutane. when it comes down to it, it IS a very serious drug with serious side effects. so i wanted to make sure i had tried everything. which i did. and then finally decided to "shit or get off the pot"... so here i am.

i'm keeping a journal on the other board: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=43293 check it.

keep in touch, girl. and if you want to ask/talk about anything, you know where to find me...

lex.

Scared- There you go, babe..Work it out!!!! Everything is going to be FINE. Accutane isnt for the faint of heart, thats for sure! So, you definately are brave enough to go on it in the first place, you are brave enough to stay on it. That mirror is going to be your best friend in a couple of months, just wait!

Lex-

You are an awesome girl, First and Foremost!!!!!

Im 21, so I feel you on this. You feel like.. Ok, Im over puberty whats this mess going on? But ya know..you are SO right. Its a huge decision, and now that youve made that decision- you already found your way on the path. Its a matter of time before you get the courage to take ahold of things that are scary and unknown. I hate that Accutane gets more publicity for its negetive effects, than all the millions of success stories and all the things people say like, "It gave me my life back" ya know? Instead you hear how a Senator's son killed himself on it. Maybe he was suicidal before Accutane. Maybe he hated his life and it had nothing to do with Accutane. Maybe it did, but we will never, ever know that and you cannot dwell on that aspect.

You have to really look at it, and say.. Ok is it worse for me to live my life hiding because of my acne.. Or is it worse for me to take my chances with Accutane, with its blazing 80% success rate? Uh, Hi Ill take Accutane. haha smile.gif

As for you being able to have done it 5 times over already- Thats how I feel. I could have gone to the derm when this first started happening, but did i? No Im a stubborn bull-headed dumbass that thought it was going to go away. Could I have been long-on my way to clear skin? Yeah probably. Am I? NO!!!! haha, So I battle with myself over that frequently. If only I went sooner.

Anyway, Im so glad to have helped you guys. You better keep in touch (both of you) with your progress. If you have a bad-skin day, just PM me and we can compare because, honey- I have bad-skin days everyday right now. haha (So hot)

Stay strong, keep taking those pills, and remember that its all worth it in the end. Much Love!!!!!

Guest Craigems

Lets see, This is more of a rapid improvement story yet a success story. I have since probably 14 years of age sufferered from varying degree's of acne on my face, and i was then taken to the my first derm at the age of about 16/17. He put me on every med under the sun to help me ... some worked some didnt, but he kept pushing me to go on Accutane and i flatly refused, because my dad does on-off work for Roche Australia as an Electrician and he was told not to let me go on it if he could help it. (haha great advice comming from the developer of the drug). And after a few years we got sick of going and we decided alternative paths to cure my acne. I tried blue-light theorpy which worked then ... BANG i had the biggest breakout ever it was devastating. My face, neck, back, shoulders, chest Literally smothered in acne, some cystic but fortunantly mostly papular acne. If you thought you were bad... you shoulda seen me it was shocking, i couldnt roll over in bed without them popping and waking up in a pool of blood it was bad i tell ya.

I had enough and told my dad i need to go to a doctor and he totally agree'd, my mum wanted me to try chinese medicine or some shit, i just looked at my dad and said RoAccutane. (lol i have such faith in alt. Medicines as you can see rolleyes.gif) Anyways we went to our GP who basically gave birth to me, so he's family pretty much, Says to my dad, If he didnt let me go on RoAccutane he's gonna adopt me and put me on it and take me away from my dad. Thats how bad i was.

Anyways i got told to go to this derm a friend of my doctor, who put me on this plan. I was hit hard with Minocycline, and Prednisone from day 1. In 2 weeks the flairups stopped. Then he introduces me to Accutane 1 tablet per week (20mg). with a gradual increase of 1 tablet every week of Accutane till i saw him again.

My dosages were 100mg Minocycline, 25mg Prednisone, 1x20mg Accutane a week.

(if you are interested i have a log i have kept for my journey, please ask me and i'll send it to you).

Anyways from this point on my derm basicially juggled minocycline, Accutane & Prednisone around. He's had 20years experience with Accutane so he knows what he was doing, whereas most derms DONT CONSIDER USING MINOCYCLINE AND ACCUTANE. He told me ... as long as the dosages were both kept at a minimum its quite safe ... and i had to believe him .. i wasnt gonna say no. My life was somewhat suicidal at that point anyways.

Cut a long story short. In a matter of 3 months i am now part way through my 4th month (my term is a 9month course coz i started very low with gradual increase) i am clear, My scarring is basically gone on my face, because i have been to the beach lots. My chest looks ordinary but its okay enough to take my shirt off and my back and shoulders... (what acne?).

I have gone back to uni, Tanned and i think every girl i look at when i walk past looks back and smiles at me, or the quick look away.... I caught one goodlooking girl staring at me in a Education Lecture i was attending. My Confidence is VERY VERY HIGH as a result of all this. I love my life now, its fantastic I cant believe how quickly this has gone and i'm clear! My derm i will never thank enough for this. So in 3 months i went from this ninja.gif to this biggrin.gif, and girls are like this wub.gif and i'm like this cool.gifeusa_whistle.giflol.gifeusa_drool.gifeusa_dance.gif.

I will put photo's up ... i know i have been saying this for ages!!!! but i finally got my camera phone back .. so i'll give it a shot. (haha pun) Guys that are taking Accutane or are considering it, let me say this ... IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE also i have had little or no side effect... not even chapped lips, basically coz i started off slow my body kept adjusting to it so the side effects were hardly noticible for me.

I'm Currently since yesterdays derm visit taking 40mg Accutane a day, and 10mg Prednisone (slowly comming oiff coz i have been on it for about 4months now).

I hope this is an inspiration to all you guys on Accutane, Let me tell you it does work, and it works soo quickly you'll be almost complaining saying "dam that was quick". And guys ... Scarring isnt a problem... let me tell you scarring as soon as you stop ( this is what my derm said)... basically the red-marks go in about a month after you stop treatment, and the raised scars will be given courtisone shots to flatten out by your derm. Indentations ... just battle scars most people have them so dont worry just think of it as a war you have won!

ALSO COME TO THESE BOARDS FOR SUPPORT OFTEN, IT WAS THE BEST WEBSITE I EVER FOUND!

Thankyou and Godbless all Acne Sufferers.

damn, marathon post. thanks craig...if you are as cute in person as you are in writing, it's good your on the other side of the world from me (HA).

Guest Craigems

Well it was a support post, lol, if people wanted support or inspiration thats my journy, be inspired or bored by the long read lol.

Thanks lexi lol i'm taking that as a compliment. I dont want you to hurt me wub.gif

Thanks for sharing your story, Craig. I forgot you were going to be on the 'tane for 9 months!

Craigems-

Aww that was an awesome story! Im so happy that you gained your confidence back. Its so weird, but you think of acne usually, as an unattractive thing that happens to unattractive people. But from all the pictures Ive seen of people, Im shocked at how beautiful and gorgeous everyone is.

I dont want to sound like a wanker- but I said in another post that Ive been scouted twice to model. Thats all been cut short because my face decided to explode. I think thats what really is bothering me.. Thinking.. ok I could be living out an amazing life, and instead Im depressed. I should be on Miami Beach living it up.. But am i? NO.

Anyways- Thats really amazing! Im hoping I can post in a few months and say IM 100% Clear!