Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have read not to use AHA with BP by people on the boards, but it seems like the AHA would get rid of all those dead skin cells and allow the BP to penetrate more to the bacteria...

anyone trying this?

I have read not to use AHA with BP by people on the boards, but it seems like the AHA would get rid of all those dead skin cells and allow the BP to penetrate more to the bacteria...

anyone trying this?

OK I have found/researched some interesting info since my initial post. On acne prone skin, Beta Hydroxy Acid-the only one is Salicylic Acid- works best b/c it is oil/lipid-soluble so it can penetrate deeper into the pore through sebum and exfoliate built up cells in the pore (Alpha Hydroxys, such as glycolic and lactic, work better on tough, sun-damaged skin with no breakouts and they are water-soluble). AHAs and BHAs are both exfoliants either way you look at it. It is ok to use BP after your AHA or BHA lotion. Cleansers with AHA or BHA are not worth it b/c they do not stay on long enough to be absorbed.

I think that covers it all.

My Products:

AM

Cetaphil Normal Cleanser

Cetaphil Moisturizer

Tinted Moisturizer with Suncreen

PM

Cetaphil Cleanser

Neutrogena MultiVitamin With Salicylic Acid

Panoxyl 10% BP gel

I sometimes put on Nivea Q10 at night

OK I have found/researched some interesting info since my initial post.  On acne prone skin, Beta Hydroxy Acid-the only one is Salicylic Acid- works best b/c it is oil/lipid-soluble so it can penetrate deeper into the pore through sebum and exfoliate built up cells in the pore (Alpha Hydroxys, such as glycolic and lactic, work better on tough, sun-damaged skin with no breakouts and they are water-soluble). AHAs and BHAs are both exfoliants either way you look at it.  It is ok to use BP after your AHA or BHA lotion.  Cleansers with AHA or BHA are not worth it b/c they do not stay on long enough to be absorbed.

I think that covers it all.

I use a BHA scrub and a BP Cleanser and haven't had any irritation at all.

According to www.cosmeticcop.com, you should use BP in combination with a product containing BHA or AHA, as you said, they get rid of the dead skin cells so that the BP can penetrate your pores and kill bacteria more effectively.

Cleansers with AHA or BHA are not worth it b/c they do not stay on long enough to be absorbed.

eusa_angel.gif Hi...i just started with the regimen for about 3 days now..And at night after cleansing my face,i apply AHA Enhanced Lotion  then wait at least 5 mins then apply the BP ( i use the Proactiv Lotion)...It doesnt irritate my skin..Maybe im not one of those who has sensitive skin with certain products like AHA..It really works well...My face is clearing up, it feels like the AHA is refining the skin texture-clearing up dead skin cells....I know i just started a few days but i guess the BP and AHA work that fast with me...

Erm,either i am wrong or u are coz i put on BP first before putting on AHA lotion.

I agree. though in theory BHA are more suitable for acne prone skin but i can't use it, it would juz give me break outs and aha dun. Weird....

Here is my source...I didn't make this shit up off the top of my head, I promise...

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/skincareproducts/a/aha.htm

It makes sense to me and works for me b/c my regime works...

also about using BP b/f BHA or AHA, if it works for you as someone else said keep doing it, but it seems the BHA would make more sense first to slough off the cells first.

I am not putting anyone else's regime down. If you find something that works, great!! It took me awhile to find something for me.

EMM0977,

Thanks for the link. I think maybe as the article obliquely implied it might be an age thing. I'm in my late 20s and I've been having more success with AHA, but my skin isn't the oily kind of teenage skin. I think BHA is more helpful with that. Although I had found in the past that the Biore blemish bombs worked really well right on the spots, made b/c of the oil solubility thing.

EMM0977,

Thanks for the link. I think maybe as the article obliquely implied it might be an age thing. I'm in my late 20s and I've been having more success with AHA, but my skin isn't the oily kind of teenage skin. I think BHA is more helpful with that. Although I had found in the past that the Biore blemish bombs worked really well right on the spots, made b/c of the oil solubility thing.

EMM0977,

Thanks for the link. I think maybe as the article obliquely implied it might be an age thing. I'm in my late 20s and I've been having more success with AHA, but my skin isn't the oily kind of teenage skin. I think BHA is more helpful with that.

Can the Oil Free Alpha Hydrox stuff still break you out?

i just started using the oil free stuff and i have noticed more blemishes on my forehead?

Has anyone noticed more breakouts from using any of the AH products?

Can the Oil Free Alpha Hydrox stuff still break you out?

i just started using the oil free stuff and i have noticed more blemishes on my forehead?

Has anyone noticed more breakouts from using any of the AH products?