Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest *Clara

Tanning for acne and redmarks?!?!

Guest *Clara

I put this in a another forum but I really need an answer.

I'm considering on going tanning because my skin is very light and not many makeups match with my skin. I have these questions...

- Will tanning hide general redness in my skin?

- Does it make really bright redmarks more dull looking? (i'm hoping)

- Will this make everything less noticeable compared to my white and reddish skintone? (i hate having really white skin and bright redmarks!)

Thanks so much!

Guest Craigems

depends what medication you are on. But this is really isnt an acne area. Be sure to keep in the red-marks forum, this post will most likely be moved.

I am a tanned person, yes it does fade scarring but only in moderation, but only time in the end gets rid of the redness.

Guest *Clara

Thanks a bunch. I keep hearing that it helps hide/get rid of redmarks and acne. Can you move this to the redmark forum? Seeya. smile.gif

edit: Great, thanks. smile.gif

It does help in the short term although I am not sure in the long run. I know that I tanned a lot 2 years ago and it completely faded all my red marks. People told me how good my skin looked like. ( Actually, it was perfect as if I did not have any acne at all), so yeah, it does help short term. I hear a lot of people saying that it makes them darker and makes them harder to dissapear though so I'm not sure. After that summer, I broke out like crazy so all my red marks came back. I'm not quite sure if they were new red marks or the last red marks I had before the summer that came back. So I dunno sad.gif. Maybe all tanning does is fade them for a short time then make them come back even darker >_<..

I'd like to know more about this too.

What I think tanning does is help actual pimples short term since you're getting vitamin D and it makes your skin darker and look better overall so you don't notice the red marks as much. But if you're not going to go all the time then don't bother going here and there because you will breakout when you're not consistent (I don't know why, just my experience) and I have found when I do not go consistently my skin looks very pale within days, more pale then when I went and I notice the red marks more since I look or am more pale. But when I go consistently, meaning 2 times/week starting off until I get a base then 1 time/week I don't notice as many pimples or red marks.

But I have read so many times tanning makes acne scars worse, more red, so I try not to go. Not to mention you'll age worse. It's a choice of what is more important.. getting rid of acne now or saving yourself from wrinkles later.

i went crazy tanning in a tanning bed, and it actually works.. it hides the red marks... that after awhile i forgot i had them. then when the winter came i stopped going to the tanning saloon, and guess what they were still there.

Thats weird you stopped when winter came because cant you just sun tan in the summer and go to the salon in the winter becuase lack of sun? Thats what I do.

I had stop tanning because i went to the tanning salon one to many times and started to get blotches. but i also heard tanning only makes ur stains stay longer. but tanning definatly hides the stains

I went on a sunbed today,my red marks are now invisible Top stuff! eusa_dance.gif

Not that i'll be making a habit of it, i'v got a date this weekend and I dont want acne ruining my chances....

I would strongly advise you to stay away from tanning and the sun completley if you want to rid your red marks. This August will be 5 years with the same red marks on my right cheek. They definetley have faded considerably but they aren't completley gone. They aren't completley gone because I wasn't protected from the sun. Whenever the sun gets to your red marks (yes, even on a cloudy day when you can't visibly see the sun) they will be re-darkened. The way it works is the sun gets your face and the natural healing process of the skin when you get a tan is to darken. The pigmentation in your skin is increased giving you a 'tan'. Well it may look like it faded the red marks away but all it did was temporarily blend in with your skin. When your tan goes away your red marks will be there and in worst condition then before. The sun re-darkens red marks. I don't know how many times I have to say it. The most important thing in treating these red marks in sun protection. It took me 5 years to try it and it is already working. It's a viscious cycle. You are trying to heal the red marks and make them fade but everytime the sun gets to them they re-darken. You absolutley have to be protected from the sun at ALL TIMES!! I have been wearing sunscreen daily for the past 4 or 5 weeks and I can already see an improvement.

i'v been doing this tanning thing for ages, its had no negative effect on my redmarks so far.

I can understand where your coming from though its a fact that the sun is really bad for your skin full stop but diffrent people react in diffrent ways, i'm quite dark skinned anyway, it must be the italian blood.

Yeah that's because you tan all the time. Once you stop tanning your red marks will come back. Just go to www.google.com and type in PIH sunscreen. Go to the first 5 pages it gives you. Then type "control + f" on your keyboard and search for "sun". This will search the web page for the word sun. Read up man.

no, no i don't tan all the time. just in the summer or on odd occasions like today. this is the first time i'v tanned since september my skin still remains quite dark though, i get it from my dad.

i still say thorn looks great just the way she is though.

she doesnt need a tan its not like she even has red marks to hide but its all down to personal preferance

You said you "been doing this tanning thing for ages". Tanning is not good for your redmarks. It doesn't matter who you are or what type of skin you have. If you have red marks tanning is not good for them. Search the sites on the net. I don't know if you went to any but they all say that protection from the sun is crucial in treating PIH (red marks). This includes tanning beds.

Guest *Clara

Thanks everyone. I've decided NOT to go tanning. I've been using lemon juice on my skin and the redness and few redmarks are getting smaller and fading. I think it's the vitamin C and the bleaching agents. I don't want to live my life trying to battle wrinkles or anything so I'm going to stay safe.