Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I am starting Accutane tomorrow, would it be bad to go through with the microdermabrasion and chemical peel that I have scheduled for next Wednesday???

Will the effects have kicked in that soon?

I would seriously reconsider going forward with the procedure. Most people don’t understand how quickly Accutane effects their skin until they do something like this and suffer the results. Both microdermabrasion and chemical peels are extremely harsh things to do to Accutaned-skin. When you are on Accutane, even for one week, it restructures your skin so rapidly that the reaction to either a peel or microdermabrasion could be detrimental.

Additionally, there are some cases where people have their initial breakout around the first week of Accutane. When your acne is active, most estheticians won’t go forward with things like this because the potential for scarring. If they are willing to go through with it while your face is still active, steer clear. They’re probably just in it for the money.

Accutane is going to handle the acne situation. Make clearing up your top priority. Place it over getting rid of red marks and scars and place it over beauty treatments. Be gentle to your skin while you are on Accutane. I know our first reaction is to be as nasty as possible to our skin in order to clear it up but more now than ever, you will need to be extra-careful. Cetaphil cleansers and moisturizers are gentle enough to use often. You might find that you aren’t thrilled with Cetaphil so you can slowly attempt to use other products such as Neutrogena, Dove and Oil of Olay.

If you still want to have these things done, please wait to start your Accutane treatment.

When your acne is active, most estheticians won’t go forward with things like this because the potential for scarring.  If they are willing to go through with it while your face is still active, steer clear. They’re probably just in it for the money.

In my personal experience, both peels and microdermabrasion made my acne 10x worse. I probably wouldn't be on Accutane right now if I hadn't have had those procedures done. I would be very very careful about doing anything like that while you have active acne.

Mae

I had a peel when my acne first erupted and it caused more grief than anything else. Anytime I’ve had microdermabrasion in the past, my skin has been clear. Microdermabrasion was supposed to erase fine lines and some scarring. It did neither. It felt like I would have been better buying St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub and going to town. Seriously reconsider this. I would feel terrible for you if it made your skin worse.