Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darcy945

Fraxel Laser Treatments

Hello. I'm new to this. I have been reading messages for a while though.

I have been dealing with acne scarring for about 20 years now. I had dermabrasion done (very unhappy with the results) and Smoothbeam - results were okay. I can say the only good thing about the acne scarring is that I am over 40 and people think that I am in college, or even highschool. I have two teenage boys and people think that I am their sister instead of their mother. So - all of us suffering from acne scars - at least there is some consolation.

I also find it interesting how aware we sufferers of acne scars are so aware of lighting. I work in an elementary school with very stark flourescent lighting and I hate it. If only we could all just live by candle light - I for one would be happy.

Anyway, I am scheduled for five sessions of the fraxel laser. The first one will be on March 8, and the remaining every two weeks apart. I intend to let everyone here know how well it works after the five sessions. I don't have my hopes up too high - but I'd be happy with about a 60 percent improvement. I will try to take before and after pictures. eusa_think.gif

Hello.  I'm new to this.  I have been reading messages for a while though.

I have been dealing with acne scarring for about 20 years now.  I had dermabrasion done (very unhappy with the results) and Smoothbeam - results were okay.  I can say the only good thing about the acne scarring is that I am over 40 and people think that I am in college, or even highschool.  I have two teenage boys and people think that I am their sister instead of their mother. So - all of us suffering from acne scars - at least there is some consolation.

I also find it interesting how aware we sufferers of acne scars are so aware of lighting.  I work in an elementary school with very stark flourescent lighting and I hate it.  If only we could all just live by candle light - I for one would be happy.

Anyway, I am scheduled for five sessions of the fraxel laser.  The first one will be on March 8, and the remaining every two weeks apart.  I intend to let everyone here know how well it works after the five sessions.  I don't have my hopes up too high - but I'd be happy with about a 60 percent improvement.  I will try to take before and after pictures.  eusa_think.gif

Darcy:

Good luck with your Treatments, You will find quite a few FRAXEL vets on this site. I had my 4th treatment almost 7 weeks ago and so far so good. I would be interested in the power setting your doctor uses on you. The stronger the setting the more it will hurt (sorry to say) I think the average is a setting of 8 mj's which I do not think is strong enough to do much for acne scarring. I had mine done as high as 10 mj's which did hurt a bit with my cheeks and chin revisited at 12 mj's (but a lower density of laser zones per area) I think to improve acne scarring you have to go as aggresive as possible to cause the deep healing. My biggest benifit to date is that my skin is much less Oiley and I have not had a break out in almost 2 months. My skin tone is also improved and the Shallowing of the acne scars is also quite noticable (maybe 30% improvement and the improvements keep comming and I may be a very happy camper in a few more months) I do not think i will get 60% improvement even if I have another 2 treatments but you never know (that would be great!) Many of us FRAXEL vets

started our treatments last year just as the fraxel was being introduced nationaly.

I understand pain management and the laser settings are getting better and people are having full face fraxels at level 14 mj's!!!! If that is the case then I think 6 aggresive treatments at 14 can really produce some great results by extrapolating what I have gotten so far with 4 treatments at a lower setting.

Let me know what kind of pain management creams your doctor uses.

Regarding BAD LIGHTING it is amazing how good I now look in Neutral lighting but once I am directly under those nasty floursent lights every ding and dent Screams for attention LOL (I think the guy who invented floursent lighting was working for plastic surgeans LOL) If we could just replace all those nasty tubes with soft light bulbs the whole world will feel better about itself and it would be the end of all wars (ok maybe that is an exageration) Good luck

do you have any data to support that hypothesis that 8mj won't help with acne scarring but 12mj will???

I know the higher the energy, the deeper the area of thermal damage, but i think it depends on how deep your scarring is......

do you have any data to support that hypothesis that 8mj won't help with acne scarring but 12mj will???

I know the higher the energy, the deeper the area of thermal damage, but i think it depends on how deep your scarring is......

The doctor who did the Fraxel said the Higher (the deeper) the laser the more effictive the result of Collagen production and the raising of wrinkles/Scars.

She seemed to think the more mild settings would NOT make me happy with regard to acne scar improvement. It seems to make sence after all if you had fraxel done at level 2 or 3 you would probably not get much of any benifit.

Of course you do get to the point where TOOmuch power becomes a problem but apparently level 14 is now considered safe (in 6 months people maybe doing level 16 but I am sure they would need to be sedated! LOL)

Darcy:

Good luck with your Treatments,  You will find quite a few FRAXEL vets on  this site.  I had my 4th treatment almost 7 weeks ago and so far so good.  I would be interested in the power setting your doctor uses on you.  The stronger the setting the more it will hurt (sorry to say)  I think the average is a setting of 8 mj's which I do not think is strong enough to do much for acne scarring.  I had mine done as high as 10 mj's which did hurt a bit with my cheeks and chin revisited at 12 mj's (but a lower density of laser zones per area)  I think to improve acne scarring you have to go as aggresive as possible to cause the deep healing.  My biggest benifit to date is that my skin is much less Oiley and I have not had a break out in almost 2 months.  My skin tone is also improved and the Shallowing of the acne scars is also quite noticable (maybe 30% improvement and the improvements keep comming and I may be a very happy camper in a few more months)  I do not think i will get 60% improvement even if I have another 2 treatments but you never know (that would be great!)  Many of us FRAXEL vets

started our treatments last year just as the fraxel was being introduced nationaly.

I understand pain management and the laser settings are getting better and people are having full face fraxels at level 14 mj's!!!!  If that is the case then I think 6 aggresive treatments at 14 can really produce some great results by extrapolating what I have gotten so far with 4 treatments at a lower setting.

Let me know what kind of pain management creams your doctor uses.

Regarding BAD LIGHTING it is amazing how good I now look in Neutral lighting but once I am directly under those nasty floursent lights every ding and dent Screams for attention LOL (I think the guy who invented floursent lighting was working for plastic surgeans LOL)  If we could just replace all those nasty tubes with soft light bulbs the whole world will feel better about itself and it would be the end of all wars (ok maybe that is an exageration)  Good luck

LOL - on your comment about "ending all wars"! Anyway, my doctor said she was going to use the same medication that dentists use (I guess that would be novacaine) in addition to the the topical anesthetic. I think I'll ask for the high setting if that does, in fact, create better results. When I had Smoothbeam done I was at a very high setting and it wasn't really too painful. I might as well get the most for my money - I am being charged $500 per session for just my cheeks and chin area. I'm glad that you're happy with your results thus far. It would be great if someone came out with a good, permanent filler. Having something last maybe 6 months isn't long enough for me to have that done yet. I'll come back and let you know how my first Fraxel session went. eusa_pray.gif

LOL - on your comment about "ending all wars"!  Anyway, my doctor said she was going to use the same medication that dentists use (I guess that would be novacaine) in addition to the the topical anesthetic.  I think I'll ask for the high setting if that does, in fact, create better results.  When I had Smoothbeam done I was at a very high setting and it wasn't really too painful.  I might as well get the most for my money - I am being charged $500 per session for just my cheeks and chin area.  I'm glad that you're happy with your results thus far.  It would be great if someone came out with a good, permanent filler.  Having something last maybe 6 months isn't long enough for me to have that done yet.  I'll come back and let you know how my first Fraxel session went. eusa_pray.gif

Good luck and please keep us posted. I have heard about Novacain injections to numb up the face (trust me if you are going to get aggresive with the laser you dont want to feel the HOT tip slowly going over your face OUCH) LOL I too am waiting for a better filler and will probably give scuptra a try in a few months.