Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prufrockslove

prufrockslove's log

I'll try to keep a log, but first a little background info.

I'm 24, turning 25 in August. The last time I saw clear skin, I was 10. My family has a history of acne problems.

In the last 14 years, I've tried every over the counter product available. I've taken birth control pills, erithromycin (I probably didn't spell that right), tetracycline, and Accutane. I've used Differin gel, prescription benzoyl peroxide, Proactiv, Retin-A, and more that I can't remember.

My siblings and several cousins have all taken Accutane as well. The adults in my family have acne scars and adult acne.

I had cystic acne until using Accutane at 17. Thankfully, the worst of the acne cleared up after my five months on Accutane. My skin was never completely clear, but it looked a LOT better. But as time passes, it is breaking out more and more and now it's not high school that I have to face with acne, but a professional career.

This past month, I tried the oil cleansing method of face washing that other people had raved about on other forums. Did not work for me. After a month, my skin was MUCH worse and red all over.

I stopped that on February 26. Surfed the web and found acne.org and read about the regimen. I've tried everything else, so why not?

This is what I'm currently using:

Morning:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser

Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment

Oil of Olay Complete All Day Moisture Lotion SPF 15 - sensitive skin

Night:

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask (I use this at night because it seems to be better about getting all the makeup off than the other cleanser)

Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment

Oil of Olay Complete All Day Moisture Lotion SPF 15 - sensitive skin

I do wear makeup when I go out and to work, all oil-free and made for oily/acne prone skin.

I'm not using a lot of benzoyl peroxide yet, just the half of one finger length since this is my first week, but I can already see that it's clearing up the breakouts that the oil cleansing method caused.

My husband, that lucky dog, never washes his face with anything other than regular body soap in the shower and has great skin. And judging from teen photos of him, has always had great skin. Just one day that I don't have to cover up active blemishes (I always have to cover up scars) would be nice. ninja.gif

I'll try to put up some photos soon.

It seems like you have a really good skincare regime going!!

All the luck!!

If you do notice more breakouts though, it may be because of the moisturizer, especially using that one at night. Sometimes Oil of Olay can be to heavy for acne-prone skin. Some of there moisturizers contain ingredients that don't agree well with acne also.

Otherwise, the other products your using usually work very very well for acne.

Thanks for the feedback, 18yochick biggrin.gif I'm not settled on one moisturizer yet, still experimenting to find one I like. I used to use one by Purpose, but I never really liked the way it felt.

Here's two photos taken February 26, the day I stopped the oil cleansing method and started the regimen detailed on acne.org. Ignore the way I seem to look mad. I wasn't mad, I was sick that day and felt terrible. eusa_sick.gif

user posted image

user posted image

I'll try to take a new photo this weekend, to show one week progress. I like to take progress photos in natural light before putting on makeup to get a more truthful photo.

I'm having to talk myself into posting those photos and gather up my courage. It's not as bad as it was 7 years ago, before the Accutane, but this breakout from the oil cleansing method was one of the worst I've had since then. sad.gif