Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Calyopi

Minocycline is helping bigtime

Hi all, i started taking Minocycline on monday night and using The Regimine since Monday as well and what do you know my three big spots are fading and healing! And no new cysts are forming!

Even the big cysts on my jawline are decreasing in size by half and are going away.

I don't know if it's the regimen or the minocycline or the combo of the two but it's working for me. I have mild cystic acne so if you have it too you might want to try it. We'll see what happens the rest of the week. I feel like I have my face back!

Thank you Regimen Dan!

4th day on Mino and my cysts are all but gone, just red spots I can easily cover with makeup. No new ones have formed which is a miracle, one Always formed when the other would heal and so on and so on.

Question, when my red spots are healed completely, do I continue to Mino (I have 25 days left @ 100mg twice a day) then 2 refills, or do I get off it and see how my skin does just on the regimen?

Thanks everyone!

Rachel

what the hell, the regimen isn't what's healing your zits you realize..? It's the minocycline. You stay on it FOREVER, or until you become immune. Minocycline and doxycline are both tetracycline antibiotics, and are practically the same. Minocycline seems to be more widely used and effective. Keep using the antibiotics, thats whats helping...

what the hell, the regimen isn't what's healing your zits you realize..? It's the minocycline. You stay on it FOREVER, or until you become immune. Minocycline and doxycline are both tetracycline antibiotics, and are practically the same. Minocycline seems to be more widely used and effective. Keep using the antibiotics, thats whats helping...

This backs up my personal theory that acne isnt always caused by overgrowth of bacteria.. Well, I guess thats fact.. But what im trying to say is- I dont think antibiotics can kill certain types of acne because they arent caused by bacteria.

I think my acne is primarily because my sebaceous glands are idiots, and dont work properly. If my acne was from an overgrowth of bacteria..the antibiotic would at least have had SOME effect as of right now..2-3 weeks into treatment. So far- NOTHING. I think what I need is Accutane or..something that affects my sebaceous glands.

I guess after 3 months, there would be a decrease in acne in people without overgrowth of bacteria..simply because its killing everything- but alot of people say even after 3 months, they still have acne, just not as "inflamed".

So..yeah this was kind of a pointless post but it was interesting to me.

yes, antibiotics do not kill pimples. You still get breakouts all the time, and it sucks. Thats why im trying to get accutane.

try a B5 / antibiotic combo... thats what i'm doing, attacking it from both angles.

6g of B5

100mg of mino

daily

Stan- I noticed you have mild acne (or moderate) and want accutane. Another!!! Haha... See antibiotics work SO well for some people, and for others..they really dont do much at all. Maybe accutane is what you need to really stomp the shit out of the breakouts.

yeah, its not that my acne is cystic. I have inflamed mild-moderate acne. I do everything in my power to stop breakouts, and they keep coming. I had to cut off my long hair becuz i would get nasty cystic things on my forehead because of it. I have no comudugenic products at all. I eat very well, and have tried tetracycline and minacycline with the usual topicals(retin-a micro, differin, retin-a, bp, clindamycin). They have decreased the size/inflammation of the zits, but i still get them, and there are still red marks. It's annoying. Mine is somewhat spreadout, so it doesn't look too horrible. I just hope my doc prescribes me accutane, because i need it.

Yea, see- it pisses me off that we have to have acne at all. My dr said "Heres a spot treatment" ... I was like.. No I dont want to treat any spots, you need to make it so I have no spots to treat. Thats what I pay you for.

Haha- No thanks, I would like no acne at all instead of .. here lets treat it as it pops up. Thats just stupid to me.

As for red marks.. I have a nifty collection of those buggers. I hate them but they love me, and dont want to go away. Hopefully time will erase them along with the acne.

No not yet- I talk lots about it because I want it. Haha I dont have it just yet- My dr didnt rule it out for me, cuz my acne is cystic. She wants me to try Doxy for 8 weeks first.

I am jumping the shark, though- I have lots of stuff going on and cant have acne and thats why I keep bothering her. Soon enough, hopefully, Ill get it.

Nah, I wouldnt say *better* because yours is obviously quite stubborn. So even though its considered mild... its a bitch to clear up, and you need accutane to do the job. I think youll get it if ur persistant and show them how upset it makes you. That seems to be the trend going on right now.

Guest Craigems

For me minocycline only worked for a little while then it plateaued and then it was accutane from then on.

Everyone's acne is slightly different, unfortunately. That's why many doctors try a variety of treatments to isolate what's exacerbating your acne. In some people, it's the bacteria; others, the overproduction of oil or an inability of the hair follicle to clear itself of excess crap. This is all related to how well the skin works. Poor genetics, diet, general health, they all factor in somehow. The lucky one's find something that helps counteract their own skin's deficiencies early on.

minocyline didn't work at all for me sad.gif though my brother got mod acne on his face and it owrked really well for him - he is almost clear now and has only been taking it a few months

though my acne lookes like follictitus - not oily at all, antibiotic didn't do a thing, neither is 'tane so far mind..............