Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melissawallace

Research with adolescents experiencing acne

[attachmentid=582]Hi everyone

I am a psychology PhD student at the University of the West of England, attached to the Centre for Appearance Research. I am currently conducting research with teenagers (between 10 and 20 yrs old) who are experiencing acne or have done so within the last five years.

There are two parts to this research: one involves completing two short questionnaires that explore how young people with acne feel about various aspects of their lives and themselves. The other part of the research involves conducting one to one interviews with teenagers, exploring how acne may have impacted on young people's thoughts, feelings and behaviour. All data collected will remain completely confidential and your name will not be attached to any of the data.

The results of this research will be fed back to the Acne Support Group as well as health professionals who work with adolescents with acne, in order to increase their understanding of your experiences and ultimately, improve the care and support provided to young people with acne.

If you think you might be interested, please take a look at the attached information sheet, telling you more about the research. You can take part by completing a questionnaire, taking part in an interview, or both. You decide. Unfortunately this research is only open to teenagers living within the UK, as I am not able to travel beyond the UK to conduct interviews. If you would like further information, please contact me at [email protected], or call me on 0117 3283939.

Thanks

Melissa

acne_info_sheet__no_image_.doc

hey Melissa,

im a psychology undergraduate doing my dissertation on the psychological impact of acne and acne scarring...i recently invited just over 150 participants from this forum - although im ethically obliged not to give any specific details of data, if you like, i'll be glad to disscuss my general findings. Also, since im very much still in the dissertation drafting process, and since you're more qualified in the field, any direction to useful recent research that you know of, or think may be appropriate will be gratefully accepted, ofcourse, i have some too if you need it... but i doubt that...lol, anyway goodluck with your research, i hope you find what your looking for... eusa_angel.gif

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply. Did you collect data from 150 people? I'm impressed! I have been finding it difficult to get people to take part in my research. I assume you did a questionnaire study? Yes, I would be very interested in hearing more about your findings. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] I am happy to pass on references for some of the papers I have found, in case you've not come across them. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Melissa

hey Melissa,

im a psychology undergraduate doing my dissertation on the psychological impact of acne and acne scarring...i recently invited just over 150 participants from this forum - although im ethically obliged not to give any specific details of data, if you like, i'll be glad to disscuss my general findings. Also, since im very much still in the dissertation drafting process, and since you're more qualified in the field, any direction to useful recent research that you know of, or think may be appropriate will be gratefully accepted, ofcourse, i have some too if you need it... but i doubt that...lol, anyway goodluck with your research, i hope you find what your looking for... eusa_angel.gif

Hi Melissa,

I finished my MSc in Medical Sociology last year and for my dissertation, i wrote a paper on acne. I looked at the psychological impact and effects, but as i was studying sociology i adpated to sociological reasoning, which has never ever been done before. I came up with some theories of my own and have been looking around places for a PHd (Bristol and Leeds being the main two). I think my theories would easily be proved right, your work may even indicate that.

anway if you should want to hear anymore about this please do get in contact. The social theory behind looking into acne hasnt really been looked at, which arguably is appauling, particularly when you consider acne has been academically referred to as a 'socially disabling' disorder.

[email protected]

Hey all, sorry for the delay ... so much work going on all the time

Melissawallace - I have sent you an email...

Gregula - How about a outline of your idea...or is it like patent pending lol i guess its the same way...

u know u really should atleast reply... eusa_think.gif anyway, im done with my research so far...summary results are in annocements...goodnight