Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frances

Foreign Movie Recommendations

I'm posting this here - because the lounge seems to be somewhere people go to clip their toenails now.

Anyway...went to "Magdalene Sisters" yesterday. A very powerful and grim irish flick. If you're catholic you may want to brace yourself...shows the catholic church in a very brutal light. But I give it 4.5 stars.

Watched "The Kingdom" series by Lars Von Trier (Psychocandy you would be proud) recently... wow fantastic.

Always looking for recommendations myself particularly of foreign and non-hollywood films if you have any suggestions?

Hi Frances.

Yes! "The Kingdom" is very good! I really want to watch it again but I'm gonna wait until after I move. :evil:

"Magdalene Sisters" sounds like a movie I'd like - I'll try to get a hold of it.

I'd like to recommend "festen".

Yeah ...I have heard so much about Festen...I am going to go out and rent that one tonight. Great suggestion thanks.

I am glad to help. :evil: I should watch more movies but I have this thing with always buying them instead of renting them...hmm...makes things a lot more expensive. I also feel like I havent really watched a movie if I havent seen it at the cinema. :?

It doesn't help that we are both invisible...how do I know where you are hiding? lol

Well here is my list of top 5 foreign movies...excluding dancer in the dark and his other one which I have forgotten the name of.

off the top of my head

farinelli

cinema paradiso

horseman on the roof

to live

scent of green papya

raise the red lantern

farewell my concubine

once were warriors

the piano

well that was way more than 5 and I had to inclde the last 2 to be patritoic.

Well now I'm not invisible anymore and neither are you I see.

I know I have seen these 3:

farewell my concubine

once were warriors

the piano

:evil: They are very good. I'd like to see...I dont know if they are foreign films but I guess to me they are :

"Apt Pupil" and "Gods and Monsters" and "Charlotte Grey"

Hi guys, I'm gonna come hang out here too having seen Ben's post on how to make a stud - wtf???!!

Foreign movies: I saw the Kingdom a while ago with a v. good friend of mine who's Danish, she loved it, I thought it was weird but kinda cool. Then when I was in Copenhagen her brother was working at that hospital & I refused to meet him there because I was scared of it!

Have you guys seen El Crimen del Padre Amaro yet? This is a Mexican movie with Gael Garcia Bernal of Y Tu Mama Tambien and Amores Perros fame - I preferred the latter to the former. Also, Once Were Warriors is great - does it really count as a foreign movie Frances? I didn't like The Piano so much though. And I liked Eat Drink Man Woman (is this right??) an excellent Chinese movie.

Then when I was in Copenhagen her brother was working at that hospital  & I refused to meet him there because I was scared of it!

Baaa haa - yes I can well imagine that. Kingdom was a really odd mix of surreal, fantasy, documentary and soap opera. All in all most unnerving.

I haven't seen El Crimen del Padre Amaro. But I really enjoyed Y Tu Mama Tambien and am keen to see more mexican movies I think the only other ones I have seen are the Milagro Beanfield Wars (which is directed by Robert Redford and doesn't count), Frida (also doesn't count) and El Mariarchi.

Also, Once Were Warriors is great - does it really count as a foreign movie Frances?

Anything that is not made in Hollywood and doesn't sppon feed the audience is foreign as far as I am concerned. Plus there is that other test - if an american tells you you're accent is cute than that qualifies any movie your country produces as foreign.

Have just had a PM exchange with Adam - no doubt he will also be reclining to our international section also - afterall he is british!! lol

I have seen Gods and Monsters and I liked it. Interesting casting Brendan Fraser and Ian McKellan together

Hey! I was born at that hospital.....wow....that would explain a lot of things. :shock:

I want to see those films (apt pupil and gods and monsters) because mckellan is in them - he was very good in "othello" - a play i saw on tv - poor folks like me cant afford the theatre *L*

Anything that is not made in Hollywood and doesn't sppon feed the audience is foreign as far as I am concerned. Plus there is that other test - if an american tells you you're accent is cute than that qualifies any movie your country produces as foreign.  

I like that definition :evil:

yes I just posted a rude reply to the stud question so I think I'll stay away from the lounge for a little bit. Maybe Mercer will deal with it - poor thing, I wouldn't like that job.

Haven't you seen Amores Perros? I really recommend it, I liked it much better than Y Tu Mama Tambien. Same cutie-pie actor too, and you guys will like him because he presented something at the Oscars and made an anti-war statement, but was so charming about it the audience didn't know what to do and applauded him. Anyway, AP is pretty heavy & depressing, not Hollywood fare at all. Oh and another movie I LOVED was No Man's Land, a Bosnian movie. Those Yugosalvs (or ex-Yugoslavs) know how to do tragi-comedy alright. Also the Kusturica movies, Underground etc.

yes I just posted a rude reply to the stud question so I think I'll stay away from the lounge for a little bit. Maybe Mercer will deal with it - poor thing, I wouldn't like that job.

Whoops...so did I! Maybe I should go and take a paracetemol and give this place a rest for a while.

I'm posting this here - because the lounge seems to be somewhere people go to clip their toenails now.  

LOL!! you said it girl. Where are these childrens' parents anyway?? :roll:

I'm from México. And I have to say that "Amores Perros" (Dog's Loves) is THE movie. I recommend it widely. "EL Crimen del Padre Amaro" (Father Amaro's Crime) is not that good, but interesting. I didn't like "Y tu mamá también"

Just wanted to ask... do you know what really means "Amores Perros"?. The translated title doesn't tell you a thing about the movie, because in fact is a Mexican slang

And I can recomend you another Mexican movie "Like Water for Chocolate" (Como Agua Para Chocolate). It's from the 80', but is a great one. Is the one who started the new era of Mexican Cinema

Ah yes..I have seen "Like Water for Chocolate" ...fabulous. And that reminds me of a a couple of other great food oriented flicks....Babettes Feast (danish or finnish i think - psychocandy will probably clarify) and Tampopo (Japanese) and of course Delicatessen (french). All absolutely worth watching if you haven't seen.

Hi Makeda,

The best translation I have seen for Amores Perros is "Love's a bitch". I am in awe of that translator, got the meaning and the tone and even the dog metaphor! In general release I think they called it "Dog Loves" which doesn't even mean anything. I'm not sure though as I didn't see it in English, I saw it in Zagreb with Serbo-Croatian subtitles!

Hi Vanessa!

You are so right! If it's translated as "Dog Loves" you just don't get it. For Mexican slang, the word "dog", besides the animal, means that something is very, very hard.

It seems the translator of the Serbo-coratan version sure knows how to do it!

let me tell you little more about its making! The director acutally visited the fighting rings to see the surroundings.

It reminds me something of "Antonia". I don't remember if this is a Swedish film, but it's great