Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest fatman_uk

Zinc - What Kind?!?!

Guest fatman_uk

I've read in another post about Zinc supplementation that Zinc Chelate is recommended, but i wanna know if it will still work if i have another kind of Zinc.

I've seen Zinc Oxide but i have got Zinc Sulphate at the moment. Only because its all the local Boots chemist had.

Do i REALLY need Chelate, or will any kinda Zinc do?

-Gaz

Fatman...you'll curse me for this. But when I was 16 or so popping zinc was all the rage. And honestly it didn't have any influence over my nor anyone elses skin. I must have known 10 people taking it at the time and we all ended up thinking it was a crock. Unless you can find some really bonafide evidence that it will work or that the supplementation has changed save your cash. Just being honest.

hi guys,

actually there is evidence that zinc supplementation helps with acne. Do a search around this site - veneficus posted a study somewhere. I don't think it matters too much what kind of zinc you take, & 25mg a day should be enough. Anyway, it can't do any harm.

good luck!

vanessa

Zinc regulates proper levels of vitamin E in the blood and is essential for the absorption of vitamin A. It is required for protein synthesis and collagen (skin) formation. It promotes healing of wounds and boosts the immune system (so important when fighting off acne bacteria, especially cystic acne). Some evidence suggests it is also a powerful anti-oxidant (protects EFAs). It is also said to help regulate the activity of the skin's oil glands. Needless to say, it is very important in the prevention and elimination of acne.

Not only that, zinc is essential for proper growth, sexual maturation, involved in the action of insulin, growth hormone, testosterone, and estrogen (key nutrient in hormonal balance and utilization). It is also involved in more that 200-enzymatic reactions.

Zinc is found in foods like egg yolks, fish, legumes, mushrooms, soy lecithin, soybeans, sunflower seed, and whole grains.

Herbs that contain zinc include alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, dandelion, eyebright, milk thistle, mullein, nettle, sarsaparilla, and wild yam.

There are several supplemental forms of zinc, most of which are not absorbed very well by the body. Stick with either Zinc Picolinate (a form of chelated zinc), and Zinc Monothionine (also known as Opti Zinc). A little zinc goes a long way. It's not really necessary to take more than 100 mg a day.

And lastly, excess sweating and exercise put an increased demand for zinc on the body. If you are sweating a lot and exercising add a little extra zinc to your diet.

-Shawn-

Hey Shawn,

What's your source for this info? 100mg a day, damn, that's a lot! No reason to take so much, 25mg is perfectly adequate. I posted on this a while ago with references to articles about zinc toxicity.

I too have heard this thing about zinc picolinate/citrate vs. zinc gluconate, but never from a credible source.

I take a 50mg supplement once a day, and it contains both gluconate and picolinate forms of zinc. Chelated means its bound to other minerals, supposedly to make it easier for the body to absorb, but in reality there is no proof chelation does that, and it just lets them charge more money for the tablets. Still have ten weeks before I should see any result from the zinc though.

Yeah, I just meant basically to not go over 100 mg cuz of zinc toxicity. I currently take 60 mg a day....and I love the stuff, I believe it's why the big scar on my left cheek is hardly noticeable now.

-Shawn-