Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul86

Getting so depressed

Well, I've been on accutane for about 2 months now, and lately I've been feeling so depressed. I don't want to just quit the accutane after coming this far. It's also my last resort now. What should I do? sad.gif

Well..Lets examine your depression.

Is it a depression where you are upset about something..such as your skin, or school..or something situational.. Or do you want to off yourself???

Im sure its situational..but make sure you tell a friend about it so that they can check in on you. You COULD tell your derm but you run the risk of her taking you off of it.

What are your results like so far? Whats your dosage?

I just feel uninterested in everything. Nothing's motivating me to do anything. I'm doing poorly in my classes and in everything else. I'm hardly eating anything, stopped working out, and lost 20 lbs since I started the accutane.

My results have been pretty good. I've been on 50 mg the whole time. The only thing that's bothering me is the scarring that I'm going to be left with.

Well thats not good. I think the best thing is that you recognized that you feel disinterested. Maybe everyone is just boring and youre realizing it now that you have beautiful skin.. Jk But I do think you should moniter this.

Start working out again. Make yourself do it- I know its hard when you arent motivated..but its that first step that changes everything's course. Then, start eating better and hanging out with your friends. Depression is something you can overcome, especially because youve recognized it. When I feel a little off, I make myself do whatever I dont feel like doing so that Im over the "initial hump" of starting.

Hope you feel better!!

Thanks Frankie.

I really think I should start working out again, too. There's nothing stopping me. I stopped in the first place cause I hurt my arm, but I can be careful not to do that again. I'll probably only start eating later. It's when I'm depressed that I don't eat.

Youre welcome!! smile.gif

Well, after your workout I bet youll be hungry!!

Dont let depression be what takes you off Accutane... Honestly, try to overcome it now before it "sets in". If you remain motivated and interested in activities..it doesnt let you become preoccupied with depression. If you notice yourself getting worse, or feeling even more down..please dont hesitate to get help from your doctor and/or parents! Thats SO important.

But for now..Try to get back into the swing of things. Im depressed as hell right now- But its situational. Im not on accutane... and the meds I am on are not helping so Im frusterated. Acne sucks, and I hope we all find a way to get rid of it.

Hangin there man...You can do it.If you ever feel sad and feel like talking you know we got your back.

hey Paul,

im sorry to hear youre down bud. like frankie, id first look to something situational. i remember when my skin got really bad last summer, i got really depressed, started getting in fights w/ my parents, always being upset, leaving the house, etc. def. not a good time. but it was all over my skin. im wondering why you cant pinpoint something for yourself thats really bothering you. are you sure there isnt anything underlying?

anyways, even if not, i wouldnt panic. try and get yourself re-interested in things; start working out again (cmon, abs = good! no girl is gonna say no to those, hehe wink.gif) and try and get on top of your school work. with all the physical and mental exertion, it seems to follow that youd get your appetite back, and hopefully get the entire ball rolling. it seems as though youre in a bit of a rut, which i wouldnt worry too much about. unless youre having major problems getting out of it, or if the depression really begins to worry you, then i would consider stopping the accutane. but i know its worked for you, and im sure you want to finish your course. use that as your motivation to try and start your normal activities up again. if things are really difficult, then maybe its time to consider accutane the culprit. in that event, talking to your derm would be best, as your safety and happiness is #1, and if the tane is messing w/ that, its not the right drug for you at this time.

if you want to test whether its the accutane or not, perhaps ask your derm about discontinuining it, see how you feel, and try starting it up again if/when the depression subsides. if it comes back, then youl have a greater indication that it may be the accutane. this actually happened w/ a patient at the clinic i go to; he'd gotten depressed, gone off the accutane, recovered, and then had experienced depression again upon restarting accutane. its different for everyone.

anyways this is hella long now, but i really hope things work out for the best. we're all here for you, Paul smile.gif

take care sweetie!

Lisa

Paul: I agree with the above posters, Frankie and PunkRock, that you should take an assessment of your current situation. I also couldn’t agree more with the benefits of exercise. I recently went back to the gym and it is such a natural high when I am done working out. All of those endorphins pumping through my body just elevate me.

Also, depending on your location, it could be related to the weather. It’s currently turning into a blizzard in Jersey and the lack of sunlight, the traveling conditions and the bitter cold always make me feel lower.

Are you going through your initial breakout right now? It could also be related to that. My lowest low on Accutane took place during that time period.

As far as your treatment goes, the best thing you can do is not project into the future. Worry about what you are able to do now: take Accutane, drink water, work up, possibly seek counseling. If you start focusing on your scars, you’ll bring yourself down. It isn’t worth it since you are taking Accutane and there is little you can do in order to get rid of scars right now.

Good luck and please remember that it will get better.

Hey Paul,

Do not worry bro. Acne is the toughest thing to deal with not depression. You have already tamed the bigger monster, so it is easy to get rid of the smaller one.

For depression, let us see, the most imp thing is to keep yourself occupied. If for some time you do not enjoy working out, do some other fun things like visit some place with friends, pick up a hobby etc. If you do not like your friends, you can make new ones mabye online. You can play video games smile.gif, when I do not get anyone to hang out with due to whatever reason, I play online video games and that is a lot of fun.

Do not worry about classes too much, everyone has phases of falling grades and high grades, that is no big deal. Keep yourself occupied and interested, there are really hundreds of ways of doing it.

Good luck...

Yo,

I was in the same situation as you... First month on tane I was really depressed and did absolutely nothing. When I got the blood test back my triglycerides were high (300 from 50 the past month) so I got really motivated to get back in shape. I started lifting 4-5 times a week and haven't looked back. Now nearing the end of month 4 i've actually put on 7-10lbs of muscle and am stronger than I ever was before tane when I used to lift 3x a week. I'd suggest concentrating on one thing at a time and doing the best you can and eventually things will look up for you.

I'm getting a little desperate.  I switched over to "Sotret" from amnesteem.

I have not seen any improvement yet.  I know it's all in my head, but that was the point where it just became ridiculous.

My first month was amazing.  Month 2 is 3 weeks in and not working out for me.  I hope I clear up soon.  Argh.

Thank you for all of your replies everyone! I really didn't expect that many.

Lisa... I really like your posts, even though they're really long and have no structure tongue.gif A lot of them have made me cry. Arpazia... I've always gotten the same thing from working out. It was one thing that kept me happy. I decided to start again tonight, and I'm feeling pretty good right now. I had my initial breakout pretty early on in my course and things are looking really good right now. I did decide to stop taking the accutane until my next derm. I just hope I don't start breaking out again though. I also think I'm going to seek help, too.

Guest Craigems

Paul, I know i seem straight to the point mate, but get a hobby. Join a gym, or try and get into something active where you can work alone. Focus on your hobby it will give you something to strive for in this time. All of us have gone through this stage at sometime, i joined the gym this was about a year and a half ago, and to be honest it was bloody stupid .... coz of all the mirrors n stuff but.. no i stuck with it, i have trained real hard, i've killed alot of time and worrying about acne.

Seriously i urge alot of you guys to do something like this, it takes your mind off your condition and dont tell me nooo i cant ... I think i got some of the worst acne i have seen yet on this board, so if i can do it you can do it! Just takes motivation, and plus in the long run... whats gonna be awsome is when your skins clear by the end of all this ... your body will be in top condition!!!! ready to pick up the ladies wink.gif

lol very straight to the point, but common its not worth worrying about some crappy condition no-one cept school children care about! so quit your isolation and get out!

smile.gif

Guest Craigems

I rekon plays a HUGE psychological role on people. Tell me would you be more happy without acne? common i'm dam sure you would be!

I dont know your background or life... but i did have something in common with you, and that was acne and its a bitch, and for me that was a huge psychological downfall for me. I realise now how much it prevented me from doing stuff!

Yeah, you're right. I'd be happier without the acne and scarring. I've had it pretty bad for 5 or 6 years now.

Good luck to you. I hope this passes for you Paul. I always get a little down during the winter, even once upon a time when I was clearskinned. Now with the acne, and the scarring, it makes everything seem a little worse than it actually is. I am on day 21 of accutane. And that is my motivation right now. I am not thinking bout this breakout I can't seem to get out of. I am thinking farther down the road, like when my skin clears and it doesn't hurt to smile again......... But ya, it's gets hard sometimes, and we all have bad days I'm sure. I started crying yesterday about my face. It passed in about 15-20 min. then I actually felt a little silly bout it because I know that I DO have something to look forward to. As for the scars, one thing at a time. I'll get rid of the acne first.

Thanks Frankie.

I really think I should start working out again, too. There's nothing stopping me. I stopped in the first place cause I hurt my arm, but I can be careful not to do that again. I'll probably only start eating later. It's when I'm depressed that I don't eat.

I decided to just start taking the accutane again, well, sort of because I started breaking out confused.gif

Good luck with your course, !!PaTiEnCe!!, and welcome to the boards smile.gif

hi paul

i remember reading on the internet that people with low body fat are more likely to have mood changes while on accutane. it's because accutane is like vit A and is fat soluble, it effects the cholestrol (sp?) in the brain.

~shineygal

I just feel uninterested in everything. Nothing's motivating me to do anything. I'm doing poorly in my classes and in everything else. I'm hardly eating anything, stopped working out, and lost 20 lbs since I started the accutane.

My results have been pretty good. I've been on 50 mg the whole time. The only thing that's bothering me is the scarring that I'm going to be left with.

I've been feeling pretty bad today. I was feeling a lot better during the few days I was off the 'tane though.

That's interesting, shineygal. My body fat is pretty low.

My derm is just doing a clinic at the hospital in town here, so I would have to call his home phone number. I've been a bit hesitant to do that. He said only to call him if it was important, so I don't know.

Guest Craigems

Call him, he gave it to you for a reason. I've called my derm on his mobile and he was happy i did. But then again it was to book an appointment with him for a visit on a matter lol which wasnt very important.

I've lowered my dose to 25 mg and I'm still feeling just as depressed and breaking out now, too. It's just awesome confused.gif

I've actually got my derm. appointment tomorrow though. Don't really know what's going to happen.

your depression is probably just a phase... i experienced it too the last time i was on accutane, but it went away after around the 3rd month. whenever i started feeling down, i would just look in the mirror & smile at how pretty the accutane was making my skin. wub.gif