Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm aware this is a birth control medication, but my doctor says the acne I have is cystic ((very big and painful along my jaw line, neck and mouth)) and is purely hormonal. I had been on Benzaclin and Doryx for about a year and a half, and that didn't really work. So my question is...Anyone else have cystic acne? and what treatments are working? Also, anyone else taking ortho?? Does it do -anything- for the skin? :?:

I have mild acne outbreaks and get the occasional cyst. I was told that my problem was hormonal too. So I went on ortho-tri cyclen about seven years ago, and it has helped with the smaller outbreaks. However, I find that if I take it correctly, at the exact same time every single day, it works wonders on my acne...if you don't take it at the same time though it can actually cause more acne. Too bad I'm a forgetful person or I probably wouldn't be on this board. Hope this helps. :evil:

ok girl--i have your exact acne problem

and ortho tri cyclen didnt do jack--it just made my acne WORSE WORSE WORSE when i stopped taking it

try spironolactone, its stops hormones at the oil gland--and has completely cleared up all traces of cystic acne on my face--which i didnt even have the much of UNTIL birth control--ak

hmm and try benzaclin in the morning and tazorac at night--i have like maybe 1 pimple now (and its that time of the month!) but the key is spironolactone, im sure of it!

I don't have cystic acne, but I did try birth control as a means of controlling the acne that I have and it didn't work. Birth control made me feel nauseated and sick. I was on birth control for years, and then one day just like that I started getting sick. I also tried BC with lower estrogen levels, and the patch. Nothing worked. Sometimes they say it's hormonal and they have no idea; it might not be hormonal. To know for sure if it's hormonal, they would have to do some lab work.

I've been on ortho-tri cyclen for 5 days now, and obviously I don't think I've seen results yet. But it makes me feel sooo sick to my stomach..a couple hours after I take it, I feel like I have to throw up constantly. Not good because I was on an airplane this morning and phew....I felt sick the entire time. But I'll give it a few months.

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 4 years, and just stopped taking it about 2 months ago :evil: Am now regretting that because I am more shiny now and can see new zits starting to form... I think it definently helped reduce the oil production by regulating my hormones. I'm gonna start it ASAP after my next period thats for sure, and no more going off it!!!

yeah getting off ortho is the pits--when i was ON it my acne was just a lil better, nothing great, but when i got off of it--all hell broke loose! but I say take ortho or yasmin if you need actual birth control--not purely for acne, its not worth it

I've seen quite a few postings on how acne came back even worse after the pill is stopped. Are we sopposed to be on it forever? Anyone asked the doctor on this?

Also anyone happens to know if between the pill and spironolactone, which one is safer? Thanks and good luck to those fighting the outbreak.

The pill is completely unnatural; it's like playing God. I've used it many a times in the past, and I don't anymore because they make me sick. But at the same time, I haven't heard anything bad about long-term side effects, and it's supposed to reduce your risk of some cancer (can't remember now which one). I think what happens is that your body gets souped up for reproduction again after you stop the pill. Actually, I'm much hornier without taking the pill. But that's besides the point :twisted:

i've been taking ortho for almost 2 months now...and honestly i have had no bad side effects besides the intitial break out which will hopefully clear in the next 2 months...but seriously...my cramps have diminished, i haven't gained or lost weight, i feel pretty awesome on it...honestly way better than i did before i started taking it....i think it's just different for everyone...only bad thing is i never really had cystic acne before i took it...just one maybe every few months at the time of the month....i'm hoping that it's flaring up and will go back to normal..i just started benzaclin...i think that will work...in the past bp has always cleared me....hope this helps...

It was the worst thing I ever did for my skin, the ortho. I got 30 plus cysts because of it. I hated it. If you have cystic acne, I'd do accutane. That's my two cents. Good luck. Message me whenever you like.

I took Ortho when i was a teen, it didn't agree with me, made me bleed constantly and it was supposed to be making my periods easier, HAH! I reacted much better to Loestrin FE.

I've been on ortho-tri cyclen for 5 days now, and obviously I don't think I've seen results yet. But it makes me feel sooo sick to my stomach..a couple hours after I take it, I feel like I have to throw up constantly.

I've been on ortho for a little over a month. I think it has actually helped my acne. However, I started it shortly after Dan's regimen, so it's hard to say what exactly has made a difference.But more importantly, there is a defference! It's effects are different for everyone. However, if your acne is hormonal I think it can really help. Ortho isn't the best for everyone though. But there are others to try.

Tricyclen helped me all through high school and stopped working when I was about 20 years old. It's acne helping effects might work for you, but from personal experience, it's not a permanent fix. I am now on yasmin (4months) and it doesn't seem to be hurting or helping.

I think it's definately something you should try. If it doesn't work you can always add spiro later.

dani

I'm on Yasmin which helps my skin. Yasmin has anti-androgens in it already (just like Spironolactone), and my gyno says Yasmin is the best BC for your skin.

I'm on Ortho tricyclen but also heard Yasmin was really good and that Yasmin is the one least likely to cause weight gain. I feel so bloated on the Ortho sad.gif

I'm aware this is a birth control medication, but my doctor says the acne I have is cystic ((very big and painful along my jaw line, neck and mouth)) and is purely hormonal. I had been on Benzaclin and Doryx for about a year and a half, and that didn't really work. So my question is...Anyone else have cystic acne? and what treatments are working? Also, anyone else taking ortho?? Does it do -anything- for the skin? :?:

Yes, I actually get cystic acne from going on BC. I wanted to go on it because I have a boyfriend... blah blah... you know. And after 7 Days of being on the pill (I've tried several kind) I start getting cysts on my lower jaw and neck... Its like little clusters of huge red bumps. That hurt and have a good deal of substance in them (if i try to extract them). Anyway... my doctor put me on antibiotics... and it helped... you should Try a topical creme and antibiotics...

Try the Ortho Tricyclen for a month or two. I am 4 days from finishing my first round of active pills, and at first I HATED this stuff. In the first week on it I had a pretty bad breakout. The thing that was making me want to stop taking it, though, was the constant nausea. Even when I took it at night I woke up with morning sickness that lasted 'til well into the afternoon. Fortunately I seem to have adjusted. I'm not a fan of the bloating, but that has gotten much better these past few days. Occasionally in the morning and a little throughout the day I still get little bouts of queasiness but nothing bad enough to stop me going about business as usual. The best part is the difference in my skin. I still have lots of annoying red marks, but have had NO active spots for a few days now. My skin is still oily but it doesn't get SO greasy SO quickly. If I'm seeing this difference in under 3 weeks, I think it's worth trying for a few months to see how it works out long term. I'm sure the St. Ives medicated scrub and BP lotion I've been using have also helped, but I never got such fast results with them before this pill. I would advise that anyone give this a try for at least the first month to see if it makes any difference and if you can get past the initial side effects. It might take a few months for some people to see results, as everybody is different and I might have had a slight advantage since I was on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for 6 months before I switched to the regular so the hormones weren't completely new to me, it's just a much higher dose of estrogen.

I've been on Ortho Tricyclen Lo for three years now, and I think it's helped my skin only a bit -- my skin is definitely better than it was 3 years ago, but I've changed a lot of things besides BC in that time, so it's hard to tell exactly what's been calming my acne down. That said, the Lo version of OTC has (unsurprisingly) lower doses of hormone than the regular version, so my skin might have cleared up more drastically had I taken the regular OTC. Keep in mind, though, that this isn't necessarily a reason to take the higher-dose version (or any birth control at all, for that matter), because there can be so many other side effects besides the skin-clearing one, and it's hard to predict how you will personally be affected. For example, I got the regular-dose version of OTC by mistake once, and it made me so moody that even if my acne did clear up during that time, there was no way I would have noticed it because I was spending most of my time being crazy. So I wouldn't recommend taking any birth control pill that clears your skin up but makes your life tough in other ways... Unfortunately, that may take some trial and error.