Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cj

meds that you might not be aware of

hello everyone~

i had severe cystic acne for about 8 years and after 5 long overdue years i finally encountered a magnificent dermatologist who allowed me to go on accutane, for i had exhausted every other possibly prescription acne medication. (we all know the controversy that revolves around accutane, right? so many doctors are fearful of prescribing it.) after 3 rounds of accutane, with 6 month periods of not taking the meds inbetween, i now have clear skin. i am very cognizant of the fact that there is a lot of debate regarding how many trials of accutane a person should be allowed to take, however, this is what i needed to do the job. with my situation the first trial definitely cleared up my skin better than it was before, but i was still suffering from cystic break-outs. after the second round my skin was very clear for about 6 months and then i began to break out terribly again. so, trial number 3 was the magic number for me. thankfully, the only side-effects i really experienced were mood swings and infrequent headaches, which, in my opinion were worth suffering through.

now that i've been off accutane for over a year and a half my skin is still very clear. of course, i have some *minor* breakouts, but it's nothing remotely comparable to the cysts i had before. what i take now is dynacin for the acne flare-ups that occur occasionally. this medicine has worked wonders for me, however, it can easily cause yeast infections in women if taken everyday, so be aware of this.

ALSO, another medication that i believe has aided in maintaining my clear skin is the Yasmin 28 birth control pill. i know there is a lot of hype regarding different kinds of bcps and their effect on acne, but honestly most of that hype is nothing but bunk--i've tried most of 'em. My dermatologist informed me that there is a small dosage of spironolactone in Yasmin 28, which has scientifically shown to help stop break-outs.

The interesting thing about spironolactone is that it's actually a diuretic and is often not even considered as an acne medication.

My derm. was going to prescribe actual spironolactone to me, but suggested that i try the Yasmin first because it contains a small percentage of it.

So, for all of you that are looking for an alternative to accutane or are simply looking to keep your clear skin after you've been off accutane, i would suggest looking into dynacin and yasmin (girls) or spironolactone (girls and guys).

I have a really informative scientific journal article that i got from my derm about the effects of spironolactone on severe cystic acne. if you would like, i will scan the article and post it. let me know if any of you are interested.

stay positive, things WILL get better.

remember that with the right perspective 'negative' experiences will only make you stronger down the road.

No need for pills. Non Abalative lasers are the way to go. It goes and actually kill the bacteria with 200/300 dollar per session

yeah i feel like im repeating myself over and over on here--but spironolactone is GREAT--has cleared up all my cystic acne! all girls with hormonal acne should give it a try, it really works wonders

I've always had horrible experiences with birth control pills [intense mood swings, weight gain, breakouts], so my derm has been reluctant to start me on a second course of Accutane - especially after he found out that I went off the pill a month after I started the first course.

A girlfriend recommended Yasmin to me, so I asked my OB/GYN about it, and he was incredibly enthusiastic. I skeptically agreed to try it [ONLY to get the second course of Accutane, mind you], and within two days, all of my existing cysts cleared up.

Of course, this lasted only two weeks and now I'm one day from starting the second course of Accutane...

However, I've been on Yasmin now for three months and I have NO side effects [amazing considering even the mini pill caused severe mood problems] at all - no weight gain, no psychosis, not even mild irritability. And even though Yasmin is no longer keeping my face perfectly clear, it certainly seems to be controlling my breakouts to at least a small extent. My acne is quite severe, though, so for someone with a milder case, I would highly recommend switching to Yasmin.

I'm hoping that the second course of Accutane will prove beneficial - I'm nervous that I won't have the luck I did the first time around; I cleared completely within days, taking only 20mg a day, and I stayed clear for two years - and if it does, I'm hoping that continued use of Yasmin will help to keep me clear.

I tried Yasmin...made me depressed. Was not worth it and I did not see any skin improvements either. I've tried 3 different kinds of birthcontrol pills and yasmin was the only one that made me depressed. Now I'm not on any sort of pills and I feel great and my skin looks nicer (??).

Just goes to show you, nothing works for everyone. Treatments that I've heard sworn by don't work for me, and what does, tends not to work for anyone else. Makes the whole thing impossible to deal with, when you know every time someone recommends a miracle, chances are it's not going to work for you at all. I've given up trying anything new.