Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
April

(mental) help needed!

I know that

pick at pimple = makes pimple worse + causes more pimples and looks totally disgusting!

so why do I keep doing it? It's like I know that I should not be doing it, but I am so obsessed with it. I want perfect skin so bad! Does anyone else have this problem or has anyone been able to overcome this? If so, how did you do it??

Do you pick them because you want to get rid of the whiteheads, or is it just habit? I cant help it, and i touch my face all day long. However i dont pick my whiteheads. However they usually break when i wash and put bp on my face. I use so much BP i cant see how any P acne's can live on my face. I still get small pimples and whiteheads.

Well if you want perfect skin, accutane is probably the only real cure. Dans regimen mite get you clear eventually. But you still will break out once in a while.

April you are not abnormal. Plenty of people pick - certainly more than ever confess it. Why do we do it even though we know we shouldn't? frustration, nervousness, a bit of self loathing, and because most treatments are crap and there is that sense that you can't make it worse than it already is. I guess.

I think seeing that your treatment is actually working makes the difference. I stopped picking, prodding and constantly peering in the mirror once my skin started to improve from the regimen.

April I must say i am exactly thinking what u are thinking!!

I want my perfect skin back so much!!

I somtimes just get so fusturated and mad!!

Self confindence are a bit low!!

Even though i dont have bad acne now

just some whitehead!! but i just dont want to look at the mirror, becuase i dont have any whiteheads from b4!!

I had done everything i can and it doesnt seem like is going to get back to where i was before!!

This is real fusturating!!

Acne is sure one of worse disease ever in the world!!

Cancer and Aids - you simply just die and after you are dead you wont see yourself or suffer again!! (although some cases that Cancer can be cure which might brings you to suffer more!)

But Acne you will have to suffer all this pain for the rest of your life!! And I do mean suffer!!!Looking at mirror, seeing yourself!! AHHHHHHHHHHH

I am going crazy!!!!!!!!! :evil:

And No matter what treatments or regimen you use, I just believe that you will not get the perfect skin that you had before those fxxxing acne attacks you!! :shock:

ya i was like that and i sorta still am but i reduced doing it.. i still do it but not as much. my face looks better and i feel alot better lol, anyways try putting ur mind on somethign else.. when u think of picking go get a glass of water and keep drinking the water.. lol because #1 ull help ur skin and #2 ul have ur mind on it :evil:

I know that  

pick at pimple = makes pimple worse + causes more pimples and looks totally disgusting!

For me most of the time it doesnt. It makes the pimple feel much less painful, go away much quicker and less likely to scar. But from reading here it seems most people's skin doesnt work like this or something. The only thing that has helped me in this regard is the regimen, simply cause it gives me less to pick at! :evil:

If picking is a problem, it may actually be a form of ObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder. Neurotic Excoriations. If you find yourself at the mirror picking at your face and you really don't know how go you got there, how long you've been there for, or how many times a day you do it, you really may want to see a doctor. You're not crazy, just a part of your brain chemistry is out of whack. Here is an article on it.

Neurotic excoriations are lesions produced by patients as a result of repetitive skin picking (e.g., Gutpa et al., 1987; Stein et al., 1993). Usually the behavior takes the form of an extensive cleaning ritual (Van Moffaert, 1992), and the patients intend to remove small irregularities on the skin (e.g., blemishes, mosquito bites, dry skin). In more severe cases the habit is uncontrollable and may turn into an urge to dig deep into the skin. Unlike patients with dermatitis artefacta, those with neurotic excoriations usually admit the self-inflicted nature of their lesions (Gutpa et al., 1987). Skin picking can also occur secondary to delusions of parasitosis, but these patients have a psychotic character and therefore differ from those with typical presentations of neurotic excoriations.

We have seen about forty patients over the past few years suffering from neurotic excoriations, and many engage in picking for several hours per day. Patients frequently require dermatological interventions for their skin wounds and infections. Some of our patients reported medical hospitalizations and surgical revisions for wounds that did not heal because they were not able to stop picking. Recently a patient was described who picked a hole through the skin and neck muscles and nearly lacerated her carotid artery. In this case the skin picking had an almost fatal outcome (O9 Sullivan et al., 1997). The lesions are typically in areas of the body that the patients can easily reach, such as face, upper and lower extremities, and upper back (Obermayer, 1955). They are usually a few millimeters in diameter and crusted, weeping or scarred (Griesemer & Nadelson, 1979, Obermayer, 1955). The excoriations are produced with fingernails or small instruments such as tweezers or pins. Picking occurs most frequently in the evening or at night (Freunsgaard, 1984; Zaidens, 1964).

Visual inspection and touching of the skin often precedes picking. Patients describe an uncontrollable urge to pick blemishes, and they report a temporary feeling of relief when blemishes are removed. However, this is soon replaced by a sense of disgust, depression or anxiety (Phillips & Taub, 1995).

Stressful circumstances usually increase picking behaviors. Some patients describe being in an almost trancelike state while picking at lesions. Patients often report that they try to resist the urge, but they usually find it difficult to control. A few of the patients we saw in our clinic looked somewhat disfigured because of scarring that resulted from skin picking, and most of them had mild acne. Patients were generally very embarrassed about their behavior and camouflaged the resulting lesions with make-up or clothing. Skin picking typically does not occur in the presence of other people, but interestingly, occasional patients reported picking at other people9s skin. Several studies described patients suffering from neurotic excoriations as "perfectionistic or having obsessive-compulsive traits, depressive symptoms, anxiety, hysteria, hypochondriasis" (for a review see Gutpa, et al., 1986). However, the lack of modern diagnostic criteria limits the value of these studies. Skin picking has many similarities with OCD, since it is ego-dystonic, repetitive, ritualistic and temporarily relieves tension (Gutpa & Gutpa, 1993; Stein et al. 1993; Stout, 1990). The compulsive and self-destructive quality of the behavior also resembles nailbiting and Trichotillomania. In a recent study, Phillips and Taub (1995) showed that skin picking may be a symptom of Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It can also occur in Tourette9s Disorder (APA, 1994), stereotypic movement disorder (APA, 1994) or Prader-Willi syndrome (Hellings & Warnock, 1994; Warnock & Kestenbaum, 1992).

No data is available on the rate of occurrence of neurotic excoriations in the general population, but the incidence is estimated to be 2% among dermatology patients (Griesemer, 1978). Prevalence is higher in women than in men (Freunsgaard, 1984; Fisher & Pearce, 1974) and the mean age of onset is in the range of 30 to 40 years, however, some researchers reported a peak in the 20s (Obermayer, 1955). The intensity of compulsive skin picking seems to fluctuate, and the mean duration of symptoms is reported to be 5 years (Seitz, 1953) with the majority of patients having symptoms for 10-12 years (Freunsgaard, 1984).

Although dermatologic treatment may help to improve the skin condition, the treatment for neurotic excoriations is primarily psychiatric. Several case reports describe that these patients benefit from treatment with serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Gutpa & Gutpa, 1993; Stein et al., 1993; Stout, 1990). In our anecdotal experience, the patients responded well to the use of SRI medications and/or with behavior therapy. Sometimes, symptoms have been completely eliminated with these approaches. The following are two cases of patients suffering from compulsive skin picking who responded well to cognitive-behavior therapy:

well, I don't think this is me at all cause I don't do it for hours or anything and I don't feel 'a sense of disgust, depression or anxiety '

Thanks for all the responses! I’m glad I’m not alone. I guess sometimes I feel neurotic or whatever, but not all the time. I can relate to some of the stuff that veneficus said, but I’m not THAT freaky! I just know that my acne is not that bad and I often make it worse by messing with it. I really am going to make an effort not to do it and do the drinking water thing starting NOW!!!!! Also, my skin is more sensitive because of the regimen so that is even more of a reason not to touch it.

OMG, this is exactly how I feel.

I know picking will make things worse but I can't stop. Any little pimple or bump under the skin, I pick.

My acne has got gradually better, and I am sure if I just left things I would only get a few lttle bumps each week which people cant see anyway. But I seem to be obsessed with perfection, thinking that I shouldn't even have to put up with that.

My face looked so scabby recently that my Mum made a comment, I have reached an all time mental low, and I just want things to go away.

So, I am really trying hard not to pick at things, in the hope that soon all the scabs will fall off and I will be left with clear skin. If only it were that easy...

Jonathan, try the drinking wather thing like Rabb1t said or think of something else like everytime you go to pick do 5 pushups instead. You will get more energy from the pushups and release endorphins making you feel better and this might help you stay away from the mirror. Also, you will get tired from all the pushups you were doing and will eventually never pick again. Like shock therapy! I'm trying both of these things now. Are you a perfectionist in other ways, too? If so, you will have to work extra hard then because your brain chemistry is the source of your problem (see veneficus).

I've posted this before, but this is what I do to try not to pick...

I put on hand lotion that has a rather potent smell. I got some from Victoria's Secret for X-mas and it smells ok (it doesn't make me sick or anything) but it is really strong. When my hand goes flying to my face, the smell reminds me it shouldn't be there. That and having lotion on my hands and touching my face creeps me out a bit.

Of course, after a while, I was compulsively washing my hands and applying lotion. One habit for another I guess.

The article I posted was an extreme case, everyone picks sometimes! Once a month I'll spend five minutes going medeival on some blackhead ass, I am gentle, then splash on some astringent to close my pores, and the next morning, everything looks fine.

Now, if you really do see yourself in that article, swllow thine pride and get some help. You are not crazy, or ultra-perfectionist, just an imbalance of chemicals, nothing to be ashamed of.

I'll spend five minutes going medeival on some blackhead ass....

inspired description. :-

am gentle, then splash on some astringent to close my pores, and the next morning, everything looks fine.  

Unfortunately, now i'm using BP picking marks which would normally have dissapeared by morning hang around for days :- Anyone else find skin healing is slower?

Aw - yes, red marks take longer to go away with bp (this has been discussed a lot on other threads) and sometimes double long if you pick at them, too. But red marks go away eventually and if you keep using bp then no pimples will come back and then you will be totally clear in 4-6 months. THey say it takes 4-6 months for red marks to fade away. Biore pore strips or tape and vitaK should accelerate this process.