Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would like to know what everyone is doing to their face every day and night, what products they use, and how it has improved or made their acne worse. This would be a great help since I am kind of at a loss at which products to use... I'm currently using nothing... So if people would just post their regimen and stuff here, that would be great. Thanks!

Oh yeah, and if you would mention which products did not work well for you, that would be even more helpful. biggrin.gif

I was on Botchla's regimen for about 7 weeks, and saw no improvement, so I switched to this: (I figured that any chemicals might just irritate me, so I tried a different approach)

Morning and Night

Wash face with Purpose gentle cleansing bar

That's it. I really have a lot of faith in this, and am hoping that it will work. Eventually, I'm going onto a warm water regimen.

I think I'm going to try Dove's Beauty Bar for Sensitive Skin. It has very good ratings/reviews on Makeupalley.com -- most people who have used it gave very nice product ratings saying how it really helped their skin... I think it would be good for my face since I've always been too tough on my skin (hot water, harsh chemicals, etc.)... Maybe simple things will work.

My older brother is on the "Do nothing method" where he just washes his face two times a day with a simple soap bar and puts on a simple, normal moisturizing lotion. It's been working for him, and his skin looks great. He used to have very big pimples. I tried to do that... for a couple days already. I don't think it's working for me though. My complexion looks dull and old and ewww...

I heard that papaya is good for brightening your skin. Does it really work?

I was on Botchla's regimen for about 7 weeks, and saw no improvement, so I switched to this: (I figured that any chemicals might just irritate me, so I tried a different approach)

Morning and Night

Wash face with Purpose gentle cleansing bar

That's it. I really have a lot of faith in this, and am hoping that it will work. Eventually, I'm going onto a warm water regimen.

My regimen, after lots of mistakes and stuff. I get little to no breakouts now, and my red marks are fading well:

Day:

Dove Sensitive Skin bar soap

Proactiv Toner (optional if no red marks)

Green Tea Toner (optional if no red marks)

Proactiv BP (repairing lotion)

Dove Day moisturizer with 15 SPF

Night:

Dove Sensitive Skin bar soap

Egg White / Lemon Mask

Proactiv Toner (optional if no red marks)

Green Tea Toner (optional if no red marks)

Proactiv BP (repairing lotion)

Dove Day moisturizer with 15 SPF

IF there is a pimple appearing, put on Proactiv sulfur mask SPOT treating only.

Right now, I think i'm going to try to find a way to minimize the BP usage because I think that's the only thing that might be still bad for the skin on the face. The rest are pretty healthy and natural. I'm scared to go off it though, because I'm afraid the acne will be coming ... so I'm giving it maybe a few more weeks before I cut it down to only day or night usage (haven't decided which is more important yet).

BIG mistakes I wish I had avoided:

o Proactive Cleanser ... BIG no no, literally had cysts with these. Stopped using it, no cysts, I should have listened to people before.

o Using Irish Spring bar soap on face ... very irritating, more acne

o NOT moisturizing

o Using a moisturizer without SPF ... very bad for the fading of red marks

o Washing my face more than 2 times a day

Things that did not work for me, but no harm done:

o Baking soda/vinegar method

o Tape method

o Neutrogena products in general (haven't tried them all, just the washes, scrubs, etc.)

I hope that helps, but remember that it varies from person to person which is best. I have sensitive skin I guess, it's not that oily anymore but it was when I was washing my face like 4-5 times a day.

What I'm doing now and experiencing godd results with:

Twice a day (morning & evening)

1. wash with Clear Acne Treatment Program (Clear ATP) cleansing scrub

2. Body Shop eye makeup remover (great cause its not oily)

3. Clear ATP acne treatment cream applied to any remaining pimples or areas where I am likely to experience breakouts

4. Clear ATP toning/moisturizing gel applied to entire face

5. Marcelle ultra-rich eye contour gel

6. try to wear as little makeup as possible but when I do I use MAC

Twice a week:

1. Clear ATP salycilic masque - cool cause it heats up a bit

Things I have used in the past:

BAD - proactiv (really dried and aged my skin)

OK - Neutrogena Acne wash (ok but needed more exfoliation)

OK - Neutrogena Mutli-Vitamin lotion for acne prone skin (not bad, my husband uses it now)

NO EFFECT - birth control pill

Yesterday, I spent all day trying to come up with a new regimen, based on products that seemed to have really good reviews on Acne.org, Drustore.com, and Makeupalley.com. I tried to combined products that wouldn't dry out my face, and aren't harsh (so they'd be gentle to use every day), and give you a proper cleansing as well as good protection and treament.

This new regimen is based on my skin type. I don't really break out a lot, but when I do, I get horrible slightly-biggish and almost always red zits, which I'm totally sick of, seeing as how everyone around me seems to have perfect or nearly perfect skin.

The products included are also easy to obtain. Sort of. You can get some of them from Walmart, Macy's, or Sephora. Dunno about the Jojoba Oil, but that could always be replaced by something from The Body Shop, or just cut out of the routine.

Anyway, here's what I gathered:

- Every Morning & Evening:

1. Cleanse - Wash face with Dove Beauty Bar for Sensitive Skin.

2. Tone - Use DDF Glycolic Toner (10%)

3. Treat - DDF BPO 5% Gel with Tea Tree Oil

4. Moisturize - Olay Complete with SPF 15 AND/OR Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil (100%)

I think steps 3 and 4 in the routine could be switched. I don't know, I mean, do you treat first, then moisturize, or do you moisturize, then treat? *shrugs*

Oh yeah, as you can see, I am kind of having a problem with the moisturizing part. I can't seem to find a good moisturizer with SPF 15 that's oil free and won't clog your pores and that kind of stuff. I know Olay does that, but I don't really like the feel of it because I have to wait until it absorbs, which bothers me a bit. I guess I'll have to live with that. As for the Jojoba Oil, I heard it a couple drops could really moisturize your face, and keeps your face clear. I think I read somewhere that bacteria (especially acne causing bacteria?) can't withstand that kind of stuff. It works great for your body and hair too, but it doesn't have SPF 15 though, so maybe I could combine it with Olay lotion or some other lotion...

Of course, I haven't tried this regimen yet, so don't ask me if it works. I'm only hoping it works... for me. All I need to do is go out, buy the products, and use them. It'll probably cost about 60 or 65 dollars... Kind of expensive, but $50 is because of the expensive DDF products. Oh well.

- What Hasn't Worked For Me:

1. Neutrogena Advanced Solutions -- Turns out to not be my solution. Made me break out worse, in my opinion. I liked the night gel/lotion, although it kinda makes your face tight. Feels like I'm wearing a mask that's clear and yeah... Annoying!

2. Other Neutrogena cleansers. Blahhhhhhhh.

3. Clean & Clear cleansers........ More blah.

4. St. Ives Medicated Apricot Scrub -- Good for scrubbing your face, which fixes up a dull complexion (like mine!) but not good when you have horrible, big, red zits on your face. sad.gif Possibly a little harsh on the skin!

5. Biore Ice Wash Cleanser thing -- Does not work at all. Why possessed me to pick this up and buy it?!?!?!

6. Neutrogena Moisturizer thing with Retinol and Salycylic Acid -- Did absolutely nothing for my zits. Only improved the clarity of my complexion. No SPF. GAHWWWWWWWWWHD.

7. Clearasil Ultra 10% BP -- A little help, but doesn't really stop my zits from coming back, obviously. That's why I'm seeking out new products!

8. Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer -- Smells kinda good... doesn't really work. Great for body acne though. No SPF...

That's pretty much it... I have considered Proactiv, Zenmed, and Murad, but I've heard REALLY horrible things about them from people who have used them. They got really bad results after paying tons of money...

Morning:

Wash With Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

Apply Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner with cotton ball to whole face

Apply Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion to whole face

Spot treat with Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Gel if I have time.

Night:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash 60 Second Mask/Scrub

Apply Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner with cotton ball to whole face

Apply Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion to whole face

Spot treat with Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Gel

Apply Klaron Sulfur Lotion(prescription) to acne prone areas

Apply Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Acne Treatmen to acne prone and hyperpigmented areas.

Apply the Proactiv sulfur mask of Queen Helene Mintu Julup Mask onto active pimples, if there are any, and leave on overnight.

I've been on this regimen for about 5 months now.. and it works great. My skin hasn't been this clear for 2 years. I barely ever break out now.. and when I do its much less severe.. usually only one or two small pimples. I wouldn't reccomend this regimen to people with anything more then mild acne though.

I just wash my face with clean and clear blackhead clearing scrub approx once every four hours, i rinse it off with cold water.

I find keeping my face clean around the clock using this one simple product does wonders.

It isn`t harsh, it doesn`t scratch ur face , it doesn`t over dry. Keeps the oil of your face for a few hours.

i would be at a loss without this product, it`s the only thing that helps me!

In the morning I wash my face with hydrogen peroxide and in mid day I put some BP on. Then at night I wash my face with hydrogen peroxide and put some BP on. If I have any acne then I use one of my Neutrogena Acne Patches. Every other day I use the Neutrogena Foam Cleanser.

I cleanse w/ St. Ives makeup removing cleanser (I used to also use BWC makeup remover before this, and will probably buy it again). It's an emollient oil-based, water-soluble cleanser. I emailed reviva labs to ask the ingredients in the super rich cleansing emulsion...it'll probably have fewer unnecessary chemicals (<cough> perfume <cough>) in it. It's supposed to be vegetable oil-based and water soluble too. While in the process of clearing up (the first month on the klaron and tazorac), I used Dove sensitive skin bar. It was among the gentlest foaming cleansers I've used, but is still more drying than I like.

I follow up with a mixture of half emu oil, and half klaron lotion in the morning. Klaron lotion is a very gentle prescription topical antibiotic. At night, I use tazorac cream. (I went w/out the tazorac cream for over a month while on an insurance policy that didn't cover it and my skin stayed clear...evidently the klaron is enough to keep my skin clear, but I'm using the tazorac again since it should help clear up the old redmarks faster). I'm completely clear on this regimen.

In the morning, I also put on powder foundation and blush.

I think steps 3 and 4 in the routine could be switched. I don't know, I mean, do you treat first, then moisturize, or do you moisturize, then treat? *shrugs*

Oh yeah, as you can see, I am kind of having a problem with the moisturizing part. I can't seem to find a good moisturizer with SPF 15 that's oil free and won't clog your pores and that kind of stuff. I know Olay does that, but I don't really like the feel of it because I have to wait until it absorbs, which bothers me a bit. I guess I'll have to live with that. As for the Jojoba Oil, I heard it a couple drops could really moisturize your face, and keeps your face clear. I think I read somewhere that bacteria (especially acne causing bacteria?) can't withstand that kind of stuff. It works great for your body and hair too, but it doesn't have SPF 15 though, so maybe I could combine it with Olay lotion or some other lotion...

tongue.gif That sounds like a good plan, but I think I'd go with the BP 24/7 because it's less of a hassle for me... I'm lazy like that. tongue.gif Oh, and I'm not very oily; just a bit in my T-zone, but that's ok. I'm getting a new lotion later (DDF Matte Finish Photo-Age Protection SPF 30). It's awesome. I got some samples at the professional skincare counter at Macy's and it's great for absorbing oil and it's not greasy at all! The skin just takes in the right away. Kind of like a powdery finish, only better and smoother. Oh, and it has some antioxidants in it, so that's great too.

Morning:

*Aubrey Organics- Vegecol cleansing lotion

*Kiss My Face- Cell Block spf 15 moisturizer

Evening:

*Alpha Skincare: Kukui & Grapeseed Cleansing oil (to remove my make-up)

*Aubrey's Vegecol cleanser

*Aubrey's Rose Mosqueta toner

*Small bit of either jojoba, emu, or shea butter for around my eyes, nose and lips

*Niora: Intensive moisturiser (10% aha)

And yes, I'm very happy with my routine! smile.gif

Raina, you use a lotion to cleanse your face? That's weird, lol. I've never tried that before. But I guess it must work well for you if you're still sticking with it. smile.gif

6 grams of B5 daily

wash with gentle Aubrey's cleanser only at night.

Aloe vera or jojoba oil for moisturizer.

I'm pretty much clear, except for a few tiny clogged pores. It's the b5 that did it because I've done the other two things for years.

I have been using the burt's bees line and it has made my skin complexion better. So I think I'm going to stick with this for a while, plus with the use of my BP biggrin.gif