Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oakley

Oakleys Accutane Journal

So, here i am like many on the board, going down the nervous path of accutane.

I am going to take my 5th 40mg pill so far this week, (1 a day). I was very nervous about going on accutane due to everything i have read here, and in other medical journals. Even the drug itself has a whole list of warnings, which are pretty standard when taking any sort of meds.

I haven't noticed any side effects as of yet. My joints don't seem to ache, my skin may be in the process of drying on me, i had alot of facial stubble/growth for the first 3 1/2 days. I have since shaved it all off and i shaved my head as well, in case the hair thins. So now i look like a monk....ah to be in Tibet.

My lips are probably starting to dry, but i am using blistex to keep them moist, mmmmmm tastes good.

no headaches, but i did get some new pimples, but b/c of all my hair on my face, and the fact that i stopped the regimen, its hard to tell if its just my persistent stubborn acne, or the accutane.

My derm said b/c my acne is stubborn, topicals etc were likely not to work. Since meds i took when i was a young teen didn't work i decided to take the plunge. Plus this derm i am seeing is the number one guy on the westcoast of canada.

The decision was easy b/c my health insurance covers the full cost, like all my other drugs that i purchase, actually i don't purchase many drugs b/c other than acne, i rarely ever get sick. cool.gif

so off i go, into a journey i don't know........ but you can follow along if you like, and here hopefully of my delight (when its all said and done)

Plus i will likely ask questions if people are following along and anyone takes notice of my plight. I have no expectations of this drug, i want to see what it does for the 4-6 months i am on it. Hopefully it will clear me up and then i can take on another difficult journey of trying to make my scars look better.

ok, so its been a week now, i got 10 new pimples 5 big ones, which are all starting to go away.

I suffer from the dry eyes, itch skin/face/nose etc.....dry lips, nothing is too bad yet.....face is read and blotchy...sigh....

but i think its getting better

Hi mate. Just to say good luck with your course, and also i am 1 week behind you so it will be interesting to compare our experiences.

Hey man, your skin is going to be looking great in no time! Your acne may be stubborn now, but it wont be for long cool.gif

Don't be worried Accutane is WAY too over hyped, it's really not that bad.

Ayla232 thats cool...its nice to know someone is in the same boat at the same time, it will be interesting to compare.

Keeger, thanx mate, i think its overhpyed as well, but we shall see. Anything to prevent any new scarring.....

i am going to miss the sunshine

Well i am now 15 pills into the accutane and i have to admit, yes my eyes are a bit dry, and my lips at times feel dry....but for the most part i think i have just gotten used to it.

head seems itchy and a bit flaky..... but again as long as i don't scratch i seem to be carrying on like normal.

Face is a bit red, not getting used to BP red, kinda like after you put on moisturizer for us whiteys.

Face has almost completely cleared up, some stubborn redmarks of course, from previous acne, and an odd new pimple here or there, but not as big, nor do they last as long, or seem to bug me.

Dunno if its part placebo effect or what, but i feel much better about myself these days, and my skin looks way better. Wish i had just gone on this years ago instead of praying it would go away.

anyways thats my update...go for a blood test again in a week, and see the derm for the first time since he put me on it.

people r complimenting how good i look...... so things are looking up

Damm lips are soooooooooooo dry......

So i picked my skin on my lips and bled like a stuck pig....never do that..do not pick your dry skin......

other than that.....things are good, red marks continue to plague me, but any new acne dies quick, isn't leaving marks, and therefore isnt' too bothersome.

Just a little update.

Nice one mate...keep up the good progress biggrin.gif

Yeh i woke up the other day with outrageously dry lips...had to go get some good lip creams. Found out that putting on stuff like Blistex or Vaseline too often actually makes your lips worse, so im regularly using Nivea lip care (which contains Shea Butter, which is natural and better than the others).

Good luck,

Jon

one new pimple, its an undergrounder, so of course it hurts....

lips are chapped something fierce, ripped all the bottom layer off and it bled like a stuck pig.....bought new blistex cream, enough of that chapstick stuff.....

face is clear for hte most part, waiting with apprehension to figure out which red marks are going to scar..and which ones won't.

Well, just had my first month of accutane go by, and i am happy to report, not one new blemish in almost two weeks time. This stuff is totally working for me. My derm is so impressed he has already given me this cream for my red marks and mild scarring to be used simultaneously with the accutane.

If everything keeps going at this pace, i will only have to be on accutane for four months instead of six!!!! Wootin tootin.

I had dry ripped lips but i used this product from mary kay of all places and after 36hrs straight of loobed lips, they have completely healed. It was so bad, they were chapped, ripped, swollen, bleeding, etc, and I had lost teh complete bottom layer. Today they are smooth as a babies bum!!!

The cream i am using for the red marks is a vitamin C cream and it seems to be working well. Already i notice my red marks disappearing and its only been two days.

Needless to say....my mood these days is much better.......aaaaaaaaaah spring is in the air, bring on the girls tongue.gif

So its been two months on the accutane now and things are rolling along. The drug has been working so well that it is causing problems with my liver, so now i am taking the same dose, but less frequently. Only 3 x now instead of every day.

the doc says my skin has cleared up and he can see everything moving under my skin, and that my shallow scarring is leveling out and slowly disappearing. That last statement is subject to interpretation, but perhaps b/c i have stared at my face in a mirror for so long i just don't see the changes..who knows....either way, things are way better and my mood is really good.

i am taking a cream to fade my redmarks, and it is working just as well, my redmarks are well on their way out...which is also a big part of my high spirits.