Notifications
Clear all

Sword's Dermabration by Dr. Y

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/16/2005 3:00 pm

DETAILS .

Hi,

I arrived at Dr. Y's clinic at 2:30 pm, and was warmly welcomed by Cassandra and Dr. Y. Dr. Y gave me a bear hug and shaked my hand. He then patiently explained to me about the healing process, hyperpigmentation, redness, risks, etc. I feared that my forehead's skin was too thin to be dermabraded, he explained that he would only dermabrade down to a safe layer (I forgot the term for that), and he can tell when that layer is reached. He also said my shallow icepicks will respond well to the procedure.

After the paper work, I washed my face with surgical soap, put on the operating hat and gown. Cassandra gave me the 2 shots and a helium pill to hold under the tongue. By the time they began, I was already half out.

The freezing spray and the wirebrush was a little irritating but there was no pain. In about an hour it was all done, and I was still under the influence of the shots. Guess what, Cassandra wheelchaired me to the parkling lot and Dr. drove me back to my hotel!! How sweet of them.

I pretty much slept until this morning. Eating and drinking in my first mask was ... difficult. Blowing the nose was also a challenge .. I was so glad when Cassandra took the mask off this morning. Considering my derm was in the afternoon and it had been less than 24 hours, she said I am making good progress.

She cleaned my face, and then offered me coffee and home baked brownies ... yumm! Then Dr. Y came in to check on me, he also said I am doing well. Cassandra put the 2nd mask on me, which makes eating and drinking a LOT easier ... she also wants me to vaseline any exposed area that becomes dry. I shall return Thursday to apply the 3rd mask, and Friday to have it taken off.

Cassandra said I could jog or lift light next week if I want to, but absolutely no heavy lifting for I'll risk bursting artilleries on my face and it will stay red longer.

If my face wasn't dripping so much I would venture to explore the city .... but for now, I will just rest at my hotel room, play some Counter Strike, or even get some work done on my notebook.

One thing I notice, the restaurants here serves big generous portion!! The madarin chicken salad at Wendys must be 3 times the size I get at home!

Thats it for now ... thanks for reading.

Regards,

Sword

MemberMember
(@arcticmonkey)

Posted : 02/16/2005 4:03 pm

Woohoo! i'm so happy for you, i love hearing everyones dermabrasion stories! lol, i'm booked in to get mine in just 6 weeks, i cant wait!!! eusa_dance.gif

Good luck with your healing!

MemberMember
(@kwi1225)

Posted : 02/16/2005 4:31 pm

thank you for posting your experience!!

i, myself have an appointment coming up in less than two weeks, and hearing about your experience kinda helped me to be at ease..

take care of yourself, and i really hope you'll get the results you aimed for~

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/16/2005 4:32 pm

Thanks Miss Shady biggrin.gif , and I shall look out for your report in April!

Take care,

(a heavily bandaged )Sword

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/16/2005 4:42 pm

Hi Kwi,

I post so little, I am just glad to contribute in any small ways back to the forum.

The hotel receptionistis so nice to arrange my taxi rides for me. Even had a good chat with the Taxi driver on my trip back to the hotel this morning. You will feel right at home here!

Regards,

Sword

thank you for posting your experience!!

i, myself have an appointment coming up in less than two weeks, and hearing about your experience kinda helped me to be at ease..

take care of yourself, and i really hope you'll get the results you aimed for~

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/16/2005 4:46 pm

"One thing I notice, the restaurants here serves big generous portion!! The madarin chicken salad at Wendys must be 3 times the size I get in Toronto!"

yah that's why half of America can't fit through there front doors lol.gif

Shady, my derma is 5 weeks! Where are you staying?

MemberMember
(@arcticmonkey)

Posted : 02/16/2005 5:34 pm

Hey niko, i'm staying at the Clarion Hotel Grand Boutique, where are you staying?

MemberMember
(@john-syndey)

Posted : 02/16/2005 7:36 pm

The Clarion Grand is a great place to Stay. If you ask for Gary, the manager there and mention your a patient of Doctor Y's, they give you a real good rate on your room unless booked out.

I used to walk from there each day to get my dressings changed (about three miles) but you can catch a street car and then 10 minute walk. Alternatively By cab it is only $7 but it is a real nice hotel and they are very keen to help Doctor Y's patients there. Plus the Garden district in St Charles Avenue is Beautiful.

MemberMember
(@templeguy)

Posted : 02/16/2005 8:18 pm

Sword,

Good to hear you're doing well...keep us posted on your progress..

Take care and Good Luck!!!

TG eusa_angel.gif

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/16/2005 8:39 pm

niko,

I thought the food portions are big because ppl here are generous lol. I ordered ham and egg sandwich for breakfast at a "Please U" restaurant, when I finished there was enough left for lunch!!

Hi John,

I tried but Clarion was all booked up ... Cassandra talked fondly of you, Poe, portland boy and a few others biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif. I must show her how to navigate this forum so she can keep in touch with us.

Temple Guy,

Thanks .... I am still very drippy .... can't wait to change my mask again.

Thanks All for keeping me company ... ttyl.

Regards,

Sword

MemberMember
(@john-syndey)

Posted : 02/16/2005 9:06 pm

Hi Sword,

Thanks for passing on the words from Cassandra.

Cassandra is the absolute best. I missed out of getting to know her first time around as she was on vacation but this time she was there the whole time and I really like her. I told Doctor Y that regardless of how nice she is she is one of the hardest workers & best I have seen in all the companies I have worked. Plus her size two shoes, purchased from the childs department store, are so cute!

Shame about the Clarion I am told the Avenue Garden hotel down the road is $50 per night (if not booked out) and nice as well.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/16/2005 9:25 pm

Hi John,

I have to agree Cassandra work very hard and dedicate 110% to help Dr. Y and his patients. Yes she is petit but I did not pay attention to her shoes :-) If you would like I can pass your regards to her tomorrow.

If I come for my 2nd derm or even just visit, I shall definitely stay at the Clarion.

You know, I was so ignorant of US Geography, when I first read LA being the state New Orleans belongs to, I thought New Orleans was part of Los Angelos! The really confused me until I looked it up lol.gif

Best wishes to your healing!

Regards,

A drippy Sword

MemberMember
(@k9lover)

Posted : 02/17/2005 6:32 am

Sword, Thank you so much for the updates on your dermabrasion. My dermabrasion is scheduled with Dr. Y on March 15th. Like you I am both excited and scared to death.

I wish you all the best in your healing process. That is what I am dreading.

Thanks Again,

k9lover

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/17/2005 8:47 am

Thanks for the good wishes k9lover. My best wishes to you too! lol.gif

As for the healing period .... if there is measurable results then I don't mind biting the bullet anymore.

There is only 24 more hours of big mummy mask for me .... yay! I don't mind to go out wearing it if it stays neat and tidy all day. Afterall, no one knows you here in New Orleans anyway hee hee.

But as the day goes the fluid produced by the skin's defence mechanism accumulates inside the mask. I don't want to have to drain the fluid while I am eating at a restaurant / shopping! Maybe I should bring a drain pump if I do this again. j/k.

Area around the mouth exposed to the air has turned brown and crusty.

I 'll let you know what Cassandra will do with it today.

I could not find the meldro-dose pack (prescription to prevent swelling) in Canada. Had to get it here the day of the dermabrasion. I am asian and it is likely I will hyperpigment. I don't want to risk not finding the tri luma cream at home so Cassandra called in the Walgreen pharmacy next to the clinic and I will pick it up today.

Later!!

Sword

MemberMember
(@k9lover)

Posted : 02/17/2005 10:28 am

I am with you if I get some improvement I will bite the big one also. You are a brave soul. I don't know if I will get out and walk around with my mask. My mom and sister will be with me so that will help. I am not one to sit around so I will probably go stir crazy.

I do wish you the best. Thanks for your imput.

k9lover

MemberMember
(@aquablue99)

Posted : 02/17/2005 11:05 am

Sword, nice to hear that you are doing well. A few questions though. I too am asian and a derm here said that due to my skin tone, I was at high risk for hypopigmentation if I got a full facial dermabrasion. He said that there was a good chance that it would look like I was wearing a white mask. Reading your posts, you only mention hyperpigmentation, so I was just wondering what did Dr. Y have to say, if anything, about people with our skin color?

MemberMember
(@shade)

Posted : 02/17/2005 12:18 pm

Sword, nice to hear that you are doing well. A few questions though. I too am asian and a derm here said that due to my skin tone, I was at high risk for hypopigmentation if I got a full facial dermabrasion. He said that there was a good chance that it would look like I was wearing a white mask. Reading your posts, you only mention hyperpigmentation, so I was just wondering what did Dr. Y have to say, if anything, about people with our skin color?

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/17/2005 3:42 pm

Post Op day 2:

Just came back from my 3rd visit. Cassandra cleaned up my face and pointed out the new growing skin. They have a pink / white look as opposed to the bloody red area where new skin has not grown yet. So far I am making pretty good progress, except my face is still very tender and gets sore when touched. new skin also forms in patches, some area may lag behind the others when healing, but eventually they will synchonize. We expect more new skin showing tomorrow morning.

Cassandra showed me 2 old before / after photo albums of past dermabrasion patients. Pretty amazing results I must say.

I shall go there one more time tomorrow to have the mask removed and my final clean up ... Dr. Y and Cassandra will be on holiday but Becky will be there, so if you have any questions please let me know soon.

k9lover,

Thanks. I got inspirations from veteran Dr Y patients here, most I have not even talked to. On a lighter note, I think Dr. Y and Cassandra needs a system to keep track of our (i.e. patients) real names and aliases.

John Sydney,

Cassandra sends you her warm regards. biggrin.gif

Aquablue,

Dr Y is not at the office this afternoon, but I asked Cassandra anyway. By not exposing the new pink skin (ie. skin that grows after the bloody bloody red phase) to the sun and wind, you can reduce the possibility of hypopigmentation. Still, there is a 4% to 5% chance that your skin will become lighter than it was.

In a nut shell, one must be vigilant about blocking your skin from the elements until the natural skin tone returns.

Regards,

Sword

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/17/2005 5:56 pm

I was PM'ed by a few members asking about hotel information. Here is a link LOVE posted some time ago ...

click here

Thanks LOVE!!

MemberMember
(@aquablue99)

Posted : 02/17/2005 6:24 pm

Sword, that was really nice of you to ask for me. Now, was this 4-5% chance of hypo for the general population or for darker skinned people? I just got so scared when i visited my derm and he told me I was at high risk for it. But 4-5% doesn't seem that high to me. Do you know if we could ever go back into the sun, wind, again after a dermabrasion, if so who long, i figure it would be years? Anyways, your a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/17/2005 7:31 pm

Hi AquaBlue,

Oh no no no I am no wealth of knowledge .... I am just a guy who will go the distance for something that works ...

The 4% to 5% is probrably what Dr Y. had seen, I don't think it is based on any formal studies. Basically there is a low risk of hypopigmentation asian people have to take.

You can go back into the Sun after the skin is fully pigmented (but for good measure you should put sunblock on anyway!). The time depends on the individual, but it can be as soon as 3 months post derm. For sure you won't see me in the beach this summer!

Regards,

Sword

Sword, that was really nice of you to ask for me.AA Now, was this 4-5% chance of hypo for the general population or for darker skinned people?AA I just got so scared when i visited my derm and he told me I was at high risk for it.AA But 4-5% doesn't seem that high to me.AA Do you know if we could ever go back into the sun, wind, again after a dermabrasion, if so who long, i figure it would be years?AA Anyways, your a wealth of knowledge.AA Thanks again

MemberMember
(@hopefulskin)

Posted : 02/17/2005 11:42 pm

Hello Sword and to all the previous dermabrasion patients who so carefully detailed their accounts on acne.org,

I thank you for your posts. Because of all that I've learned from this site, and the confidence I now feel in taking action regarding my scars, I've made my dermabrasion appointment with Dr. Y. I had to schedule it for June (punch floats), and July (dermabrasion) because I'm currently finishing off my graduate studies.

About my scarring, I have mild to moderate. My forehead has several icepick scars and my right cheek has a broad rolling scar with a few icepicks. I'm also of asian descent -specifically Korean.

Sword, I just wanted to know what type of scarring you had before the procedure.

Thanks,

Donna

MemberMember
(@amnesiac)

Posted : 02/18/2005 12:00 am

Hey,

well i am scheduled for april 12th, seem there was a mix up and i was told the 11th, good thing i called, anyways i will be there from the 10th so i can go about the city, if anyone is going to be there let me know.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/18/2005 1:06 am

My dressing is a lot less drippy than yesterday .... my face feels a lot of snug in this mask (in good contact with the vigilon gel sheet) than the last two. I am going to just sleep and let my body do the healing. ZZzzzzz

Hello Donna,

Dr. Y categorized my scars as shallow icepicks scattered on forehead, nose and both cheeks. Best of luck to your derma and speedy recovery. Keep us all posted!

Regards,

Sword (10 hours and I can take off the last dressing ... yay!!!)

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 02/18/2005 8:38 pm

I am having a moment of weakness because it seems so much is not under my control at this moment.

I had my last dressing taken off this morning. My face is raw, bloody looking in some area, still oozing, swollen, and hurts when I move any facial muscles or when I wash my face. The slightest wind on my face would magnify into tingling pain. I had one gallon of water today and I am still thirsty. It is so hard to see in the white paper mask. I am so not ready to get on the plane tomorrow in this shape.

Luckily, reading portlandboy's journal gives me some comfort. I feel better now knowing I am on par with his post op day 3 progress, and that he healed much better in the following days. It is weird but its like reading my own pre-written dairy. If you are reading this, thanks for sharing your journey portlandboy. eusa_pray.gif

Its time to let the survivor in me take charge now .... mad.gif